Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I would have been one of those people but they are both absolutely perfect in their roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Moana just popped up on Netflix. I haven't seen it but everyone I know has and they said it was good.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Moana is wonderful and it's something I don't mind watching multiple times because the kid loves it.

kazil posted:

Just binge watched Netflix's new series GLOW. It's pretty drat entertaining.
I'm on the third episode because my binge was interrupted but it is definitely better than I could have guessed.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

Anyone else watch Castlevania? I'm on episode 2 and it's... not great so far. All I wanted was two hours of awesome gothic fights between a vampire hunter and things that live in the dark and so far I've got an hour of not that.

It never got better.

This breaks my heart. I watched most of the first episode and really thought it had a lot of the atmosphere of Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust so I assumed it was building towards something awesome.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

It's because of this thread that I gave Haters Back Off a chance and it was so much better than I thought it would be. Also, I probably would have turned off Okja if it weren't for Gotta Stay Fai's recommendation/review.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I think it got mentioned earlier on this thread but Train to Busan was the best zombie movie I've seen on a long time. It's nice to have some time to watch horror movies again.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah. It's not groundbreaking. The cast has a lot of chemistry and a lot of fun. Captain Holt is used so well

That's exactly what it is, the cast is so perfect. It's very silly and fun.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Rolo posted:

Sing was a pretty charming little movie. Didn't quite have the draw of a Pixar or Disney movie, but it was better than I thought it'd be.

Their cover of Elton John's "I'm Still Standing" was really good.

It was a lot more charming than I thought it would be.

I just watched all of Atypical. There were some really good performances but also some noticeably pretty shots and really good audio cues. It's just really good, imo, is what I'm saying.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I had completely ignored Norsemen until someone mentioned it's a comedy. It's basically the Office but with Vikings. It is brutal, almost cartoonish level of violence and dry, deadpan humor. I really recommend trying it out.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

wormil posted:

Maybe at the end of S2 she will wake up and it will all have been a dream.

or an Ebeneezer Scrooge thing.

The Tick was pretty good but I guess they didn't release all the episodes, so that's a littlw annoying. The tone and the characters of each one (cartoon, 2001 live action, current) has been so different that if you liked one of them, it's not guaranteed you will like any of the others.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

You’re ignoring the fact that there are also like 5 comic versions of The Tick. Consistency between iterations is antithetical to the series (singular and plural). I like to think that it’s a meta-commentary on the comics industry as a whole, but that’s just my read on it. The Edlund comics are great, at least.

I forgot to mention I've never read a Tick comic. I bet they're very good, I've just never got around to it. I like that theory, though.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I just assumed by now that people who already liked them will watch the Defenders and anyone else will just not. I did not like Iron Fist as mich as I thought I would but Defenders won me back.1 I do think that it's funny that everyone in the show thinks Iron Fist sucks but I'm really happy with the dynamic between him and Luke Cage. The first ~2 episodes moved at a strange pace because it was all the characters slowly coming together but after that I was pretty happy with it.

The Hand is still boring, though.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Second season of One Mississippi is out and I liked it a lot, especially Bill's storyline. Some of it did feel off in some way but I can't pinpoint why. Maybe with only 6 episodes, it was condensed a bit.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I watched Dear White People. It took me three tries to get into it but after the first episode I watched the whole thing in one night. I am excited for a second season.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I was worried that the second season would end up just spinning it's wheels but it looks to be going to an interesting place. I like the show, especially when all the characters are interacting at the same time.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Why do my wife and I keep watching American Horror Story? It's been 95% garbage since season 1 and Roanoke continues that trend.

Yet every year we sit down and watch it.

I feel like there's always at least one moment that makes it worth watching each season but besides that it's a fun hatewatch.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

I just watched GET OUT on Prime. Fun horror movie that's not heavy on gore, if that's a turn off for you.

Oh, hey, it just came out on HBO last week, too. I remember hearing the hype and thinking it could not stand up to it but I was very wrong.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

wormil posted:

I think we are mid-season 2.

I honestly didn't know how season 2 would play out but it is very good and there's so many little jokes that are easy to miss the first time around.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Bright is the perfect Netflix movie in that if you're doing something else while it's on, it seems like a decent movie. If I had gone to a theater and watched it, I probably would be irritated. As it is, it's a mess of a movie. One of the main plot points is everyone hates orcs but it's later revealed that an orc united the 9 races and led them against "the Dark One". It's been said before but it might have worked better as a mini series, it seems like there were a lot of ideas that required viewers to fill in the blanks.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Futureman on Hulu is better than it has any right to be.

Pretty sure I knocked out 8 episodes yesterday.

Thanks for this recommendation, it was so good but I almost didn't stick with it after the first episode. In the end, I liked every character and it has a strange sincerity to it that I really love.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I watched it because I saw Ron Ben-israel in the preview but I haven't seen his episode yet. I want to like Nicole Byer but I feel like the show forces her to be very obnoxious.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

The limited series Maniac with Jonah Hill and Emma Stone is really good. There's so much going on but it never overexplains itself.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Hot Date is on Netflix! It's a sketch show with Brian Murphy and Emily Axford from College Humor. They play multiple characters as the episode goes from couple to couple. From what I've seen it's pretty funny but I only saw the free episode on YouTube. It was on a channel called PopTV which I never had access to so I'm excited to see the whole 10 episodes.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

Has anyone watched Lore? I used to follow the podcast and it was pretty much guysreadswikipedia.mp3 so the fact he got a tv is show

I watched one episode but it seemed like "Guy reads wikipedia while paper dolls illustrate what he's saying".

Also I watched a specific Voltron episode(the DnD one) and it was really good.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I just checked. No song, she just gets up and leaves. That's very disappointing.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

It feels weird to see it without the song because I had only ever seen it on VHS. I find it strange that on DVD or cable, they didn't have that version and I think that when they took it out, they should have edited around it because the scene feels really abrupt. Rizzo and Gonzo are in tears over what amounts to a lady dropping a quick burn on her ex.

You should still check it out for the Mandalorian, especially if you like muppets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

If you liked I Think You Should Leave or Comedy Bang Bang, Aunty Donna on Netflix is very good. I did not know about them but they have a ton of stuff on YouTube but the Netflix show is only six episodes around 25 minutes. I watched it 3 times and some of the sketches multiple times on YouTube.