Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol when hobbyists roll in and tell you "avr supremacy" just because that's what arduinos use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

at my internship i wrote a driver for an ISA card, and i'm going to call myself an embedded engineer for the rest of my life for it.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

is dat sum teensy3? good poo poo op

Mr Dog posted:

teensy3? :barf:

Werthog 95 posted:

lol when hobbyists roll in and tell you "avr supremacy" just because that's what arduinos use

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

last thing i used my arduino for was hooking this thing up to my computer

then i couldn't think of anything worthwhile to do with it so now it sits there with wires hanging out its rear end

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

teensy 3 is a cortex-m4 dumbass

lol, ok, sure

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jimmy Carter posted:

for baby's first electronics project I'm going to be wiring up my apartment buzzer to internet via raspberry pi and then ideally going to an ESP8266 because I hear that it's the cool thing to do these days

hook it up to one of these so you squirt whenever you have visitors.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey so here's a hobbyist's question for the actual experts itt

i was gonna make a usb adapter for my ADB keyboard
()
because the protocol is super simple

but then i found somebody else had already made one, all you had to do was stick an s-video port on a teensy and load his firmware https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14290.0

the problem is: it sucks

so if i wanted to make my own, what's the hip good microcontroller for making usb adapters (that doesn't require me to use TI's lovely loving dev environment)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yeah but this one is already an avr and it's poo poo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i guess i could try to debug it and see exactly why it stops working when it does, and try to fix it, but other people on that forum who already know what they're doing have tried and the latest firmware still freezes up a few times a day

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

rig up a second avr as a watchdog and reset it when it dies?

for some reason the "a" key specifically kicks its rear end into gear again

i have a bus pirate that i have never used, guess this might be a good chance to try it out

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i still don't know how to assemble a cable :-(

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm either gonna get a pic or hook up the bus pirate to this teensy thing and see what's goin on i guess thx for the help

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

iirc the teensy handles the usb his side of things somehow, that was why id bought it in the first place. I think that's also why you find it in hacked mice

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

holy hell, look at all those pins

isn't there some open source alternative to the TI tools?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i still have this loving busted vacuum tube oscilloscope that i have no hope of restoring. gently caress http://richardsears.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/tektronics-316/

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

p sure rigol was recommended to me back when i was asking around for cheap, decent scopes

then i bought this instead

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Chill Callahan posted:

Yeah at the same time I really want a Tek 2465 but also dealing with repairs on something that old is a pain.

mine has been sitting around, broken, for about a year

"idk anything about tubes and poo poo but i could use a project!" i said, happily handing twenty dollars to Mr. Craiglist

i have a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

someone recycled this thing, is it any good

does it work?

• Locked thread