Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Sorry about the extremely lovely camera photo. I made a sous vide burger I hosed up somewhere and also made chips for the first time they were a lot more golden than they appear in the photo and also baked any kind of bread for the first time for the bun

Jose fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

guppy posted:

Lazy Sunday breakfast, fresh beignets with homemade strawberry jam:

:captainpop:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

PiratePing posted:

I usually just go vegetarian because I don't feel like blowing the equivalent of a week's worth of lunch+dinner vegetables on two chicken breasts.

I don't know how it is in the US, but its often the same price to buy a whole chicken in the UK as to get 2 breasts if you're after free range so you could just butcher it yourself

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Klenath posted:

The wife and I experimented with a new no-knead thin crust pizza dough recipe over the weekend. Worked out better than we expected. We'll probably wait to try again in the winter because running the oven at 550F in summer ain't a great idea.

Mine looked nothing like that what recipe did you use?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Woof! Woof! posted:

Oh I took this to you saying the old "what's the midwest" "flyover" argument.

Had dried beef plenty as a kid. It's made by Hormel, based in Minnesota, where I'm from.
Cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, everything has its place. Green Bean Casserole is poo poo with béchamel. Not everything needs to be gussied up.

The midwest really has the worst food of anywhere

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I cooked a Silverside/Eye of round(?) for 30 hours using my anova

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The texture is a bit odd when you're used to roast beef. The inside is so soft it splits when you try and cut it. Kind of mushy I guess but its hard to explain without eating it but its nice. It was seared in a stainless steel pan on the electric hob that is just in the top right of the photos. Setting 12/14 and it only takes about 30 seconds to a minute to get a almost entirely brown crust on each side once its at temperature.

Honestly making the gravy is the hardest bit of the meal because normally you have juice released from the meat to use but I heavily salted it and couldn't risk using the bag juice in the same way. Ended up chopping a potato up and adding to the gravy to leech some of the salt out and that was with only half of the juice.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

stick half a lemon inside the cavity. it works really well with the juices that come from a chicken imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

blixa posted:

Luck? He's the head chef for a good restaurant.

and still needs a roommate lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Secret Spoon posted:

Horse radish with Dijon and dry mustard powder is how I make spicy mustard for guests from across the pond. It's legit good stuff and makes me wish I could find that English mustard here stateside.

why do people never check amazon for food things http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_16?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=colemans+mustard&sprefix=colemans+mustard%2Caps%2C418

i mean its not particularly cheap but you don't use much of it when you do use it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tamarind is what you want for curries imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Skirt steak dropped to £7/kg. i let it rest for a really long time but it still leaked a lot of juice. is that down to the quality of the steak?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

Ribeye and aspergers for dinner last night. 130°F sous vide and finished on the Baking Steel.

lol and also looks good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tarbrush posted:

I use smoked paprika, toasted cumin seeds and cayenne pepper.

Also substituted the onion for fennel as I have reflux and it worked surprisingly well.

buy this and not suffer it again

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'd much rather actually buy it in costco for sure but they don't sell it here

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:holymoley:

since i don't have a pizza oven but can sous vide how did you do the lamb?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

First time doing sous vide pork tenderloin

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Made goulash/porkolt. I'd like to try eating it somewhere to know what its supposed to taste like and also practice plating

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah. ordered this paprika off amazon which idk how legit it is https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00824ZRH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but seemed as good as i was going to get

mostly followed chef johns recipe but added far more paprika and a bit of white wine

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

cross posting from the sous vide thread. top side/round of beef.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

steak currently resting

after resting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thats a very red pork shoulder

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

braise it with red wine and some carrots and diced celery and its real good if not actually what you were after. not sure what veg to replicate the slaw though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

whats the medication because that might be more fun than drinking

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Whenever I make and take pictures of authentic Italian cuisine I make sure to have my amiibo of Mario prominently featured in the shot as well

i gently caress it all up because i'm swedish

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the title suggests its swedish but its just something i found on google and having been to sweden i've seen banana on pizza myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQR-cPXlmY

• Locked thread