Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Volume posted:

First episode is complete poo poo but gets better at episode 2, masters it at 3, and stays good. If you're not hooked by episode 3 then you won't like it

This is completely true. I think a lot of Netflix shows are similar - they kind of front load a lot of exposition so the first episode or two seems really weak, but then things start coming together fast. Bojack Horseman was the same way (and in that case it went so far as to kind of disguise the show's genre as a lovely sitcom instead of the bizarre dramedy it is by the end).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The Big Lebowski is (back?) up on Netflix Instant now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

Re-watching 3rd Rock from the Sun. It reminds me how impressed I was at how long they could run with that gimmicky premise.

I always hated the show when it was on but my fiancé put it on while we were playing some board game and I got kind of hooked. It's weird that it is simultaneously 90s as hell but still has aged well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The first time my fiance watched Big Trouble in Little China she was convinced that it wasn't meant to be comedic and it was just all around bad. It wasn't until the giant neon skull lair and Kurt Russell facing down the big bad with a streak of kissed-on lipstick that she conceded that indeed, the camp was intentional.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

John Big Booty posted:

It has its moments, but god drat if they have both let it drag on waaaaay too long and totally suck balls in everything else they've done.

Yeah it starts bad, gets funny, then just overstays it's welcome in a serious, serious way. And the Live in Dublin thing was actively painful to watch.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

All 12 seasons of red vs blue is on netflix and it is still funny / great. Really really good.

I started this while my fiancé (who to my knowledge has never played Halo in her life) was busy with something, kind of expecting it to be unwatchable except for nostalgia. She caught the end of one episode, laughed a ton, and threw it on when we were looking for something funny to watch.

I think without my idiot high school friends quoting entire episodes day in and day out it kinda feels fresh again.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Watrick posted:

I know goons have love for Danganronpa. It's up on Hulu.

There's a show? The games are a guilty pleasure but only because they scratch a murder mystery itch I didn't realize I had.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I finally finished Bojack Season 2 and man that show is just incredible. It has such ridiculous highs and lows in every single episode.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

syscall girl posted:

I rewatched bojack s2 and I can't find any faults in it. If anyone is on the fence about it look up the cast list on imdb. Lots of talented people threw their hats in and did very subtle voice work. If you're like me and tend to try to identify people by voice it's distracting but amazing who's on that show.

I chuckled about the Character Actress Margo Martindale bit right before seeing her in another movie and trying to figure out who she was - "oh, she's that woman from Justified, and..." Then I looked up her IMDB and yep, character actress Margo Martindale.

Never forgetting her name again.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

Aziz Ansari's new Netflix series, Master of None, is pretty great so far.

Is this good even if you've grown to hate Ansari's whole persona? Watching his stand up has made me retroactively dislike him in Parks and Rec.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Its got some great stuff going on later, but I felt the finale was a bit weak. Overall a fantastic ride though, and David Tennant plays a crazy villain well.

So hype for Luke Cage now it's not even funny. The actor they got for him is great.

Knowing absolutely gently caress-nothing about Jessica Jones I still went "holy poo poo is that Luke Cage" the second you see him behind the bar for the first time.

Marvel's casting for the Netflix series' is incredible.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Man are new Rick and Morty eps ever going to come to Hulu or what the gently caress?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rolo posted:

Heck I'm thinking of cancelling all of my streaming stuff for 6 months to give this poo poo some time to repopulate. It's been like four months since something came on that made me say "oh, cool."

For what it's worth Jessica Jones on Netflix is really good. I was kinda psyched for Daredevil but walked away completely underwhelmed (other than the casting which was incredible). Jessica Jones I had never heard of and went in expecting the worst after DD and ended up binging it with my fiancé over a week - and it would have been a lot less if not for the heavy overtones of abuse that made it uncomfortable to just plow through at times.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Everyone should watch One Punch Man on hulu.

Is this hilarious? It looks hilarious from what little I've learned about it through Internet osmosis.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ok Fella posted:

Also highly recommending F is for Family, really funny and the writing is excellent. It's the most genuine portrayal of a family I've seen in a long time.

I'm not sure why there's so much Daredevil hate, I though it was good. What's the beef?

