Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i brought my $3 soldering iron to colorado, oh and a DMM. i dont have any diy inventory though i STILL need to spend like 1k to get things goin

good thred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm thinking of doing RGBW LED strips in Hausbus instead of christmas lights.

what would be a fun controller/board to use that isnt arduino. cheapside. not much power needed. i/o for a couple mode buttons or a spectrum pot would be fun

figure i can use whatever and just use pwm drivers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one of my 2015 goals is to figure out a microcontroller solution for transmitting and receiving AFSK without a dedicated modem chip. then I can strap this to a $30 chinese ham radio and have a $70 packet radio node that I can hook up to whatever and do neat things with.

there doesnt really seem to be a solution to this right now. theres an arduino modem board that'll do it but it's $$$$ and feels too Commodore-1541 to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i saw that but all i'm trying to do is modulate and demodulate 2400 bps AFSK audio on the board. i'll provide an audio pipe in and out to a real transmitter.

I kind of don't believe in SDRs for everyday use yet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i've seen a few decades now of connectivity issues, like, you look at a gadget in one room that you want to control from another room and you're like "man i wish there was a little single task computer i could program to just basically push the buttons on this dumb thing" and that's what microcontrollers are to me, really. really good ways to interface the physical and electronic worlds

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

is the EEVblog guy on youtube good or is he a wacko? I watched some of his reviews of oscilloscopes and he seems to know what he's talking about, but he also sounds like he's just about to go off the rails, and I can't tell if he actually is or if it's just, his, infuriating, breathy, australian, ACCENT???

and some of the stuff i don't know how much stock to put in. like when he says multimeters that use glass fuses are "unsafe garbage", i'd never heard that before. maybe for a lineman sure but for a hobbyist poking at lvdc?

the problem isn't poking at LVDC, it's accidentally hitting HVDC. glass fuses are bad esp when in a multimeter that might be just inches from your face

eevlblog is legit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats it i'm buying a bunch of test gear and a parts stock and if mrs doesn't like it she can leave

i'm going INSANE

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

what's the fastest oscilloscope ever made and what exactly do they change to make a scope faster?

godfuckingly fast opamps and components

every trace carefully laid out for min inductance and crosstalk

basically as close as you can get to manipulating the supernatural

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
do we need a separate surplus thread, or should i just megapost

i will clue u all in about american science + surplus, electronics goldmine, fair radio sales

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
k, on it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Apocadall posted:

i'd like to get a hobby oscilloscope for learning some things on my own outside of school. i see things like the dso chinese things that have bad reviews but seem like a neat thing, or buy a used behemoth on ebay

yeah i've been i the same sitch for a while. i need to shut STFU and eat ramen for a month and buy one.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i need one bad right now because we're about to build Radio Free YOSPOS and i need to troubleshoot HF RF circuits and filters

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ill do it up. IRL intervening right now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tin Gang posted:

can someone help me pick out a display to buy to hook up to a microcontroller? previous experience: making a single 7-segment display spell out "yourE gAy" one letter at a time.

I'm looking at stuff like this http://www.adafruit.com/products/661 http://www.adafruit.com/products/358 but I dunno what products/stores are good

I don't have any specific goal in mind I just wanna buy one and goof around with it

they're pretty simple these days i think, get an SPI interface board, load the library, start drawing boxes and sending text

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah. every trace is now a capacitor to some neighboring trace and/or ground, as well as an inductor along its length. this makes a low pass filter that is going to soften your rise and fall times

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that was a pretty lovely post lmfao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2015 is the year i stop being a whiny bitch and save my pennies and get a scope and signal gen and a bunch of parts and we build poo poo.

have not forgotten about surplus post i have it drafted, there are a couple awesome shops i cant remember the name of yet tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i need components, rf connectors and adapters out the rear end, breadboards, a fistful of microcontrollers, antenna supplies, woooo

the year's first project is the 13.560 mhz beacon though. be nice to have a scope for that

e: i should solar power it with a lil battery and find some rancher that'll let me put it up at 11k feet or something goofy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Old White Dudes:

Stop Getting Brow Lifts

That Is All.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im almost assuredly not going to buy this right now but lemme get a thumbs up/down on this one just so i can get an idea of the market

it feels about $75 high to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Arcsech posted:

jonny what are you looking for in a scope?

ability to build and troubleshoot HF oscillators, filters, amps. i do not see myself loving around with >30 mhz stuff for the near future really

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
alright. am i going to hate myself if i don't go for a storage scope? and are analog storage scopes at all reliable/decent

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wow thats pretty nice

to answer: i dont know much about the shenzhen test equipment tidal wave and am scared because all those mini scopes get bad reviews cause theyre obviously recycled androids or w/e, etc.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok i think i will save my pennies + pick one up cause yeah i dont want an old 70 lb tek that just breaks anyways and welp that was a custom IC throw it in the trash, out $100

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah iirc 1-wire devices leech power from the bus during downtime and their energy cap is measured in nF i think

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oscilloscopes and stuff

90 minute dig into a 100 ghz scope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3w_EWgGQuk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the ARRL Handbook is also really good to keep around

I remember one time at a ham club meeting i won a copy of the ARRL Antenna Book and holy poo poo that was like better than any box of candy to my nerdy self

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spankmeister posted:

hello thread i like to build tube amplifiers

are you ready to die

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im not sayin it WILL kill you, but im not sayin it wont

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no its honestly ultra poo poo to use rape like that, dont do it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if your time is worth minimum wage you can get a 12-18 1a adapter and a shenzhen stepup board and a 6 pin mini din. otherwise just buy the psu

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr Dog posted:

imagine, if you will, that this is Sochi and we have two toilets in the same room. and there's a bunch of people in the room who communicate by flushing these two toilets in various prescribed patterns and watching the water levels.

iiuc this is basically how i2c works

"Oh, my husband used all the hot water. This means I need to buy eggs"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you see a clock pulse crossing zero. It's inverted. You don't throw an interrupt. Why is that?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just make one ffs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

C.H.O.M.E posted:

friend of mine works for motorola that spun off manufacturing to become freescale that was bought by NXP (which i think was a mfg spinoff of philips) and he complains a LOT about legacy stuff like every couple years fabbing 1 lot of devices for motorola cop radios from the 1970s that they signed a 50 year parts availability contract on, and running like 50 lots of a device thats gonna get EOLed so they can put them on a shelf and sell them for the next decade and other weird stuff like that

yep i got to meet the archive parts/manuals guys when I toured Motorola. they are 75 years old with gandalf beards and their cubes are stacked 12 feet high with binders and manuals. If you have a 1972-installed Motorola radio system, and it breaks, they will help you. You'll pay out the rear end, but they can and will find out that there was a mid-production change in august '72 and they changed R271 from 470 to 330 ohms, send it in, we'll get you fixed up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
*kramers thru door*

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
are you sure its not a camera mount lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005