Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
PCI driver in Linux is pretty easy to write. the problem with pcie is that it's difficult to debug the physical layer unless you have very good tools.

I2S is actually a super easy way to move a lot of data and you can get parts with pretty fast I2S channels. if your signal rate is higher, for higher rates usb is probably your best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm doing my part!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Werthog 95 posted:

lol when hobbyists roll in and tell you "avr supremacy" just because that's what arduinos use

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
better than accumulator architectures, I guess. but seriously, use a cortex M0/3

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

this isn't the 1970's and we have cycles to fukkn spare like woah

a thing high level software people actually think

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mr Dog posted:

there are still people using something other than Cortex-M chips for something that doesn't have to be ultra low power

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

kwinkles posted:

it can definitely be fun and it's very satisfying when you figure out that what you were doing wrong in the programming sequence, yeah.

this must be what it feels like to work in post silicon verification except there's no money riding on me figuring out how to make this silly display work.

Silicon verification loving sucks horse dong.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

suffix posted:

is codesourcery still a thing?
the last time i did anything serious with arm you couldn't use mainline gcc, you had to download a specific two releases old version of codesourcery, or your program would crash

yes. ARM hired them to make GCC not terrible for ARM targets. they've made some good progress.

eschaton posted:

how's LLVM/clang as an embedded compiler these days? should have pretty good ARM support.

it is the default compiler for iOS so it's pretty good at arm (and the best arm64 compiler now that Apple open-sourced their backend). it took them a long time to figure out stuff that embedded targets need, but now they seem to be on it so they won't blow your stack up or break cortex m by putting in unsupported op codes. although they do have a knack for screwing up inline asm. It's probably my compiler of choice unless I'm really pressed for space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

from reading this thread, i am no longer interested in FPGA design

spend some time working with them, then you'll really no longer be interested

Bloody posted:

fpgas make me want to drink

same except kill myself

• Locked thread