Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Vegetable posted:

Boardwalk Empire is as good as it gets for HBO on Amazon Prime. Plus it's over so you can pick up the final season on DVD or whatever if you like closure.
When did "closure" become a synonym for "being disappointed"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

mamelon posted:

It's somehow the most subtle of a ridiculous series of films, and took me a long time to really appreciate because Shaun of the Dead makes you expect something more off-the-wall than HF actually is. Agreed that repeat viewing makes it more enjoyable.

...Is Hot Fuzz really Empire Strikes Back in spirit?
No way. The bad guys lose, no one gets maimed or frozen, and the hero winds up with his love interest.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

What version of Hot Fuzz are you watching where no one gets maimed
Well, no one got their hand chopped off, at least.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

coyo7e posted:

gently caress everything, Cervantes was the nadir of fourth-wall breaking. It's all been downhill for a few hundred years since.

Downhill from the lowest point?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Rolo posted:

Left Behind is up and I am halfway through it.

I'm not gonna make it sarge.
Abort! Abort!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I can't stand the show but I'm in the minority. Its just too dumb for me.
It has its moments, but god drat if they have both let it drag on waaaaay too long and totally suck balls in everything else they've done.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

Yeah it starts bad, gets funny, then just overstays it's welcome in a serious, serious way. And the Live in Dublin thing was actively painful to watch.
Never bothered with it, but I can't imagine it's even 1/10th as ball-shrivelingly embarrassing and sad as this.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

fliptophead posted:

I wonder what Tim Burton's Roadhouse would be like
Swayze would have become a bouncer to prove something to his disapproving, emotionally distant father.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Speaking of HBONow, what shows are worth marathon-ing? We signed up to keep up with Game of Thrones, and will most likely cancel once it's over, but would like to get our money's worth while we do have it.

Already seen (and loved) The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, and Six Feet Under, just wondering about the more current stuff.
Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, Angels in America, True Detective Season 1 (season 2, if you're nasty), Bored to Death

If you want to be grossed out: Real Sex

If you're a total d-bag: Vice, Entourage

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

epsilon-6 posted:

So does anybody have any theories on what the gently caress was going on in season 3 of Todd Margaret?
Dave fled across the desert and Todd Margaret followed him.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I had my reservations about the casting but I liked it and it was pretty dang funny.
Peter Serofinowicz and Jackie Earl Hailey more than make up for any other deficencies in casting. Not a big fan of the suit, though.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Tusk sucked poo poo.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I have not seen an ending that hilariously bad in quite some time. The characters thwart a school shooting with the POWER OF DANCE.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Len posted:

The ending wasn't they were dead the whole time though
That would have been an improvement.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

om nom nom posted:

I don't remember if I or anyone else has brought up The Good Place starting Kristen Bell and Ted Danson, but I'm re-watching it and it's a good one for sure. Netflix has the first season, I don't have cable so I'm not sure about the status of future seasons.
Season two is seriously good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Riatsala posted:

I want to second Umbrella Academy. If you're somehow not completely loving done with deconstructive superhero plots this is one of the most enjoyable shows on Netflix at the moment. Basic premise is that a family of estranged superpowered siblings reunite after their adoptive father's suspicious death. It's a very fun and stylish show and the music is really top notch. It mines a lot of humor and character drama from how dysfunctional the family is, and while the writing seems pretty derivative at moments it's still a great time. My favorite characters are definitely the pair of jaded time traveling assassins wrestling with the overbearing bureaucracy of their mysterious employers.

Anyway that's my book report if you want to know how it ends you'll have to read it yourself!!!
I'm like two episodes deep and I can't shake the feeling that Umbrella Academy is basically if Wes Anderson wrote the X-men.