Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ErIog posted:

It's not like insanely expensive to get tomato paste, but it seemed silly to spend that much for an ingredient both of us were pretty sure would just sit rotting away in our kitchen that was such a small part of the overall recipe.

Those tubes are neat, I've never seen that before.

I don't want to be captain obvious but I have the same issue with not using the whole can, so when I open a can I portion the remainder out in tablespoons and freeze them. I haven't noticed any difference in quality and pre portioning means you can just throw it into a stew or whatever frozen. I do the same thing with ginger and garlic for things where the texture doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Got some brand new spices so it's Indian week.

Generic red lentil curry thing that's like half onions garlic and butter, chana masala using what the internet claims is Punjabi garam masala, aloo jeera.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rurutia posted:

That doesn't make them any less 'proper chopsticks' just cause they're cheap hahaha. Most of the time when I see the indented ones, they're used for cooking tbh. I've never seen a family use the indented ones mostly because everyone just buys the huge packs of cheap ones that have pretty nice slick comfortable wood.

Yeah I've lived in China and Korea and have never seen chopsticks with indents or the sandpapery ones. The ridged ones I've only seen at souvenir shops.

Anyway there are multiple styles, try them all and find the ones you're most comfortable with. I like the pointy Japanese type best.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Moey posted:

Crosspostin' from the bread thread.

Last night I took my first attempt ever at making bagels (I am also not a good baker).

I can honestly say that I have produced some of the world's ugliest bagels.

Those are some ugly goddamn bagels but do they taste bagely?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Had a craving for General Tso's. Did not make quite enough sauce for the volume of chicken but that's okay.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Can you share a recipe for this? I love me some American Chinese food.

I used the Serious Eats one, which is fiddly with the chicken breading but it works. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/the-best-general-tsos-chicken-food-lab-chinese-recipe.html

The only adjustment I made was I reduced the sugar by half and used way more chili peppers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fish was cheap so I Japaned. Saury shioyaki, catfish kabayaki, some cucumber salad thing I don't know if it has a particular name, basic miso soup. My toaster oven broiler didn't really brown the saury enough before it was cooked through, sadly underpowered.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stringent posted:

That's daikon oroshi next to the fish? Do they have daikon outside of Japan? I never really see it except for Korean pickles outside of Japanese food.

Did you gut the fish or does it come that way? I've never been able to get into sanma guts, but I know a lot of people who eat them like they're going out of style.

Yeah it's daikon oroshi and some homemade gari which I can't be bothered to try to cut thin enough for the real thing. I've never thought of daikon as unusual. It's sold everywhere in Korea and China and was around pretty normally where I'm from in the US.

I gutted them. Not into the bitter bile thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

LogicalFallacy posted:

The thing is that those are creole, and that basically counts as its own country.

No you don't get to take the best American cuisine and declare it isn't American. :colbert:

Besides what could be more American than throwing native, French, and West African food cultures in a blender and seeing what happens?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 4, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are similar dishes in many places. What we eat and call chicken pot pie I'm almost certain is a Pennsylvania Amish thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I did izakaya night.

Made individual gyudons, tonkotsu, karaage, korokke, fried tofu, Japanese potato salad, cucumber salad, and lotus, leek, bamboo shoot, and asparagus wrapped in pork belly tempuras.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It was really loving great. I thought I screwed up the tempura when I was making it but it turned out okay, and my friend who had lived in Japan said it was pretty close to the real thing. The rest of it I'd made before and knew it would be good but this was the first time I'd tried tempura. The selzer + vodka method works.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I made some Korean foods because my friend and I wanted to get poo poo ripped on makgeolli and be classy about it.

Braised tofu, spicy cucumber, a Korean style salad, kimchi, pajeon, and a bowl of sundubu jjigae in the back that you can't really see.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I made Thanksgiving again.

This year the main meat was a porchetta that was not actually blurry IRL. Also starring meatloaf, mac and cheese, cheesy grits, mashed potatoes, stuffing made with duck stock.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I mean, is it possible to make Thanksgiving dinner and not drink?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

This is great and subtle picturemaking, well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

sweat poteto posted:

Nice one. Skillet pizza is my method now. If the pan is well seasoned you can use little or no oil and get a traditional base.

I still use olive oil anyway because pizza crust bottom fried in olive oil is awesome.

• Locked thread