Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I think the last version of this thread was where someone mentioned Snuff Box which I loved very much. The theme song is permanently stuck in my head. It's a British sketch show about a hang man and his assistant. I always love sketch shows like this, where everything interconnects and maintain a theme throughout. Mr. Show will probably always remain my favorite sketch comedy show but that's not streaming.

However, Comedy Bang Bang has two seasons on Netflix with the third coming in at the end of December. There are some really funny actors, comedians and musicians involved in this show and it is an amazing send up of talk shows as well as some offbeat humor. I love it but ymmv comedy is subjective etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

empty sea posted:

Can't remember where I got the recommendation to watch Detention from but this movie is crazy. It's like huffing the 90's repeatedly. Plus John Hutchinson taught me that skateboarding is romantic or something, I don't know, I was too dazzled.

There were points in the movie where I kept thinking "This is too much, it's getting stupid" but I watched it all the way through and I really liked it, whether it was stupid or not I don't care.

Also Comedy Bang! Bang! Season 3 is finally out on Netflix but only the first half. It's pretty funny and probably the weirdest season so far.

And X Files is still on Netflix, in case you forgot.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

azflyboy posted:

I just discovered that Amazon Prime has the entire run of Anamaniacs available.

United States, Panama, Mexico, Canada, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru...

And the old batman the animated series. Now if only freakazoid and earth worm jim were streaming, I'd have a golden age of after school cartoons marathon.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Totally TWISTED posted:

I may be biased to anything containing Samuel L. Jackson.

I think after the first 3-4 episodes the extended storyline starts to develop, albeit under the guise of hooker of the week episodes so I can certainly see where you're coming from. The end of S1 has a "future" sort of episode and then you have S2 + it's final episode on Netflix (no idea about the DVD only thing since I've only seen it on netflix). I do wish they'd had a way to do a S3 though, you're totally right that S2 is better than S1 and I think that trend could have continued and wrapped up better with a third installment.

I remember it was a big deal because they thought they wouldn't get renewed so they released a finale on the first season DVD. Now on Netflix the last episode of the first season is that finale. There was a lot of build-up in the first season and I think it mostly paid off in the second. Everybodys a doll

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Horns is up on Netflix. I wasn't even sure what to expect but it was pretty good.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

fleshy echidna posted:

So since it hasn't been said for at least two pages I'm just going to say that Black Mirror is one of the most fun/interesting things I've ever seen on Neftflix.

Someone compared this to Twilight Zone and I agree except that the twist is usually closer to the middle of the episode so it isn't so much "Whoa, isn't that crazy? The end" it's more like "Whoa that's crazy and look, this is just how this reality works. Life moves on and it's just business as usual for everyone here." I think it lessens the initial shock of whatever twist happens in an episode but it leaves a longer lasting impression. Also, the moral isn't spelled out directly so each viewer can take a different idea from the same episode and that leads to interesting discussions.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Sadly yes. They were great.

Snuff Box?

Edit: I guess they took that off Netflix. That's a shame.

Anyone checked out VHS: Viral?

jodai has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Apr 6, 2015

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Watrick posted:

I really dug the second piece, the one with the invention. It was a lot of fun and holds up well to the Malaysian piece. The other two are bad, especially the first. Calling it a found footage is a blatant lie.

I really wanted to like it. I watched it even though Vriess warned me about it. I think they all could have been good, especially the skateboard one. I just wish they would have dropped the found footage premise because I like anthologies but I think it's holding back a lot of these films. I did like the creepiness of the invention one but I thought the resolution was not very good.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Oldstench posted:

The Babadook was fantastic.

I had a choice of the Babadook or Man with the Iron Fists 2 today and I chose poorly.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm not entirely sure why Netflix calls it a "semi-spoof"

Like, what's a full spoof?

I think it's because it doesn't make direct references to other movies like the Scary Movie franchise. It's making fun of a genre but it's not obvious about it. I need to watch it but I'm going to guess if you didn't know it was a spoof, it could be taken as a really weird romantic comedy.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I haven't checked but is this a show that follows Prime's popular model of "the first season is free, but you'll have to buy everything after that"? I was really interested in Justified until I found that I'd have to spend a ton of money--even just renting the seasons--to binge on the series.

