Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Finished Manhunt, it was pretty good, though it ended a bit abruptly. I guess I don't know where else they would have gone with it.

I'd suggest giving it a watch, it's pretty quick at only 8 episodes.

Started watching the unrelated new Mindhunter Netflix series that's about the creation of the term serial killer and what led up to it. I'm only 2 episodes in but it's pretty good so far. It's produced by David Fincher. Starts out with a teacher at the FBI that is training agents on hostage negotiation. He takes an interest in criminal psychology and teams up with another teacher to track down serial killers.

I was kind of disappointed when they start to get into the relationships of the three leads more deeply near the end of the season. I really don't care about the melodrama of poorly developed fictional relationships crumbling in this show about developing procedures for identifying serial killers. I just want more stuff about this trio of weirdos struggling to get their minds around murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Rolo posted:

Gah I just cancelled Netflix last month to let it repopulate!

Something on Prime I just found that I love is their ambience videos. I was sitting here today with a 8 hour video of rainfall from inside a tent while reading a book. Makes for a good Sunday.

There's an app (for iPhone at least) called Rain Rain that you can use to achieve similar results. You can even come up with custom sound combos. You mentioning the ambiance videos for reading reminded me of that, because I'll run Rain Rain when I'm out of the house a lot, just because it's a super relaxing way to focus. Anyhow, that's not streaming anywhere, so g'bye.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Game Over, Man is profoundly stupid, and it knows it's profoundly stupid, but it still manages to be funny at parts. It's basically the Workaholics guys doing Die Hard.

Whole lotta dong in the film, though. And more analingus than I was expecting.

The violence is also... something else. I don't want to describe individual scenes, because it's kinda better to go in blind, but drat. They go for it. Extremely fun and the first time I heard anyone talk that much about salvia since, like, 2004.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

1redflag posted:

This was a good comic book movie.

I'll second that. The lady will not generally brook a superhero movie, but she enjoyed it from start to finish.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Watched I’m Just loving With You on Hulu. Pretty fun horror movie; Hayes MacArthur’s pretty credible channeling of an early career Bill Paxton oddball performance is what made it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I Think You Should Leave on Netflix is extremely funny and goes by too quick; best new sketch comedy series since Kay & Peele.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Oldstench posted:

It's not cultural - it's loving awful.

When you are this wrong do you even have the ability to realize how wrong you are?

I Think You Should Leave is nonstop bug eyed anxiety nonsense humor.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

This guys about to Jack off.

oh gently caress. what the gently caress?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just added up all the monthly subscription fees I get from streaming sites and I'm about $10 shy of coming out even if I just get the bundle with my internet/cell phone plan. I'd cancel them and bundle up, but that would mean a bunch of my friends wouldn't be able to watch shows anymore. :(

Cable is absolutely worse. Whenever I travel for work and stay in hotels I am reminded of this fact. My best options are Office marathons, Parks & Rec marathons or Impractical Jokers marathons, each of which are regularly interrupted by massive slabs of commercials tailored to the kinds of freaks that still watch cable. Say what you want about streaming services but cable has gotten mad spooky.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Mammal Sauce posted:

We've got 2 Roku TVs and two Roku Express devices. They're super easy to set up and use. I've never understood the love for the Chromecast. A Roku Express is within a few dollars of a chromecast and doesn't require yet another device to make it work.

Roku TVs are the best. We have a 720 TCL in the bedroom, it was dirt cheap and it’s great. If and when the overpriced Samsung in the living room dies it’s probably being replaced with the biggest 4K Roku they got.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

brocked posted:

I like my Roku boxes more than the Roku tv I got, because the tv doesn't have the wifi remote or the headphone jack on the remote...

You can use the Roku app to do that. I stream the audio from the tv to my phone and listen to it through headphones when my wife is sleeping.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

i flunked out posted:

If you have amazon prime I watch Psych to fall asleep. Its not mechanical but there's something about it.

It’s pleasantly, competently bland. I mean that as a compliment as well. It’s 7up and saltines tv.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Deadite posted:

It's weird how I consider The Simpsons to be my favorite show and I still have no interest in watching 2/3rds of the episodes

It had a run there that was truly remarkable, like, during most of the 90s but it’s been painful to watch for almost twenty years now. I have no idea why Fox keeps it going at this point. The ratings can’t be that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Check out The Vast of Night on Amazon Prime. It’s a zero budget film about a radio dj working with a switchboard operator to track down the source of a bizarre transmission one night in the 50s, and it works so drat well. The leads play well off of one another and the cast/script in general nails the small town social structure, where the high school basketball game clears the streets, everyone is juuuust shy of basically being in one big extended family and they’ll find any excuse to bring up the one piece of interesting news that has occurred there in forever (a small mammal chewed through a very important wire once, and the controversy regarding what kind of small mammal it actually was).

Really solid watch, charming performances, good direction, good script, punches well above it’s budget overall. Nothing bad to say about it, really.