Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I watched a bunch of movies over the weekend and I would recommend two of them: Night of the Demons 2 and Blue Ruin. They aren't similar to each other in any way but if you like terrible early 90s horror or tense revenge dramas I would check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Don't forget

John From Cincinnati
How to Make It in America
Tell Me You Love Me

And of course, Arli$$

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Has anyone else watch Beyond the Black Rainbow? If so, would you please explain to me what I just watched?

I feel like Netflix accidentally added a movie you would only find playing in a display at a modern art museum, and gave it cover art that would trick the viewer in to thinking it was a 70s throwback scifi thriller

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Speaking of horror anthologies it really burns my biscuits that Tales from the Crypt isn't on HBO Go. C'mon HBO, no one wants to watch Arliss.

Also please add Mr. Show too

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Adventure Time was removed. Now what am I going to watch when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Hot Fuzz is great, and it was double great when I re-watched it recently and finally made this connection:

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I loved Jurassic Park when I was a kid, but Tremors scared the poo poo out of me

gently caress you graboids

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I just looked up this Other Space and both Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu are in the cast list, so I will give it a watch tonight

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I accidentally watched Young Ones because I confused it for The Rover, but it was actually good, despite the weird soundtrack and the very shaky American accents.

Watch it if you want to see Nicolas Hoult be villainous in a post apocalyptic wasteland where people kill for water. Also Michael Shannon is in it.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

radiatinglines posted:

Can someone from northern Ireland reassure me that Sam Neil's accent in peaky blinders is legit? As soon as he started talking all I could think about was how bad it sounded, like a lovely American accent with some leprechaun mixed in. I stopped watching before his first big speech was even over.

his accent is a little more intelligible since they were shooting for an American audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNSoWVx8Ii8

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
The Guest was just added. If you liked You're Next you should watch this

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
That guy previously played Cousin Matthew on Downton Abbey

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Dan Steven's performance is reminiscent of Chris Evans's Captain America, though.

He had to beat off a lot of American men for the part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZe777oON8w

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Don't forget Sean Young's hillbilly accent. That was frustrating too

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I just watched The Imposter, which was like a documentary crossed with a thriller. It is a documentary, but the story is crazy. It's about a boy who goes missing in Texas and then three years later his family gets a call from Spain saying their son has been found.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Deadwood and Mr Show

Oh also Mr Show is coming to HBO streaming starting tomorrow http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/whats-new-on-hbo-may-2016.html

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
They really let Paul F. Tompkins go nuts this season. I think he voiced half of the characters in every episode and the show is even better for it.

His sleazy 2007 agent in episode 2 was fantastic. His fetish for women who don't notice him was bizarre in a wonderful way.

"We never even made eye contact"

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
How do you run out of podcasts?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

syscall girl posted:

Did anybody else see the Yahoo! original sci-fi comedy Other Space? I thought it was pretty decent but since Yahoo stopped making tv shows pretty quick it never got a second season.

Yes, I thought it was great. It had a great cast and the comedy was solid. I really wish that Netflix would pick it up.

Just having Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu in the cast is enough to get me to watch something though

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I'm kind of split on the new MST3K. I think some of the jokes are great, but there are just so many jokes all the time that after a while it's just hard to pay attention. I'm halfway through Cry Wilderness and people have said that the riffing slows down, so I think I will stick with it.

So far though it seems like they thought every moment in the movies needs a riff, and the good jokes are getting lost in a sea of okay ones.

I have liked the skits so far though

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Yeah, MST3K has Elliott Kalan's fingerprints all over it. His mile-a-minute joke personality works on the Flop House when he has two other hosts to balance him out, but when he's writing all three characters to be as manic as he is it gets king of tiresome.

I kind of wish that Joel would come back and replace Jonah, because I don't think Joel can speak fast enough to rattle off all of those riffs

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I see that there is a sequel to the dog movie Max that is coming to Amazon Prime next month, and it might be the biggest tone-shift in a sequel I have ever seen

Max:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPPMCwD5bw

Max 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZnMQXdOhmQ

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
The first season of True Detective is still great

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
It looks like HBO makes Mr. Show available to stream, but not Tales from the Crypt?????

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What’s good for falling asleep to? Hulu doesn’t have any good mythbusters episodes. Or how it’s made, or anything like that.

MST3K on Netflix/YouTube. I love MST3K but if I'm even a little bit drowsy it puts me right to sleep. Something about the pleasant midwesterness to the jokes

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Is there a way to watch the UK version of Vikings on Amazon Prime? I can see the episodes available on amazon.co.uk but it says they aren't available in my area. Do Americans only get the edited episodes?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
The Mighty Boosh and League of Gentlemen are available on Amazon Prime. If you are a fan of bizarre British comedy then you will like it.

No Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace though, unfortunately

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Apostle on Netflix is a great horror movie. It is super gory and brutal. It is by the same director as The Raid series, and it really shows.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Derry Girls on Netflix is great. It’s about high schoolers in North Ireland in the 90s. I’d put it in the same comedy vein as Broad City. It’s worth it just to see the guy who played Barristan Selmy on Game of Thrones be an old Irish hardass.

Sick Note is a good show too. It’s like The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret with Rupert Grint and Nick Frost.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Does anyone know if the 1981 Sam Neill-starring horror movie Possession is available to watch anywhere? I can't find it streaming anywhere, and it's also not available through Netflix's DVD rentals.

I thought the internet was supposed to make obscure movies easier to find

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Finished watching Chernobyl on HBO. I recognized the prosecutor in the last episode, but I couldn't place him. I thought, "Gee, Coach is looking Poltergeist young there!" Turns out it's the Roose Bolton actor from GoT.

I'd love to find out the song played during the end of the last episode. I'd search it but I'm about to drift off to sleep.

I noticed a few GoT actors through the series. The old senior party member who bangs his cane and tells everyone in a meeting to prevent the news from getting out was the maester of winterfell, and the soldier who shoots the cow was Pyp from the nights watch

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
American Factory is a good documentary on Netflix. It’s about a Chinese glass company reopening a closed car factory in Ohio.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I always watch MST3K to fall asleep. The movies are always slow, the jokes and skits are never loud, and all of the episodes are free on YouTube.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
It's weird how I consider The Simpsons to be my favorite show and I still have no interest in watching 2/3rds of the episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Edit: wrong thread