Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
I (in a team with others) janitor these bits:

the cms forward pixel detector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
lol at your 70 MHz dream scope

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
my uTCA crate is here! now only to wait for the actual boards to put in it and for the sweet release of death

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

urjtag?
every day is urine day

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
last time I charged $60 for sidework was while I was in college, and that wasn't even embedded poo poo

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mido posted:

writing like 5 functions that the non low level dude can call

it's like 100-200 lines at most and most of the unknowns and time sink will just be loving with Keil tools and maybe pokin a trace with a probe when the adc doesn't react as anticipated

I'm p bad at gauging how much my time is worth but my fear here is all the unknowns, don't wanna bill $300hr on something that doesn't pan out or maybe I don't end up with enough spare time to weekend warrior it etc

at least go for $150

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

imagine a for loop that instantiates modules on a human face, forever

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

A microcontroller is a small CPU with some other bits stuck onto the side, and those other bits are fairly inflexible beyond the specific tasks they were designed to perform. For a given task you choose a microcontroller which has all of the peripherals to get a particular job done and then ignore the peripherals you don't care about. An FPGA can be more or less any digital circuit, including a CPU. But it's not as fast as a "real" digital circuit etched into silicon.

An FPGA can do most things ("things" typically being "a form of digital I/O that this microcontroller wasn't specifically designed for" or "apply this mathematical formula to this stream of one billion integers") much faster than a microcontroller, to the point where an FPGA is the only practical way of getting that task done. The downside is that FPGAs are a lot more expensive and a lot more difficult to program for.

They're often used together, too: for example, an FPGA to do some bulk data processing and a microcontroller to handle control commands sent over USB. The microcontroller will have a hardware USB core that can be configured to autonomously shovel fast streams of data between the FPGA and the host computer's USB without the microcontroller CPU getting involved.

don't stop i'm almost there

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i janitored way too many bits today
(i'm responsible for the pc software for this daq system, wish i had control over the firmware for the front end, would be way easier than iterating with an engineer in strasbourg who doesn't like to give too many details away)

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Corla Plankun posted:

any of you lot ever used a photon for anything? this nodejs based embedded dev toolchain is the worst thing i've ever seen

i got one sitting on my desk waiting for me to get back and play with it

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
photon phuckaround update: it works after i reset their app, had to set up via usb. their little tindertinker app is cute.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i work out my dumps with a pencil too!

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

0fc00000
13c00000
0fe0084b
0fc00000
13c00000
0fe0164c
0fc00000
13e0164c
13c00000
0fe0184d

WHERE ARE THE GODDAMN HEADER/TRAILER MARKERS AFGASGASDGCXZV

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

i wish i could get a gal pal :(

build yourself one... out of gals and pals :boom:

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

silence_kit posted:

I watched a talk by an integrated circuit professor where he claimed that the first integrated circuit only worked when you stuck the oscilloscope probe on the output. The professor reverse engineered the circuit, noticed this, and asked the engineer at Texas Instruments who got the Nobel Prize for designing the first IC about it, and the guy quickly changed the subject.

the navy seal then punched the professor in the face for doubting kilby

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

i am personally interested in learning how to do a pcie but it is almost certainly outside the scope of this project

on my "stupid waste of time project list" is still sometime to make an isa card that does something silly

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i spent about 4 hours janitoring bits that were all over the floor today to find out my clock wasn't stable
(it was fine when i left it 2 weeks ago)

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
as I've learned over and over again: bits don't respond to janitoring when the voltage has dropped too far by the time it gets to the bit janitoring place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DuckConference posted:

are there fancy scopes that allow you to basically script a trigger? like "if data bus 1 value is 0xABCD and then within 20us there is a low pulse on analog line 1 lasting less than 10ns, wait 100ns and trigger"

i mean it's academic because we can't afford anything like that

the sweet rear end $$$ tek scope we have at work can if you pay more $$$ for the i2c or whatever else software unlocks

• Locked thread