Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i would like it very much if xmegas came in DIP packages because i am still an idiot babby who hasn't bothered to spend 10 dollars on a handful of QFP breakouts and i don't know why i'm not ordering some right now ffs all the cool chips only come surface-mount these days anyway

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah it's nothing about soldering it by hand it's that i literally have been too lazy to get the breakouts because i have a bunch of DIP attinys sitting around and tbh i kinda like making dead-bug circuits

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

a thing high level software people actually think

i was gonna say "the android motto"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You should buy an arduino if you're looking for the easiest and most straightforward way into microcontroller programming at a hobbyist level. The one board gives you everything you need and can operate as an ISP once you get enough electronics knowledge to work with discrete chips.

People slag arduino all the time because people build dumb projects with them while they're learning, but it is designed to be a learning tool and it's fantastic at that.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 27, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is dat sum teensy3? good poo poo op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

teensy 3 is a cortex-m4 dumbass

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i ordered a couple of spark photons cause a $19 wifi thingie development board sounds cool to me. has anyone used the spark devices? how are they

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

are you telling me to disregard your post or to disregard the device?

i like the idea of screwing around with wifi stuff but finding something capable of it for under 20 bucks has been nearly impossible and hey this has a 120mhz cortex on it as well

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

poll: is it pronounced "A T Tiny" or "at tiny"? "A T Mega" or "at mega"?

i pronounce the letters individually but someone else i know pronounces it at-whatever and it drives me up the wall

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

suffix posted:

at-mega, as in atmel

that one makes sense but then ATtiny at-tiny sounds so stupid

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wondering if maybe one of you expert bit janitors can tell me what's wrong with my hall effect sensor

it's a honeywell ss411 type hooked up to an arduino (lol) with nothing more in the circuit than the power, ground and signal wires. when powered, the sensor's output slowly pulses up and down at about 0.5hz. the difference between the peaks and valleys here is about 50mV.

the chopped up section at the end is me passing a magnet back and forth in front of the sensor. the magnet reliably drops the output to ground, but as you can see the pulsing continues in the "background".

this happens with two different arduino boards, on two different computers, with two different sensors. i am like 99% sure that the output should be constant.

what happen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have discovered that decreasing the delay between samples results in a noisy but reasonably stable output.

this delay affects both the rate that the ADC is sampled and the rate at which the data is sent back to the computer. In the first one it was 10hz and in this new graph it's 100hz. what the hell is happening and why

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i thought about that, but if whatever_circuit isn't charging when the magnet is in front, shouldn't the first graph be distorted so that it sort of picks up where it left off when i remove the magnet? as it is, the cycling is independent of the magnet position

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah the latter data is usable, i think, but i still want to know why it's happening!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol i'm a dumbass. i put it on the oscilloscope totally out of the circuit and got the same weirdness and was like "WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING" then suddenly realized it's an open collector device, not something that is supposed to output a specific voltage level. stuck a 10k between the output and Vcc and now it works perfectly. herp derp

s'cool that the serial port and/or more likely the sampling rate of the adc can have that much of an effect on the residual charge or whatever it was measuring, though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is the EEVblog guy on youtube good or is he a wacko? I watched some of his reviews of oscilloscopes and he seems to know what he's talking about, but he also sounds like he's just about to go off the rails, and I can't tell if he actually is or if it's just, his, infuriating, breathy, australian, ACCENT???

and some of the stuff i don't know how much stock to put in. like when he says multimeters that use glass fuses are "unsafe garbage", i'd never heard that before. maybe for a lineman sure but for a hobbyist poking at lvdc?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

but the fuses are inside a heavy plastic housing. i've blown up ~22ga wires, about the same size as in those 10a glass fuses, with capacitors before and i can't imagine there being that much damage from one exploding wire encapsulated in glass and plastic and rubber. a startling bang and maybe destroyed meter sure but it's not like you're going to lose a finger?

now if you're accidentally probing something that's really high voltage, thousands or tens of thousands, i guess then you could be in poo poo, but i think most people encountering that sort of circuit would know what they're doing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that is a good point, i hadn't thought about arcing and all those conductive plasmas and stuff. i guess that's why the high power ones have ceramic inside?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so can i get ceramic fuses of the same rating to replace the glass ones in my multimeter or are they necessarily different sizes?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kinda really want that rigol ds2072 he reviewed

i have your standard 30 dollar 20mhz analog scope but a digital one would be really nice for looking at logic and just look at all those cool features like waveform storage!! but i can't really justify 800 dollars as i'm still just a fart around hobbyist really but the 350 dollar ds1000 series doesn't look anywhere near as cool. gr

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody posted:

also i strongly dislike rigol scopes after we had some cheap as poo poo ones in undergrad that were the least responsive pieces of garbage ive ever used. tektronix 4 lyfe~

the eevblog guy seems to think it's a great "entry-level good scope". yeah i'd love a tektronix but like, i'm not a fuckin millionaire and i don't do this for a job. well i do teach a little bit of electronics for a job but it's hackery stuff, nothing that really needs anything more complex than the 20mhz analog prole scope. id like to have a decent digital one to help debug students' projects though.

