Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just finished Alphas. It was a really good show if you like the whole superhero thing, but it ends on a crazy cliffhanger that never got resoled and probably never will be. Still, drat good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hannibal Smith posted:

I'll second this, along with the show it used to be paired with Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23. As long as you can get past the name, it's one of the funniest and most original sitcoms that's aired in years. It's basically about a girl moving into an apartment with a sociopath who's best friends with James Vanderbeek playing a bizarre version of himself.

It got screwed by its network during its original run, with all of its episodes being run completely out of order. It's all on Netflix now, though, including a good number of unaired episodes.

I think the name went a long way towards killing that show. I never would have watched it if it wasnt heavily recommended. Its a shame, because it was a hilarious show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When did Much Ado About Nothing go up? It's really good so far.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Lavender posted:

It is a great show. I almost didn't give it a shot past the first episode, but it gets better with each one. It kind of relies on its own web, so you need to let it build up for a couple eps.

Yeah, even the stuff that seems pointless at first ends up being another link in the chain of hilarious fuckups. It's kind of like BoJack Horseman in that the slow beginning ends up leading to an amazing payoff, but it goes the dark comedy route instead of mostly just dark.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Slap Shot goes off of Netflix on the 1st, so go watch it now while it's still there. Paul Newman is amazing in it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So I breezed through the first season of Sirens today and I have to say I really liked it. I won't say it's the best comedy on TV but as someone interested in medicine and also sitcoms it was definitely enjoyable.

I'm an EMT, and the medicine part is weird for me- it gets some stuff right and some stuff wrong. Like how they don't do CPR at all on the pulseless anaphylactic patient in the first episode, even while they wait for the Epipen to kick in. If there's no pulse the epi isn't going to go through his system at all, and even when you're putting the pads on any cardiac arrest patient, one person is going to be doing compressions and breaths. But then they'll get little details right, like how they always check level of responsiveness right off the bat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Yeah it's a comedy so I'm not watching it for accuracy, but I definitely recommend it for the comedy.

Yeah, you just mentioned the "as someone interested in medicine" bit so I figured I'd chime in on that. It seems like a decent enough comedy, and I liked Rescue Me until it crawled up its own rear end, so I wanted to like it. Turns out dramatic license is easy to accept until you're watching your job.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

I think I like Dinosaurs more as an adult than I did as a kid.

I never realized how many jokes in that show flew right over my head as a kid until Netflix picked it up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ryoshi posted:

This is completely true. I think a lot of Netflix shows are similar - they kind of front load a lot of exposition so the first episode or two seems really weak, but then things start coming together fast. Bojack Horseman was the same way (and in that case it went so far as to kind of disguise the show's genre as a lovely sitcom instead of the bizarre dramedy it is by the end).

Episode 2 of Bojack was goddamn brilliant, though. Where else will you hear Keith Olbermann say "That's what happens when you steal a meal from Neal McBeal the Navy Seal"?

That's what I thought. :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Mentalizer posted:

That's weird, everything I've wanted to watch on Prime has always been available the next day. I mean I figured it probably varies by area but, I just assumed in the States it was next day everywhere.

There was a delay with the first episode of last season because of a music rights issue, but it got hashed out pretty quick and they threw in a decent promotional credit for the hassle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Twitch posted:

Finally watched this after years of meaning to watch it, and thought it was loving amazing. Now I have to watch Shaun of the Dead and The World's End.

Have you watched it a second time yet? Seriously, watch it a second time. The way it's structured with the subtle callbacks makes it better the second time you see it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Woah, woah, woah, when did they add Bill Nye The Science Guy? Jesus H Christ that's a kick right in the nostalgia.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

If you have any love for cop/tac team/firefighters/whatever solving intense situations type of shows, check out Flashpoint. I finally finished season 5 (the final season) this week and it was fantastic. It's about a Special Response Unit group with a great dynamic.

Yeah, that show is fantastic. I just ended up rewatching the whole thing and it's pretty drat great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Most people consider the first season mediocre and the characters generic and forgettable until about two-thirds of the way through Season 1, when the status quo changed in a major way in the episode "Turn, Turn, Turn" (which spun directly out of the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier).

