Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
how bad is the stuff on OpenCores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Poopernickel posted:

lol, just lol if your processor's compiler costs money for a non-poo poo version

GCC fo lyfe

thought you wanted a non poo poo compiler

clang 4ever

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Poopernickel posted:

The latest in mergergate - Qualcomm is apparently in talks to buy Xilinx

well at least the quality of their tools will

hahaha just kidding

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

what should i do for my senior design project

a synthesizer the likes of which the late 80s could barely imagine

make it vaporwave as gently caress

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

are there any remotely decent open-source (specifically bsd/mit/similar) soft core cpus that aren't a nightmare to compile c for
if so, post your favorites

TG68 is a VHDL implementation of the 68010

there are a couple other 68K implementations in VHDL and Verilog too like ao68000, with various licenses, Xilinx even has a 68020 as an IP block

and the 68K is great to compile C for with GCC, as well as to code in and debug assembly for, it was drat near the perfect CPU architecture

(LLVM/clang doesn't do 68K yet, alas, but people have been talking about it since making them able to easily accommodate the 68K's address/data register split would be a significant improvement for many architectures)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

BobHoward posted:

quote:

eschaton asserting 68k superiority

nah

(it has tons of software guy fans due to the things you mention but the architecture contained the seeds of its own destruction (too many potential memory references per instruction) and in the 68020 Motorola tripled down on the badness instead of fixing it. meanwhile Intel filed the roughest edges off x86 with the 386 and made it into something that was ugly for programmers but also a thousand times easier to design and debug an out of order implementation of, which sealed 68k's fate)

heresy

if you want a core that's maximally nice for writing code, use 68k

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't want to!

im aware FPGAs are bad but i really want a board with a bunch of dumb peripherals on it so I can jerk off to 8-bit CPUs and/or 68000s

look to the Atari ST and Amiga emulation scene for which boards to get for that

minimig runs on MiST and Altera DE1, which seems deece

i have a cheap Scarab Hardware board for that I haven't done much with yet, Spartan 6LX45, because it had tons of I/O (to connect up to NuBus I need at least 53 lines…) and Numato Waxwing is similar

the Scarab is what the dude who made an Amiga HDMI video card used; too bad he just built a frame buffer instead of implementing something Amiga chipset compatible but with modern output, the a 6LX45 should be plenty big enough to handle that

then there's the Zynq, which combine programmable logic with one or more nice ARM cores, and could also be great for emulation

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah I found that and it looks cool and cheap plus they sell all kinds of plug-in modules to go with it

it looks like anything with HDMI is really expensive

a lot of boards just need an HDMI breakout adapter for like $10-$20, the Numato boards are like that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

someone please

~*~ DISRUPT ~*~

programmable logic

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

$1 Cortex-M0 microcontrollers exist, you should be using those for low-volume (i.e. less than 100,000 units) or hobby projects, because GCC is probably better than whatever compiler you'd otherwise end up using.

also you can use clang

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

https://www.olimex.com/

this place is like a candy store if you're a hobbyist embdev nerd

ARM MCUs? full-on 32-bit and 64-bit ARM application processors with eMMC and NAND FLASH?

If U Want It? It's 4 Sale OK

ty mr dog this is v needs suiting

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

amazon has instances with fpga now

now you can run 68000 code in the cloud!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I am not a framer

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

can you believe we used to do floating point arithmetic on a 6502 running at 1.023 MHz?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

good luck!

just curious, how nicely does rust play with gdb/lldb?

rust uses LLVM for the backend, right? so LLDB should be along for the ride in a pretty straightforward fashion

especially since all of the changes to enable Swift support are really more about changes to enable support for languages that aren't subsets of Objective-C++

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

i thought lldb couldn't handle embedded targets?

depends on the embedded target

it can speak the gdb remote serial protocol and if it has support for your architecture/ABI/object/debug format (e.g. ARM, ARM ABI, ELF, DWARF) you can do an awful lot with it

and you can add any missing bits in a pretty straightforward fashion, the system is pretty modular, it's just if you need to add an entirely new architecture that things get hairy because you basically have to add that to LLVM