Daredevil had incredible casting and just bizarrely weak pacing and writing. Like who the hell thought the priest episode was worth a solid hour? Anyone watching a tv show about Daredevil of all freaking superheroes is going to have endured that whole "should I kill this guy? I mean, killing is wrong, but this guy is SUPER MEAN" debate in literally every other piece of superhero media in the past three decades. It added nothing new to the characters or the debate itself and was just an hour of handwringing over something that was a foregone conclusion anyway.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rolo posted:

I never was a comic book person, but I grew up watching the animated Batman and Superman cartoons (because they ruled) and I gotta say that The Flashpoint Paradox was a lot more hosed up than I was expecting. That poo poo is dark. I mean geez.

I just found out this was on Netflix. The original comic event was great, I can't wait to watch this.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the new season of Todd Margaret, which is fantastic and a little surreal.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

wormil posted:

I'll watch it. The 2001 Tick had an awesome pilot but the series sucked.

Fight me you honorless whoreson.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Oh god no.
It's a musical comedy show that is a send-up of all the classical hero tales.
It's very funny and there are some very unexpected character arcs.

I'm on episode two of this and it is surprisingly good. I kind of just threw it on so my wife wouldn't burn through Parks and Rec for a ninth time but it's making me laugh out loud a few times an episode. Plus it has Timothy Omundson, who owns

fake edit: holy crap the training montage scene is hilarious.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

A Series of Unfortunate Events went live and I thought the first season was pretty great.

This has pretty decent production values for a kids show, too - the casting is impeccable but the art direction is also great. It reminds me a lot of Pushing Daisies.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I've been watching Haters Back Off recently and it's really hilarious while also being abrasive enough that its 2 star rating on Netflix is completely understandable. If you could stomach Napoleon Dynamite, give it a try.

It also stars the guy who plays Todd in the Grinder, which is a decently funny sitcom, also available on Netflix.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Speaking of shows that people didn't give a chance because the name was dumb, Don't Trust The B in Apartment 23 is fantastic.

It's one of the best sitcoms of the last decade but I feel like it really was already losing steam by the second season. What's available is still incredible and I recommend it to everyone, but it's not a show where I feel it needed a lot more seasons.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I just finished Haters Back Off and the final episode made it even better than it was before in my eyes. It's like a punch to the gut that you know is coming but it still manages to catch you off guard.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

syscall girl posted:

"I have soft orphan lips"

The whole Annie scene had me laughing so hard it hurt. Seriously though, the line "Why do you think it's funny that someone could love me?!" in the last episode was pretty devastating even though she obviously made her own bed and screwed everything up. The art school scene in the penultimate episode was heavy, too. All the characters (except Emily obviously) are so zany and dumb that the drama really can catch you off guard.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

wormil posted:

I wish there was less swearing in Santa Clarita Diet, not because swearing bothers me but because they don't do it naturally. Every time they say, "gently caress!" it feels like someone held up a sign with that word on it. Show is otherwise awesome.

I feel like...the complete opposite of this. It's jarring because it's Oliphant's character waayyyyy out of his element, and he's trying to roll with it as best he can, but sometimes he just comes up short and shouts "FUUUUUCK" as he realizes the mess his life has become. It's the only time I've ever thought that excessive swearing in a show has been funny, the delivery is just perfect. Plus, Abby's line at the beginning ("I think I'm going to be swearing in front of you guys a lot more," "Yeah, that's fair") sets it up as a sort of running gag.

The only bad part (other than one thing I'm going to take to the IIMM thread) is how abruptly it ended.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Not a spoiler, no - but of course I can't really talk about that without actually discussing the ending, which would be a spoiler. The IIMM thread is Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments.: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631122

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Finished Travelers last night. Awesome show, although I feel like it fell victim to that Netflix Original curse where there was one episode where nothing happened that could have been completely cut from the season and improved it overall.

A question for those who have seen it, since I'm not sure if I missed something: in episode 8 (I think), Bishop, what was up with that senator who got killed by his wife in the beginning? She didn't seem to be a Traveler and I don't think it got touched on again.

Len posted:

It's the only good Scooby Doo that doesn't have Wrestlemania in the title.