If you really wanted to love it, try watching that episode with an open mind, hopefully after having seen the movie. I think even the biggest critics of the show will agree it got a lot better from there, and stayed decent-to-great throughout Season 2.

Yeah, I gave up on it a few episodes in when it was first airing, but when S1 got up on Netflix I ended up pretty hooked. There's some stuff worth watching before the Winter Soldier stuff, but I can't remember which episodes. Pretty much any of the ones with Bill Paxton in them are watchable at a minimum, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ExCruceLeo posted:

Gotham is on netflix now. I just started it and am really enjoying it.

I give no shits about Batman but I'm watching it solely because it has Ben McKenzie and Donal Logue in it. It's no bringing back Southland/Terriers, but it'll have to do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Person Of Interest is batshit good and I wish I hadn't written it off when it first aired. An AI sending Murderhobo Jesus to protect people is basically the best.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Maybe it's because the first season of the show is super understated and nothing really hits stride until the second season (then whoa!)

Season 4 is by far the best season. Being made to be on Netflix instead of cable means each episode can be longer, and they aren't beholden to a case-of-the-week format. I think there's all of three investigations for the whole season. It's a show that likes to take its time and Netflix let them do that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ExCruceLeo posted:

Doesn't Bradley cooper show up in the show at some point too? So it's actually tied to the movie in more than just super drug plot?

Yeah, it's a sequel to the movie, not a reboot or something like that.

It's also excellent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Longmire is legit good, and you can recommend it to your grandma.

It was an excellent show for the first three seasons. Then it got picked up by Netflix.

Having more time to stretch out the episodes, and not being beholden to a new case every week made it even better. Pumped for S5 in a few weeks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Season 2 of Man in the High Castle just posted on Amazon Prime.

How many seasons will it take to get through all the books, or is this series indefinite as long as it's doing well?

It was one book that was about 180 pages, and they covered nearly all the plot in the first season. I'm pretty excited to see where they go from here.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

Better Off Ted rules.

It is beyond fantastic, I third the recommendation.

It captures that feeling of "Why are we doing this, this is loving stupid" feeling of working at a large company well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of shows that people didn't give a chance because the name was dumb, Don't Trust The B in Apartment 23 is fantastic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

I feel like...the complete opposite of this. It's jarring because it's Oliphant's character waayyyyy out of his element, and he's trying to roll with it as best he can, but sometimes he just comes up short and shouts "FUUUUUCK" as he realizes the mess his life has become. It's the only time I've ever thought that excessive swearing in a show has been funny, the delivery is just perfect. Plus, Abby's line at the beginning ("I think I'm going to be swearing in front of you guys a lot more," "Yeah, that's fair") sets it up as a sort of running gag.

The only bad part (other than one thing I'm going to take to the IIMM thread) is how abruptly it ended.

Yeah, I loved when they'd react to something with a "gently caress!" and then try to play it off as extreme enthusiasm for something ridiculous

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

Archer season +1 is up. Honestly I think it's time to end the show. The whole season was, like the last one, completely forgettable.

Sucks cause I loved the first few seasons.

I loved it through S4, but the quality took a huge dive in the fifth season and while the sixth was better, it was still pretty blah. I'm going to watch the seventh as background noise but I don't have high hopes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I never really watched MST3K when it was on, but I gave the new stuff a shot. Only seen Reptilicus so far but I loved it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

2) They didn't gently caress up casting The Ancient One in Dr. Strange.

Tell me you didn't just say they should have gone with anyone besides Tilsa Swinton. She's just so perfectly weird.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

She is perfectly weird but she's also an already rich and famous white person taking over the role designed for an Asian person.

The dude from Deadpool just dropped out of Hellboy because in the comics his character is Asian. He didn't know at the time. Once he found out, he quit and has garnered a ton of respect.

Her not being Asian worked in the character arc of Dr Strange, though, in that she was another white person butting into the monastery and abusing the powers within, and not abusing that power was a big part of Stranges character development. It's not like the movie opted to not cast minorities, look at Mordo and Wong.

