Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I got a ksz8794CNX that is poo poo and I hate this stupid loving switch.

It's connected to an IMX6, and when I boot using the imx_usb_loader, 99% of the time the chip comes out of reset just fine. But if I boot off of EMMC the chip freaks out and get's pissy and refuses to auto-negotiate.

Yank the reset GPIO low? Nah, doesn't work.
Yank the 1v2 line low? Nah, doesn't work.

The TRM has no power sequencing requirements either. gently caress Micrel and their stupid loving chips.

Bloody posted:

microchip is pretty awful, so its probable

I was looking at this: http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/ATAES132A for future products. It's only 56c in 53c of 100+. :shrug:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DuckConference posted:

is the EMMC chip okay?

a cheap POS SD card that happens to be a soldered down chip instead of a card is still a cheap POS SD card

Yeah it's fine. It's a crucial 8GB card and has never given me any issues.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

why does anybody use atmel for anything

I was thinking about using a sha256 authentication chip from them. Seems cheap and would be nice for storing a private key yes?

Is there another company/chip I should look at?

Edit:
Something like this: http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/ATSHA204A#buy

50c~ per unit seems ok.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 9, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

What's the best PCB design software for idiot hell fuckers like me

Altium

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

is ST's toolchain better than the NXP kinetis line?

because hoooly poo poo it was a colossal pain to figure out how to use NXP's peripheral configurator to set up my PLLs, and the resulting code wouldn't even compile

Gcc works fine if its a imx processor. Not sure about their other ones though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Device tree is so easy to learn and good that if you don't understand it in a hour of looking at other device trees you are bad and shouldn't be modifying kernel code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

so i guess i won't be seeing device tree in any bsps soon

Tons of device trees are provided by Bsps.

• Locked thread