I just finished all of the seasons except the last one on prime. Sometimes you have to keep checking back but usually when they do that "first one is free", it's just a little while until they release the rest of it.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I had no idea it was spoof. I just figured it was Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd in a normal romcom with a slightly unfortunate name. Never noticed that it was done by the Wet Hot American Summer guys. If I'd known that I wouldn't have just written it off. Watched it last night and it's almost exhausting how ridiculous it is. It's funny, but at a certain point it just feels like they're trying way too hard to find the joke in any given situation.

The best part of the movie is their couple friends who are just as confused about their story as we all are. The look on their faces when he tells about having to resist the desire to sleep with his grandma was pretty great.

I did finally watch it too. The funniest moments were definitely the interplay of the couples as the story progresses. I've noticed in any David Wain movie/show, the whole movie is mediocre but there are always little moments that will stick in my head for a long time afterwards. The part in Wet Hot American Summer where Paul Rudd dumps everything off the table still cracks me up but I can't remember much else about that movie.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Someone recommended A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night and they were right. It was bizarre and amazing. It reminded me a lot of Let the Right One In but there's a sense of isolation that I haven't felt from a movie in a long time and I really like it.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

syscall girl posted:

You sycophants can't leave someone alone for saying they don't know why they like thing you like?

Personally, I haven't seen all of it and can't tell if I liked what I saw or what the appeal was.

I happen to prefer My Name is Bruce as a portrayal of a typical Chinaman gone amok.

And Bruce Campbell outshone Kurt Russel in Escape From LA which itself was superior to Escape From NY.

IMHO

I thought you meant "They Call Me Bruce" and I was really confused for a moment.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

Does anyone know why just about every Comedy Central show is no longer free on Prime? Is this a thing that happens regularly, or are they gone for good? I think I was falling in love with Amy Schumer , but I'm cheap and don't know if I want to pay per episode :smith:

It could have to do with Comedy Central having it's own app. I tried to use it before and I seem to remember it sucking but it might be better now.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

The second half of the 3rd season of Comedy Bang Bang is finally up! I know a few of us were waiting for this.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Haerc posted:

Might be too late to recommend something, but Carnivale on HBO is pretty amazing IMO. It's a shame it ended on a cliffhanger.

I think if it had been released a few years later (it started in 2003) in a different HBO era, it might have kept going.

I was thinking of this but I wasn't sure if it was good. I saw the first season but never saw the second so I couldn't really recommend it. Around the same time, I also watched the series Dead Like Me which I really enjoyed but I don't think it's streaming.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

10 Beers posted:

Justified!

Ha, I was about to say that. I am just finishing up the last season, it's a really entertaining show.

Crow Jane posted:

Did that two summers ago, and did Deadwood last fall. With Mad Men finished, I think I ran out of good TV :smith:

You might try Sons of Anarchy. It sounds like you're just watching stuff that's wrapped up, otherwise Banshee or Ray Donovan would be worth checking out.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Dan Steven's performance is reminiscent of Chris Evans's Captain America, though.

I got a more unsettling Matthew Mcconaughey vibe from him.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I kept seeing that stupid picture of the Rock wearing a.lion on his head for Hercules so I finally watched it and it was pretty dumb but the Rock and that guy from Deadwood are likable enough that I don't feel too bad about it.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I was on the fence about Bojack, too, but gave it a chance because of goons. I don't regret it. Towards the end of the first season, I was hooked and watched the rest in an evening.

I watched Patch Town and I was really confused by it. I thought it was a horror movie but it was a musical fantasy drama/comedy. I did not like some of the songs and I felt like some of the performances were uneven but it was really interesting to watch. Basically, it's about a town that grows cabbage patch dolls, sells them, and then recovers them, unfreeze them from their stasis and uses them as forced labor. It feels a little like a student film but a decent student film.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Monster Squad is on Netflix. It's an 80s movie where a bunch of kids fight Dracula and some other monsters. I had not seen it before and it's pretty fun.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Volume posted:

People who call Bojack great aren't calling it great because it's a funny show. I love the show but I really can't remember the last time I actually laughed at the show. It's great because it's just such a realistic and horrible downward spiral of a trainwreck

I like that Bojack, a literal horse-man, has the more realistic story line while Todd, the scrubby 20 something human has a bunch of wacky hijinks. Also, every time Mr. Peanutbutter had a party, the banner would crack me up.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The best episode of Voyager was the one where 7 of 9 fought The Rock, and Jeffrey Combs was there.
Haha, I thought I imagined that one.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

casual poster posted:

I don't really know what I like about the Rambo movies because I really don't like mega action movies, but the first 3 were pretty drat good. I put it on as something to fall asleep to (I'm one of those people) and it kept me entertained.

