Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

just wanted to pop in and remind everyone of the obvious and unquestionable truth of avr supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Tin Gang posted:

please go into detail because I was raised on PICs and know nothing else

as a hobbyist, avr just has a better toolset. winavr is a great c compiler and toolchain, and that's what i started on. also, because avrs are what's inside arduinos, there are a ton of code examples and people selling cheap avr programmers, and if you want you can even get the arduino ide to talk to a bare avr if you have a programmer. and you can get a nice isp programmer for avrs on the cheap, or if you really want to cheap out you can make one out of a parallel port and a few resistors

ive never done pic stuff, so no idea how it compares, i just like avrs because it's what i know

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Werthog 95 posted:

lol when hobbyists roll in and tell you "avr supremacy" just because that's what arduinos use

ug, loving casuals

idk man it was cheap and easy to get into even before arduinos, beg for free chips i mean 'engineering samples' from manufactures and rig the rest up from old parts a packrat cj already has

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

im a dumb hobbyist but microcontroller poo poo is fun as heck

i wired up a 4 digit 7 segment display and the first iteration i kept having some of the segments were dimmer than the others and when it finally clicked what i was doing wrong and how to resolve it i was all like :catdrugs:

just having to think about microseconds of delay and poo poo like that is a really fun exercise even if 'display 4 digits at a time' is a solved problem

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Werthog 95 posted:

hey so here's a hobbyist's question for the actual experts itt

i was gonna make a usb adapter for my ADB keyboard
()
because the protocol is super simple

but then i found somebody else had already made one, all you had to do was stick an s-video port on a teensy and load his firmware https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14290.0

the problem is: it sucks

so if i wanted to make my own, what's the hip good microcontroller for making usb adapters (that doesn't require me to use TI's lovely loving dev environment)

there are a bunch of avr / arduino tutorials on how to do have the chip be a usb keyboard, so you could start there and figure out the adb past and how to pass everything between on your own

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Werthog 95 posted:

i guess i could try to debug it and see exactly why it stops working when it does, and try to fix it, but other people on that forum who already know what they're doing have tried and the latest firmware still freezes up a few times a day

rig up a second avr as a watchdog and reset it when it dies?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

why do these nails have strange curly ridges on the sides and plus signs on the top? eh w/e *happily hammers away*

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Werthog 95 posted:

hey so here's a hobbyist's question for the actual experts itt

i was gonna make a usb adapter for my ADB keyboard
()
because the protocol is super simple

but then i found somebody else had already made one, all you had to do was stick an s-video port on a teensy and load his firmware https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14290.0

the problem is: it sucks

so if i wanted to make my own, what's the hip good microcontroller for making usb adapters (that doesn't require me to use TI's lovely loving dev environment)

alternate plan: open the keyboard, yank out the old guts and rig your mcu straight to the keys?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i know the real EEs itt don't care for avrs but it's all i know and i am kind curious what's out there, so what are the cons of avr or the pros of other mcu families?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Tin Gang posted:

this thing's been sitting around forever and I finally tested it. it works fine

there should be some use for it

give it to me please and thank you

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Apocadall posted:

i'd like to get a hobby oscilloscope for learning some things on my own outside of school. i see things like the dso chinese things that have bad reviews but seem like a neat thing, or buy a used behemoth on ebay

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i've been i the same sitch for a while. i need to shut STFU and eat ramen for a month and buy one.

similar. kindly report back because i really want to buy a reliable and cheap scope and love stories

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

im in on this scam, see u in hong kong prison m8

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

my current multi is the sparkfun knock off fluke that they got sued for

if this works out i will have paid less for the real thing, :laffo:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

not at this distance your honor

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

Old White Dudes:

Stop

That Is All.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

frukegate update:

ebay gave me my money back :)
they didn't give me a cheap fluke tho :(

they even did an expedited refund 'in light of the seller's recent activity'

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

DNova posted:

What? I got my money back a couple of hours after the account was deleted.

i just opened the claim today, ebay refunded the money minutes after i submitted it

was still holding out hope

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Mr Dog posted:

I'm doing firmware for a lil battery powered wireless sensor

it has a 1.5F supercapacitor on it for some reason :stonk:

makes power cycling more of a pain than it needs to be

sounds like it's actually supercapacitor powered now doesn't it

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

isn't that the kinda thing where you just throw a cap in front of it and it's fine?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i like chisel tip, i feel like they heat better than point tips. it's really personal pref tho

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think I set my fuses wrong on my ATMega32 while trying to get it working with an external crystal. I'm not sure if it's expecting an external clock signal or what but it doesn't work anymore. Gonna try either a function generator or another ATMega to generate a clock and see if that gets it back to life long enough to program the fuses again

Lesson learned

What programmer are you using? I think it uses the external clock from the programmer regardless of the fuse settings. If not, high voltage programming to force it to listen. I forget, it's been a while since I messed with that stuff.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

but like, is there a book or something for embedded systems out there? what will change for me?

Becoming an embedded developer is a wondrous time in a young man's life. You may wake up one day to find hair where there was no hair before (neck)

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

keeping this thread alive

What env are you using? Atmel studio or something with WinAVR?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Atmel studio, though I was looking at using Crosspack so I don't have to rely on a windows VM.

Why not just run it natively in Windows? Is the VM just an easy way to keep it separated?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Bloody posted:

it sounds like your primary operating system may be a piece of poo poo

My thoughts exactly

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

current school status:

avrs are fun lil chips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Bloody posted:

their solutions will still be garbage but so's your's and at least it's garbage you won't have to spend time creating :)

Don't post excerpts from my collection of lifehacks

• Locked thread