Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
How good everything looks in the final assembly is still up in the air.

The real X factor will just be how well everything's paced, cut, whether or not we give a poo poo about anyone involved, etc. The writers have done good stuff but I haven't seem anything of the director's, so I'm wavering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Basically yeah.

Either that or work yourself to death to make just enough money to be able to afford food for the sake for the sake of creating "art" that's been manufactured like a one hit wonder pop song.

Rants against the superficiality of pop music are not helping your case.

We're talking about a sequel to a film that was manufactured and hyped to the heavens from the instant the book was optioned.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
You're really conflating two at best tenuously related things here.

One is a very real problem in the VFX industry that could become a genuine crisis, and while all the FX companies going away would force some change in how Hollywood does things it would likely mean even more people going broke before studio executives feel any pinch, so it would be nice if they changed sooner instead of later.

The other is your judgment of how good Jurassic World is going to be based on the trailers. It may well end up terrible but if it is it won't just be because the CGI looks a little ropey.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Thing is, I grew up on Godzilla movies, Doctor Who episodes, and cheap 50s B flicks. Bad special effects rarely bother me unless they're aesthetically unpleasant (like, say, all the ugly mattes in the original Clash of the Titans.) Sure, Jurassic World cost multiple hundreds of millions of dollars and so on, so you expect them to be better to start with, but it won't make a huge difference unless it actually makes the film overall look bad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Mary Poppins in Dinosaur Land would be a really good movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

It's almost as if the whole "Nobody cares about the foreign markets" thing you disagreed with was ultimately correct. John Carter's 211 million worldwide doesn't matter when it only makes 73 domestically. Battleship's 65 domestic matters more than 237 international. Same goes for the positive examples you cite.

Pacific Rim, then- underperformed at home, is getting a sequel specifically because it made tons of money overseas.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Digital color grading became more common around the turn of the century (O Brother Where Art Thou was a big breakthrough) and that allows for easier and finer manipulation of the image than earlier chemical color timing approaches.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This is the second-best Jurassic Park movie, which doesn't mean a whole lot since JP is still waaaaaay above, but I found that more often than not it worked.

It's definitely a bit messy, and it does feel cut down in places (while overlong as a whole, so maybe the editing wasn't done very well.) The plot gets a little muddled with both the naive millionaire's group and the more overtly sinister developers, I can kinda see what they were going for overall. But everything with the dinosaurs was pretty strong and the climax achieves a certain kind of camp grandeur.

Bryce Dallas Howard manages to push through some of the clumsier moments in the script and make her character actually pretty memorable (despite the gender stuff being a little... off).

It's basically Jurassic Park done as a 70s-style disaster movie, with some of the bloat that comes with that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think I would have disliked that scene more if I had grown fond of the character, but she's barely sketched so instead it just felt like a weird focus.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The best toys are the Imagine-X line. My girlfriend's four year old nephew has a bunch of the playsets, they've got moving electronic parts and all sorts of license things plus generic stuff so you get pirate guys and aliens and Pixar Monsters going to the Batcave.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

I was just kind of moderately enjoying this movie until the big Raptor/T-Rex team up at the end, at which point I was 100% on board and the entire movie was elevated from like 2 stars to 3.5 stars for me.

Yeah, a good monster fight finish can absolve many sins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Immortan posted:

Jurassic World is currently at $643M domestic and it needs just $15M to knock out Titanic in the U.S.

I hope it does because gently caress James Cameron's obnoxious fanbase. :munch:

Titanic was a better movie tho.

I mean I didn't hate JW but it's basically okay. Acceptable.

• Locked thread