Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c bits s: dealing with special snowflake ADCs is annoying. 20-bit output range? yeah that won't be annoying at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk was helpin a coworker out

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sund posted:

coworker heard i liked jigsaw puzzles and brought me some sweet vendor swag

dang, i want that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my coworkers complain that my workspace is messy. the most filthy, wire-infested portions of my workspace are still neater than the dut in that picture

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtR63-ecUNo very relevant to thread title

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i would do it ~on the metal~ but thats because i dont know poo poo about operating systems (other than that theyire poses)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah a 100MHz scope would be solid for that. make sure your probes don't have shitass bandwidth though; that's what's been biting me lately (albeit at higher frequencies - 50 MHz signals into 100 MHz probes on a 500 MHz scope look like rear end). various forms of logic analyzers and things like that are nice but not as mandatory as just a working scope imo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

longview posted:

the saleae Logic series is pretty nice for slowish logic, the new ones are mixed signal too, not a scope replacement but a nice supplement if you're troubleshooting timing and logic problems instead of signal integrity issues

dang their highest end model looks fuckin sweet

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my solution is well dang i only work with poo poo that's like <10 volts <1 amps, ever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the aforementioned logic thing that plugs into a computer (saleaeaea whatever) looks awesome and is pretty cheap depending on your bandwidth and channel count needs

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also i strongly dislike rigol scopes after we had some cheap as poo poo ones in undergrad that were the least responsive pieces of garbage ive ever used. tektronix 4 lyfe~

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://teledynelecroy.com/100ghz/ according to google

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you make it out of better physics

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like GaAs

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or GaInAs :xd: what a name

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

DNova posted:

oh hello are we talking about III-Arsenides???

GaInAs is funny but most people use InGaAs.

Are they meaningfully different? Idk poo poo about chemistry or detailed semiconductor physics I just like saying gay in rear end more than in gas

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Lmfao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Buy the biggest, baddest tek you can.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Oscilloscopes enable time domain visualization of electrical signals. The more you spend, the finer the time domain detail you can see. You can see both voltages and currents. Fancy models can do Fancy things, like frequency domain analysis or other complex maths.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

longview posted:

when you move up to spectrum analyzers and storage scopes their clothes literally fall off right there

Text me

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Oshpark owns, use it a lot.

Also, install diptrace

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Also ten megs on a breadboard is going to be fine, your tenth order harmonics are still more than a meter and the parasitics will be irrelevant

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

well if you have long looping wires you're making antennas which needless to say is bad

Which, at 10 mhz, need to be nearly a meter in length to be relevant to your tenth order harmonic (which is pretty dang irrelevant, you can get by just fine with like less than fifth order)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Back in school we built an arm7 system on a solderless breadboard with like memory buses and poo poo running all over the place and those effects were by far the least of our issues

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Olivil posted:

10 MHz on a breadboard is possible as long as you keep in mind to build everything as compact as possible

Do this, but also don't sweat it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

If 10x your frequency is still long relative to whatever you're doing, then nothing matters

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

that's pretty cool

i'd like to design something with like DDR2 RAM but apparently it's really hard to get right idk

i mean i think you're supposed to start with easier poo poo like just a microcontroller with integrated flash and sram but unfortunately that's not very useful for what i have in mind, it needs to have a bunch of io but also a tcp/ip stack and being able to run high level poo poo like http and that basically means linux (no i am not going to use uip)

It's not so much hard as just expensive. With stuff like that you have to start caring about impedance controlled traces and that generally means lots of layers and things like termination and now you've got an eight layer board with bga components and microvias and that poo poo sucks at least at a hobbyist level

Although for what you're looking for I dunno something like tis new m4s could work maybe? Tm4c I think?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

movax posted:

All this talk of clock speed, and no mention of edge rate

10Mhz tells you the period of the signal, doesn't tell you poo poo about the edge rate of the signal; if you've got some shiny new parts driving 10mhz on a tiny rear end process, you could have near sub-ns rise times, which is a frequency much higher than 10mhz

here's a good explanation: http://www.freelists.org/post/si-list/3dB-or-Knee-Frequency,3

Si-list is legit, even if it's sometimes full of grey beard fights, but these guys design 100G+ telecom backplanes, so I listen

ya and all your shitass parasitics are gonna demolish those edge rates

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Holy poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JewKiller 3000 posted:

hey fuckers my cool dad has a basement full of 70s-80s test equipment, mostly hp stuff he repaired himself, plus some newer things. i hardly know what any of it does but i see the posts in this thread all "i could use an XXXXX" and i'm like, oh yeah we got one of those. and no you can't have it.

just making sure you know that your hobby is exactly the same as everything else: dominated by people who are older and richer, and therefore better, than you

just lol if your in this hobby without a work or school lab to go into and use hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars of equipment whenever you want

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

doing actual bit janitoring today, recording and decoding i2c transactions :toot:

:toot:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oscilloscopes are hands-down the most useful tool for debugging/testing/diagnosing any circuit

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i prefer diff probes and low-ohm resistors because current clamps tend to suck rear end for milli and microamp measurements

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1428

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eschaton posted:

stopped by Fry's and picked up an Intel Edison Arduino Kit, it's basically an Arduino but with two 32-bit x86 cores running at hundreds of MHz with gigabytes of RAM and flash and WiFi and Bluetooth instead of an 8-bit microcosm trooper with kilobytes of RAM and flash and a straw to the rest of the world

downside: running Yocto Linux (or any Linux) on an embedded system

wonder how hard it'd be to boot Darwin on it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

That is very few, lousy gpios

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The only time I used a rigol it's ui was a laggy terrible piece of poo poo is that still the case

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bump

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Tin Gang posted:

most of my electrical stuff lately has been less "cool projects" and more "learning a poo poo ton of math"

Cool let's talk about math then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

whats the compiler? gcc doesnt even have an O4

• Locked thread