E: Mordo even started as a white guy in the comics, actually, and they also took him from straight villain to someone with their own motivations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tangy yet delightful posted:

Thanks for this. I haven't watched in years and someone just yesterday was trying to tell me it was good now.

S1 was good, but I have never seen a show poo poo it's pants quite that hard since. Jesus, S2 was terrible.

The last season of Longmire goes up on the 23rd. Anyone else looking forwards to that one? That show was excellent for the first three seasons, but the move to Netflix went and leaned into its strengths really well. Not mandating a case of the week gave it a lot of room to breathe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeeeah, MK ULTRA sounds like a lunatic conspiracy theory but it absolutely happened. It's crazy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The experiments that were done on various people like Ted Kazcinski, which is what the prior posts were referring to. If I try to describe them, I'll just look insane, but you can find them on Wikipedia and the like.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

On Hulu, Reaper is available.

A guy has his soul sold to the devil by his parents so he must become a bounty hunter for the devil.
It's funnier than it has any right to be but be warned:
Season two ends on a massive cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

Yesssss. It was on Netflix streaming in 2011 and I never got to finish watching it before they started losing a lot of stuff. It's excellent and Ray Wise is the best.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OutsideAngel posted:

See I keep hearing this, so I gave Person of Interest ten episodes and it still wan't anything more than a passably-mediocre vigilante crime drama with a decent supporting cast and an abysmal lead actor.

Ten episodes is right about where it's getting ready to start the overarching plot lines. It really gets rolling in Season 3 but it moves pretty well before then. I really enjoyed that show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

Oh, Netflix now has Ash vs. Evil Dead.

Get it!

It's so good. I'm only on ep 5 of season one but it's everything I wanted out of new evil dead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's absolutely a cheesy action movie...in parts. I grew up watching Jean Claude Van Damme and he does a great job in this show and is hilarious. For everyone else, the premise is that it's actually him, post retirement. Turns out the whole time he was making all those movies, he was also an international spy, and the cheesy movies were his cover for whatever location he had a mission in. Who knew!

After two years of being retired he gets wants back in the spy game and as a result has to also start filming movies again. It's somehow cheesy without being over the top and is also very funny. You can tell he doesn't take himself very seriously. There's a lot of references to his old movies, especially Time Cop. If you were ever a fan of JCVD, I would absolutely recommend Jean Claude Van Johnson.

JCVD is an interesting guy in the way he's willing to make his career and reputation part of his art these days, and he has no illusions about what he makes. I wish JCVD (the movie) was streaming somewhere.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

1redflag posted:

Lol, it is streaming on Amazon Prime. That's what I was referring to in my original post, NOT Jean Claude Van Johnson. That show is pretty good, and I like how it plays with tropes, but THE MOVIE - JCVD is much better imo.

I'll have to look again! The search on the PS4 amazon app is pretty lovely sometimes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Psych is now on Prime. This is not a drill, psych is now on Prime.

So happy about that, it was one of my shows to fall asleep to for ages until Netflix lost it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bogmonster posted:

I really enjoyed A Futile and Stupid Gesture on Netflix. It's a movie about the rise of National Lampoon with actors playing Chevy Chase, Christopher Guest and Bill Murray, and others. As a Brit, I never really knew much about National Lampoon but I thought the movie was great with a good few laughs.

I’m about 2/3s of the way through and I’m loving it so far. I was not expecting it to be my thing since I don’t usually go for the biopic stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rough Lobster posted:

How does it stack up against Todd Margaret, if you've seen it? That show was just a bit too much cringe for me.

How much of Todd Margaret did you make it through? I had a hard time making it through S1 at first, but powering through was worth it, that show sets up so much stuff and has it all come together brilliantly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

1redflag posted:

Altered Carbon is okay. I read the book a few years ago and it's been tracking the story almost 1:1 (except they changed the hotel from THE HENDRIX to THE RAVEN for what I'm assuming is licensing issues with the Hendrix estate).

Yeah, the estate doesn’t want Hendrix associated with violence.

There’s some pretty big shifts with the characters, especially at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
House is up on Prime if you’re looking for a procedural that’s great to fall asleep to.