There was some Scooby Doo episode I saw when I was hungover/possibly still drunk where they were running around with Johnny Bravo, it was pretty funny but now that I'm typing that out I'm not convinced it exists.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I just finished up the first season of The Magicians on Netflix and I am really jonesing for more. It's campy at times and the main character and his love interest are both wet farts but everything else about it is so fun it more than makes up for its few shortcomings.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Kung Fury is really great. It's a lot of lolrandom style humor but it's well-done enough to be entertaining and short enough to not overstay its welcome.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Bob's Burgers is leaving Netflix on April 1st.

:(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

As a counter opinion, I'm like three or four episodes in and I like it so far. After how heavy JJ and Luke Cage were, it's nice to have a goofier story about billionaire dickheads loving with each other and a smelly hobo guy throwing them all off their game. Even episode two, which was really stupidly dark and tried to make the viewer think some things that were obviously not true, still was lighter in tone than most episodes of any of the other Marvel shows.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

I feel like I got pretty quick what Haters Back Off was going for with so many absurd characters, and I was totally down for it. But it just didn't really hit the mark for me.

It felt kind of - I don't know the right word - 'disingenuous' to make everybody completely ridiculous, and then whip back to pin the drama on the one normal character. Like you can't tell the audience to be whisked away into that wacky world only to then treat the way that world affects a normal person seriously/dramatically. If that makes sense?

I didn't mind it though; I'll probably give season 2 a try when it comes.

Did you watch to the end of the first season? Because all of the "wacky" characters get hit with the drama hammer super hard. It's emotionally draining to watch but I thought it did what it was trying to do very well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Hulu has always been a garbage fire of an app, though. Their search on consoles is just unforgivable.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

A lot of the dialogue on Riverdale, the noir-ish crime story set in a gritty Archie reboot, is really bad. Some of the acting is just astoundingly wooden.

...And yet, I can't stop watching. It's like a virus.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I like Castlevania, it's a very funny show with competent writing and excellent fight scenes. The over the top gore, somewhat dark (BUT EXTREMELY CAMPY) characters balance out well with what the series is trying to do. They're also trying their best with the source material, and I enjoy it so much. My girlfriend and I got back into anime after this one, because it was just that good. I know a lot of you guys are down on it, but I think the first 4 episodes are just a taste of what's to come, and it's just so perfectly executed that I'm ecstatic with it.

e: I think something you have to pick up on pretty quick is that it's %100 intended to be a gallows humor comedy. If you pick up on that right at the beginning, you're going to be laughing a lot through it, which I thought was brilliant giving the kind of IP Castlevania is.

Yeah - the whole series was written by Warren Ellis, and it really shows. I like it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Orange is the New Black: Season 5 (U.S. Netflix but probably elsewhere)

I'm torn. A lot of season 5 is really good. Some parts are really bad. If I were to go back and watch it again, I'd skip everything involving Piper and Alex and the tragically non-comedic comic relief of the two racist methheads that I care so little about that I can't even remember their names. The former relationship is stale as a week-old baguette at this point and the latter gimmick is yawn-inspiringly boring.

I'm like halfway through this season and it's kind of jarring. I liked the setup and I like that they're changing things up but it seems like they've completely tossed subtlety out the window, not that OitNB was ever really understated. It just keeps bashing the viewer over the head with stuff. "HEY LOOK!! Alex is trying to avoid being a leader but she's giving her speech in front of a big bold sign calling her a king! Let's linger on that shot for a full minute, to make sure that people see it! Oh hey, the Muslim woman and the blonde white power woman are both dealing with nearly identical relationship woes, but they can't commiserate because of their racism and prejudice! Do you know what we haven't done on this show? A hamfisted rooftop Pieta!"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

:agreed:

I often wonder what were they thinking

They were thinking "how can we make this actively poo poo to use" because it's run by a bunch of cable and network TV companies with an active stake in people not streaming poo poo all the time. Genuinely curious how you didn't know that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Stranger Things is a fun show but it's not super-ultra-lifechangingly brilliant or anything. If you're not feeling the first couple episodes, you probably won't enjoy the rest, even if the characters do get a lot more fun as things go on.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm not done with it yet but I can second/third American Vandal.

I also just burned through The Good Place in like two or three days and I think it might be one of my favorite sitcoms ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

syscall girl posted:

That show owns. NO ONE SPOIL IT

Good to see Ted Danson getting work that's not on CYE too.

The Good Place is very possibly my all time favorite show just from the first two seasons.