Anyone have any recommendations for weird comedy? Something like comedy bang bang. Is that surrealist comedy?

You might try Birthday Boys or, as mentioned, Portlandia.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

wormil posted:

Poirot series 12 is up on Netflix.

Night of the Living Dead goes off tomorrow, get your Romero fix now.

Is it the remake? The original is probably going to be everywhere in October.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

W/ Bob and David is on Netflix. I've only watched a few episodes but there are some very funny sketches and they all weave together just like Mr. Show.

Also, for those of you who just have Netflix on in the background, John Mulaney's special is worth your full attention. His mannerisms are a huge part of his act, especially during the real estate agent bit.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Age of Ultron just went up, surprisingly.

Hmm, not showing up for me. The other half of the season for Comedy Bang Bang is out and it includes Reggie Watts' final episode.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Daredevil and Jessica Jones both had pacing and scripting problems, but at least Daredevil had rad fight choreography throughout to hold your interest and a villain that didn't peak a third of the way through the season.

I agree both series felt like they padded things out to wrap up at 13 episodes when they could have finished in ten, probably. Daredevil also had a lot of great fights. Jessica Jones didn't have great fights because that's not really what it was about. Her series felt different; a whole episode could go by without a fight but satisfying progress is still made towards a goal. I think Daredevil could have been a villain of the week type of thing.

I really liked both of them but I think I liked them in large part because of the potential for future seasons to be so much better as they build off of what happened.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Why was Turbo Kid so good?

E:f,b. Don't read anything about it, just go watch it.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Why the gently caress does Triump The Insult Comic Dog have a special on Hulu

why is it about politically correct sjw millenials

Watch Hannibal Burress' special on Netflix. It will make you feel better, maybe.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

Breaking Bad took like two seasons to be engaging instead of just curious. It was good, but kind of dull.

I watched the first season and enjoyed it because it was set in my home town. Then a few years later, a bunch of people were talking about it on Twitter. I had honestly thought it was cancelled after the first season.

Love is on Netflix. I really like Gillian Jacobs and Paul Rust from other stuff so I want to like the series but I haven't gotten to sit down and watch it yet.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Both of Pete Holmes' specials are pretty great. Video Game Doctor is one of my favorite bits of his.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

wormil posted:

Awesome like last season or they fixed the pacing issues awesome?

They fixed the pacing issues from what I've seen. New characters are not just jammed in but slowly introduced and not immediately giving Daredevil their complete backstory.

There's also a scene that is as good or better than the hallway fight from first season.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Hey the live action Jungle Book is on Netflix and it is pretty good. I really did not expect to like it very much but it's pretty good.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

I just finished Haters Back Off and the final episode made it even better than it was before in my eyes. It's like a punch to the gut that you know is coming but it still manages to catch you off guard.

I did not give this show a chance and wouldn't have if not for your recommendation. It was so much better than I ever would have guessed. So thanks!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Fist is up. I'm 4 episodes in and it's pretty irritating. I don't care about corporate power struggles or some dork's daddy issues. The fights feel like a step backwards in terms of action series. I'm going to watch the whole thing because I'm a huge nerd and it's a comic book show but it's a real slog so far.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

That's a good point and I really wish they had made this a cheesy, fun action kung fu show. I'm dreading the middle point where it's usually filler and the show starts to slow down.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

13 Reasons Why is on Netflix and it is super depressing. It's put together very well, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Grem posted:

I really want to hear more about the show cause it seems interesting but also seems like it could be really, really bad.

One of the frustrating things about it is the whole thing is based on listening to cassette tapes to understand all the reasons this girl killed herself. The guy with the tapes keeps stopping and wandering around and asking people questions. A lot of his questions could have been answered if he listened to the tapes. Several characters tell him they listened to all the tapes in one night.

Other than that, it just gets harder to watch as more stuff happens to this girl and, like Agent355 said, the other kids are just going along being regular annoying kids.