(so no 68K LLDB support yet, alas)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sweevo posted:

i got a TL866 from ebay. they're cheap and program everything you're likely to come across. if you shop around you can usually get a few adaptors thrown in for non-DIP chips. the software isn't a flaming pile of dogshit either, which alone puts it above 95% of programmers

man, that looks handy

thanks!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

okay bought a 40 dollar Chinese TL866 and some 27C400-120s off eBay, gonna make myself a custom kickstart ROM when they get here so my Amiga doesn't have to reboot twice when I power it on

be sure not to use a ROM image that uses an illegal instruction as copy protection

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

the sound section has the electrolytic caps yeah. they're not leaking or bulging though

doesn't mean they're not going bad

recap the world

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Poopernickel posted:

in tyool 2017 my employer is going into production on a brand new product, designs started from scratch in 2015

what did they pick to drive their analog knobs, leds, and buttons? an attiny88 featuring:
- 512 bytes of ram
- SPI controller with no FIFO and a shared data register between transmit and receive
- no UART
- obsolete toolchain
- 8MHz clock speed
- two PWM channels (and the board has 4 user-facing LEDs)
- saves maybe 30 cents versus an equivalent m0, on a product that will cost several hundreds of dollars

also none of the LEDs are on either of the PWM pins

wish I had a hot tub time machine so I could go back and bunch that designer right in the dick

but it doesn't actually need any more than that, why back in my day...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

have you tried Bubble Memory

if you have a GRiD then I have someone you need to meet

especially if you do any reversing

(they had, like, the cloud and an app store and poo poo in 1981 because they were all from PARC)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

did anything actually use bubble memory other than wacky MSX hardware and Konami arcade games

the GRiD Compass 1101 which was awesome and basically invented the modern laptop form factor

the GRiD Compass II 1139 was even more awesome, it was widescreen

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

why couldn't they have chosen a good language, like APL

or Lisp

someone should've let Chuck Moore use a Lisp Machine in college or something

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

even I have not used forth

you could build a tight Forth in 65816 assembly and then use it for your IIgs hacking

ever think of building any Apple II hardware to interface with it? you've got lots of slots...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

then Apple II stuff should be pretty simple since it's much slower and wider

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I tend to use preprocessor directives for those things for no real reason other than that's what i got used to, but they both end up the same way after compilation iirc. is there an advantage to one or the other?

I always prefer const uint8_t sex_number = 69; because the compiler has type information it can propagate, which is especially useful when you crank the warnings way up

if it has any effect at all on code generation it should be positive (due to having more complete type information)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

common lisp has a great standard as well, but it came out when lisp was already passing out of relevance

heresy, Common Lisp is quite relevant

I've run it on an Intel Edison and I run it on Raspberry Pi and classic Macs a fraction the speed and it works great

(yeah yeah yeah real world relevance etc. but if you're just doing hobby poo poo you can use what you what and CL can fit right into that, as can Haskell and anything else)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah, the c standard is one of the few reasonably complete language standards not entirely bound to a single implementation. javascript and c++ are the only other of relevance i can think of (common lisp has a great standard as well, but it came out when lisp was already passing out of relevance)

the ANSI C standard from 1989 is why I was able to download the latest mbedTLS and libssh2 source code and get them building on a 2002 iMac G4 running Mac OS 9.2.2, doing nothing that (in principle) wouldn't also compile on a Mac Plus running System 6 (modulo code size, mbedTLS compiles to about 1MB of code)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

that said I certainly wouldn't consider the C standard anywhere near "complete" given how many kinds of undefined and implementation-defined behavior it has, but the parts that are defined have turned out to be reasonably portable

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yeah, I'm just building everything in right now, including self-test, if I say I want to put data in "ROM" (actually Mac resources) and don't include self-test I bet it'll get plenty smaller even with all the cipher suites and such included

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

jfc i'm pretty sure i could do a better job than that and i've never designed a pcb before in my life

I'm pretty sure I could do a better job and I've basically never done or tried to do analog

how does one fail so spectacularly at blinking a loving LED?

(it reminds me of the analog-component-packed XNOR board Radio-Electronics published for their April Fool's issue one year in the late 1980s, it filled a 3x5 board and "only a few hundred of these and you can make a simple ALU!")

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i've tried all three and diptrace is the only one that feels like something written in the last ten years

but do either eagle or kicad feel like good software written in the 1990s-2000s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

its easy. you buy rpis and desolder the processors and

you buy RPi Compute Modules and SO-DIMM sockets

• Locked thread