Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

onemanlan posted:

Other notable recommendations:

Blue Ruin
I Saw the Devil
Hell
Always Sunny
The Office
Portlandia
Transparent(on Amazon Prime)

I do not mean this as snark at all, but is there a point where Transparent actually gets good? I had a few people recommend it now and I thought it was incredibly boring; I had the same issue with the first 3ish episodes of OitNB so if there's a point where I can skip ahead I'd like to give it another shot. If it's basically the same throughout as the beginning, I'll know it's just not for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think the name went a long way towards killing that show. I never would have watched it if it wasnt heavily recommended. Its a shame, because it was a hilarious show.

Bingo. When it came out I was like, "oh, cool, misogyny," and never gave it a shot while it was on air.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Opie_Yates posted:

Recommending the Netflix original "Borgia". Good period piece about the 15th century Borgia family in Italy and all the evil and corruption they were in to. A lot of violence, a lot of sex and hot naked people. I thought the costuming and scenery were fantastic. The dialogue does seem a bit forced at times and everyone in Italy having an English accent (except the pope, he has an American accent for some reason) can ruin the immersion a bit I suppose. Otherwise, a good attention holder and worth a watch.

Fake edit: Don't get it confused with the Showtime series "The Borgias". This one says Netflix Original. I can't comment on the Showtime one.

The Showtime one isn't bad but the Netflix one (Nexflix picked up the final season after the original European production company canned it) is way, way better.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Vulgar posted:

Netflix just added The Interview.

I had a sneaking suspicion it would end up there eventually. But a month after it's opening weekend, that's kinda nuts

This movie is dumb as hell but the interview with Eminem at the beginning is pretty dumb comedy gold.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Thanks to this thread I'm starting Spartacus. Interesting to see some of the cast from Arrow walking around all naked-like.
Does this show get not poo poo after the first two episodes and please tell me they stop with the awful CG blood.

Yes, and no. The CGI blood stays but the show hits a good stride like 5-6 episodes in.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Rolo posted:

Hot Fuzz is up. A good movie that keeps giving the more times you watch it.

Yarp.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

1redflag posted:

I was freaked out by Jurassic Park when I was that age, so you are looking at some pretty extensive therapy bills if you do it. Totally worth it though.

What's it like to be a total wuss baby? I sat in the front row by myself (my parents were a few rows back, duh) at age 5 to watch Jurassic Park and fuckin' loved it. :smug:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

syscall girl posted:

The church is putting dental dams in the same category as condoms now?

Pretty sure oral is sodomy so...yeah?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

The Colombian version of Breaking Bad, Metastasis, is up on Netflix. It's pretty okay, though I don't think anyone would have a real shot at standing up to Cranston, and it's interesting to see the things the change and tweak for cultural relativity.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Just noticed they finally put up the 8th season of Peep Show on netflix.

If anyone hasn't seen it, you NEED it in your life. British sitcom, based around possibly the most socially awkward people ever committed to film.

Some all-time classic comedy moments, but you will watch them through your fingers. Think "British Curb Your Enthusiasm" and you're pretty close.

Oh poo poo, thanks for the heads up. Weekend plans: settled.

(edit)

Uh, season 8 has been up for like a year, you got me excited thinking the finale series was up.

Goddamn it Helmsley.

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Jun 27, 2015

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Did that two summers ago, and did Deadwood last fall. With Mad Men finished, I think I ran out of good TV :smith:

Rome, Battlestar Galactica, Justified.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Mostly Martha is on Netflix now. It had an American remake but the German original is vastly superior. It is sad and lovely.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

The Man in the High Castle is really excellent. It has some changes from the novel but I think they work well in the page to screen translation.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

wormil posted:

I started watching The Lizzie Bordon Chronicles and unexpectedly my daughter is into it as well --- hmmm. Christina Ricci is perfectly cast and is eating it up. Cole Hauser plays a mercenary with an addiction and obsession, why does that sound familiar? <rhetorical> So far I've only watched the prequel, Lizzie Borden Took An Axe, and two episodes of The Chronicles, but I like it. I like that she kills 2 people per episode (so far anyway), definitely an overachiever. Cancelled unfortunately but it doesn't seem like a show that you could drag out season after season for the money CR must be demanding.

Tried to watch Making a Murderer but only 10-15 minutes in and I'm struggling to stay interested. People rave about it so I'm sure it gets good.

It's a slow burn, much like watching Breaking Bad you have to wait for some of the pieces to fall into place before it really sucks you in.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

wormil posted:

BB wasn't a slow burn.

The problem with MoaM is the "victim" is a scumbag and I give no shits that law enforcement hates him. The interesting story is if they frame him but I don't know if I can get that far.

Breaking Bad took like two seasons to be engaging instead of just curious. It was good, but kind of dull.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

We get it, you're much smarter than us and have clearly superior taste in television and film.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Fumaofthelake posted:

Any recommendations for good comedy albums through Amazon Prime?

Like, comedy music or spoken word? What are some comedians you like?

Mitch All Together and Strategic Grill Location are on Prime, but most people are already familiar with Mitch Hedberg. If you're not definitely check those out.

(edit)

I'm not sure what's on there but George Carlin is another one to add. Daniel Tosh's standup is pretty funny too, and if you like him Anthony Jeselnik is the same kind of "funny and also horrible" style.

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Feb 21, 2016

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

coyo7e posted:

So what you're saying is that you really hate poor, uneducated people? I really ended up having a pretty big soft spot for the poor guy. He and his family are obviously not going to ever improve their lot, but the guy really never got into any major trouble that most ignorant redneck guys in podunk towns would get into... Minor burglary and drunk and disordlies,

Basically none of this is true and 5 seconds of googling would tell you as much.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

The doucumentarians literally edited the conversation between Massey and his mother to remove the part about him being molested by Steven because they found it "too inflammatory" i.e. didn't fit their victim narrative.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Clinton1011 posted:

It might just be because I just finished watching the arrow and the flash (both on netflix) but the 2nd season of DD is far better then those shows and in my opinion one of the best super heroes shows I have ever seen. I think I could say one of the best shows in general that I have ever watched.

Besides Jessica Jones are there other super hero shows that people feel are better then DD s2? I'm going to need my fix once I'm done binging through this season.

Gotham is worth a watch but I don't know if it's better or even "good" necessarily. It has some really, really great episodes but I just can't pin down how I feel about it as a whole. I didn't like it as much as Flash, but liked it more than Arrow. The tone and approach is completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

The Leftovers is one of the best shows on TV. First season is good, second season is GREAT. Veep is great, Silicon Valley is great. True Detective, the 2nd season gets mixed reactions. I liked it a lot but I think that's in part because it reminds me of 80s neo-noir, in the best way. I enjoy Last Week Tonight but IDK if you really need to go back in time, all of their main stories are on YouTube.

I need to check out Togetherness but I'm a sucker for the Duplass bros. I liked the first episode though.

Carnivale and Rome get a lot of love too.

I would say Rome, Veep, Silicon Valley, the first 2 seasons of True Blood, and the first season of True Detective are all very much worth a watch.