Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

i have a lookup table mapping 10-bit values to 9-bit values. every possible 10 bit input is accounted for. you would think that, given absolutely arbitrary 10-bit input, it would be utterly impossible to get a 9-bit output that does not exist in the table.

and yet...

:suicide:

in fact, it is such a frequent occurrence i can reliably trigger a scope on it.

it depends on what the function that maps 0-1024 to 0-512 is

if you're just chopping off a bit, sure you should have each 9-bit value in that table twice

if you're doing something else, there's a good chance it'll miss some 9-bit values

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

ive used docker for tensorflow before, it's nice to have a toolchain like that not sprawling across my real machine

docker or vagrant or anything to keep awful toolchains from making GBS threads up your host os

had too many windows installs ruined by visual studio

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

idk why you think centos is going to be 'better', the best clue i have is that i need "whatever OS was installed on the berkeley CS machine s141.millennium in 2014"

hating ubuntu is just dog whistle racism

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Storysmith posted:

:aaaaa:

so i had to look this up and didn't see an immediate answer

are these vms multitenant? can pci-e even support multitenant securely where one of the tenants has complete control of a device on the bus? you can literally make malicious devices to try to escape the hardware protections

of course you'd have to get your design to synthesize in the first place so we have that barrier of time

they're almost certainly not multitenant; lots of 'em just use the hypervisor to kick you out when you're done or if you run out of money

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

my car's infotainment system hung on my way home

my first thought was "wheres the debug port"

last firmware update for mine added a menu option to reboot for when it fucks up too much

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

is docker actually a (sane, working, meaninful) thing? because i got roped into thinking so, then tried to deploy something docker-based, and it was a horrorshow. which might just as well be a sign that my janitoring expertise has run its course and in fact i don't have the right skillset to manage it, but somewhat egoistically i am tempted to think it is just sort of poo poo

it's nice in dev but production is a horror show of incomprehensible products that are impossible to spell

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

embedded programming question: if you have a constant in your code, what might be the reasons to use either

#define SEXNUMBER 69

vs

const uint8_t sex_number 69;

?

I tend to use preprocessor directives for those things for no real reason other than that's what i got used to, but they both end up the same way after compilation iirc. is there an advantage to one or the other?

the preprocessor directive can be overridden with a compiler flag if you set it up with an #ifndef surround

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sapozhnik posted:

well, shifting by more than the word size is also undefined. on some arches you get zero, on others the high-order bits of the shift parameter are ignored.

that's a feature, mapping a language feature to an arch feature is what C is for

if you don't like it, use a better language, like most of them

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i have no idea to tell why my stupid complicated teensy 3 project doesn't appear to work lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

The teensy 3 is real and strong and my friend. What is going wrong?

well ya boi got too ambitious trying to be the first to get https://crystal-lang.org/ compiled and running on arm-none-eabi https://github.com/bkerley/os-crystal

i can actually compile everything into an ELF (this took a couple weeks of free time), link it out to an ihex that teensy_cli_loader accepts, but it doesn't blink the LED like i want it to https://github.com/bkerley/os-crystal/blob/master/src/main.cr#L8

next time i feel like looking at it i'm probably gonna make one of the C files that initializes the chip do something with the LED so i can bisect where it's failing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

it sounds like you people are trying to use something other than god's own programming language, C++

c++ is trash though, the safety of c combined with the readability of perl

• Locked thread