ChiralCondensate posted:

lol at your 70 MHz dream scope

well u know, depends what you do day to day. i lol at people who dream of machine tools costing anywhere less than $100,000

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

currently i'm dreaming of a quarter million dollar nitrous-oxide-assisted laser cutter

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what's the fastest oscilloscope ever made and what exactly do they change to make a scope faster?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

godfuckingly fast opamps and components

every trace carefully laid out for min inductance and crosstalk

basically as close as you can get to manipulating the supernatural

how do you make an opamp faster?

I know very little about semiconductor physics but it's always fascinating to me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

what do you call a decorative component on your 'board?

a tchotchke diode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:manning:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can (average) logic analyzers look at things other than square waves at standard logic levels, though?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Arcsech posted:

its trade dress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_dress

i think apple used the same thing against samsung but idk for sure. anyway it was a case of customs thinking it violates their trade dress and if fluke had said "naw its cool" they would have lost intellectual property rights over it, which would have resulted in "fruke 117"s in identical looking cases being a-ok

or something, like that idk

yeah this is pretty much exactly it. some pencil-dick at customs noticed that fluke has a trademark on yellow multimeters and told fluke about it, and a lack of defense on their part demonstrates that they don't care about genericization and would make winning a legal case against any ripoff they DO care about in the future basically impossible.

it's the same reason disney sues people who advertise that they'll dress up as "princess jasmine" or "ariel the mermaid" for kid birthday parties. contrary to popular belief, they don't like stomping all over little kids' happiness, they are just required to act whenever they find out about a case of infringement in order to hang on to the rights

hobbesmaster posted:

the cases were red though which is what was ridiculous about it

nah they were yellow. sparkfun switched to red after that incident.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eschaton posted:

stopped by Fry's and picked up an Intel Edison Arduino Kit, it's basically an Arduino but with two 32-bit x86 cores running at hundreds of MHz with gigabytes of RAM and flash and WiFi and Bluetooth instead of an 8-bit microcosm trooper with kilobytes of RAM and flash and a straw to the rest of the world

downside: running Yocto Linux (or any Linux) on an embedded system

is this an rtos at least? lol if you think you can do any kind of good electronic work fighting against a preemptive scheduler

also

eschaton posted:

8-bit microcosm trooper

mods

also

Jonny 290 posted:

Old Men:

Warning

Warning

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

while home for the holidays i found my very first old serial arduino that i built from a kit :3:

it's all through-hole and it has an atmega8 on it and needs to be programmed with a level-shifted serial cable cause there's no such hardware on the board

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 7, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I really like the look of the rigol 2072 or whichever one is the $800 one with the fast update and density plotting to look like an analog scope

EEV blog guy says it's a great "entry level good" dso too so that's a big plus

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can drive 512 ws2811-type rgb leds at 30Hz with a bog standard avr and a single data line fyi, as long as it has about 2k of ram and >16mhz

I.e., an arduino

You don't by any means need 12 gpio and an Intel processor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tin Gang posted:

did you know that the basic equation describing the attraction between charges has never needed to be corrected in hundreds of years? it is as accurate for systems the size of an atom as it is for entire galaxies

take that mechanical engineers!

Also, the Pythagorean theorem has never been disproven or needed any additional coefficients added in the thousands of years since it was first created.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is that all sarcastic or why do you own a logic analyzer if making an led turn on is a big deal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

i mean as far as i can tell it's there to smooth out the shock of the radio switching on and transmitting because the power consumption blips up from 300 uA to 10 mA for a fraction of a second, they only overspecced the necessary capacitance for that by uuh like six orders of magnitude or so nbd

it's a wireless sensor you said -- you sure it's not there to enable the thing to store some values to EEPROM or do a graceful shutdown for some reason when power is cut?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raluek posted:

did someone say supercap

What kind of device need 470F of capacitors and what is the onrush current draw?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

saving that to put up on my classroom wall, tia

(i may make a proper cleaned up version)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do you have to worry about transistor switching speed? or is 200khz (i would guess, for 100kbit) just like totally bog slow as far as a transistor is concerned

i know that some types are faster than others but that's it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i need a digital oscilloscope, i think. i'm trying to show signals to a class of 20 people and having them look at the four inch crt at the front of the class is just not working out. nothing complicated, just the kind of things that are relevant to an arduino

can something like a rigol ds1054z output video to an external monitor of some kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not sure how well a video camera would show a scope trace. i've thought about it, though

• Locked thread