Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theres also robotshop.com for more complete assemblies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I've used a cheap Chinese DSO thing at work a few times, it works fine for what it is

the biggest thing is that it's only grounded through your computer's USB port. if you are on a laptop it is a floating ground and you'll need to take great care with something plugged into the wall or else you blow out the USB ports and likely your mobo. we only used it on with usb/FireWire powered peripherals so it was just fine

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eschaton posted:

I was going by the last post in this thread on the 68 Katy and the other site linked from it which made me think running a >1 MHz bus onto a breadboard would be problematic.

well if you have long looping wires you're making antennas which needless to say is bad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fritz posted:

im a mathematician who snuck into signals and hardware thru a couple of end-arounds, i don't really understand this post but i feel like i should

what's the Fourier transform of the unit step function?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hed posted:

basically at speed everything is a transmission line

gently caress transmission lines and emc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fritz posted:

it's going to have power @ all frequencies?

and so this:

means that channel effects come in and act as a filter that needs to be dealt with?

was just getting at that if you want to analyze how good your square wave is you would need a significantly faster scope than you'd think if you just looked at the nyquist frequency

this was covered by other posters in significantly greater details

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mido posted:

generate wave forms, push them onto the DAC, pray the DAC characteristics aren't total poo poo

depending on what you need this is more than sufficient

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

doing actual bit janitoring today, recording and decoding i2c transactions :toot:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eh, I guess logic analyzers are also oscilloscopes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the $100 one I'm using has an analog channel, its more expensive cousins have the voltage waveforms available for all channels

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

$300? you can buy a real tektronix for $500

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I run my test equipment through the world's most advanced operating system.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maniacdevnull posted:

my current multi is the sparkfun knock off fluke that they got sued for

if this works out i will have paid less for the real thing, :laffo:

they didn't get sued, customs seized them, fluke was contacted and was rather confused as to why customs seized the because they are very obviously not flukes

there is no way that is a real fluke, it's either straight up counterfeit or if from the real factory failed qa or wasn't made with real parts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Base Emitter posted:

apparently fluke trademarked yellow cases or some poo poo?

the cases were red though which is what was ridiculous about it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

lol does it still break out GPIOs onto separate chips interfaced over I2C?

this is like some black and white infomercial world poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but wait, for $9.99 you get not one, but two SPI buses just pay separate shipping and handling

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kwinkles posted:

this sounds pretty rad. here is what i made with 12 full speed gpios:

please tell me theres a speaker too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i feel like you're really missing the full beep-boop experience without a speaker

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its so loving weird going from computers that have gigabytes and gigabytes of RAM and terabytes of hard drive space to cursing that your program is 128 bytes shy of fitting in your little 16bit micro controller

somehow it fits with -O4 which is using a kilobyte less space than -O3. either ti is magic or its just randomly cut out parts of my code :ohdear:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its ti's msp430 compiler

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its included in CCS 6; my options for compilers are TI v4.4.2, TI v4.3.3 and GNU v4.9.1

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blotto Skorzany posted:

'look at the asm' is always the right answer. in cases where it doesn't seem to be the right answer, you're asking the wrong question.

yeah, i know, i was more tearing my hair out at being just over on flash

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah iirc 1-wire devices leech power from the bus during downtime and their energy cap is measured in nF i think

1-wire must have been developed on a dare

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mido posted:

i2c me :wink:

i'm the spy by wire

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

neg my chip select

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

those are communications related :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so i need to be able to program some simple little spi flash chips, whats the professional version of bus pirate/flashrom because thats slow as molasses

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Barnyard Protein posted:

the total phase aardvark is a pretty cheap spi/i2c host adapter that can do SPI @ 8MHz

so wait the bus pirate is 8mhz, I have a 64Mbit flash. it shouldn't take 30 minutes to write. is this just flashrom being terrible?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Barnyard Protein posted:

Yeah maybe its not the flashrom thats the problem. i googled "64Mbit spi flash" and this is the first data sheet i found. http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/25036B.pdf

this fellow has 256 byte pages, a "fast" 1.5ms page program time, this is about 45 seconds 6 minutes to program the whole 64Mbit. maybe 30 minutes is reasonable for your flash device i did a bad math

yeah was working that out when you did the edit. the chip in question is actually the winbond equivalent, small spi flash chips are all very similar though

when i said flashrom i meant the program flashrom which was originally intended for open source/free software crazy people to modify their motherboard's bios

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

64Mbit/115kbaud = 600s.

:ughh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a bus pirate uses a usb serial port for all commands

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flashcat looks like exactly what I want

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so when you have a file which is literally called "raw binary file" you should just stream it bit by bit into a flash to be loaded later right

wrong! its actually the wrong endianness!

thanks altera

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

fpga tooling is never good.

well if you want to take a lot of breaks while its compiling synthesizing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

how on earth am i using an fpga toolchain released in the past year that does not support systemverilog, a thing that has existed for over a decade

embedded tools are all terrible because as engineers we learn how to work around problems as a living

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

i have now written thousands of lines of verilog in the past few days and other than annoyances like the above this has been less painful than i was expecting.

when does the other shoe drop?

trc.exe has stopped working

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oh good

still debugging is a bitch but thats true for MCUs too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

$35 is cheap

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

i am

but it seems like a tough gig to break into

also microcontrollers and socs being what they are these days it seems there aren't that many places where asics or fpgas are cost-effective

fpgas are amazing for relatively low run stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

it isnt happening this morning :tinfoil:

you need to perform an exorcism on the FPGA, sorry

• Locked thread