Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I make quantum cascade lasers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

oh hello are we talking about III-Arsenides???

GaInAs is funny but most people use InGaAs.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody posted:

Are they meaningfully different? Idk poo poo about chemistry or detailed semiconductor physics I just like saying gay in rear end more than in gas

They are exactly the same thing written different ways. It's somewhat important to come to a consensus though because when you don't, literature search can be a real pain in the rear end. Unfortunately, that is essentially what happened. I'm working on a quaternary material so I have to search for a bunch of combinations. At least everyone agrees to put the group Vs at the end.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

a thread about using oscilloscopes: apply it to your nipples

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

scrub-tier voltmeters/multimeters are great. I like having some beaters around. I have a really nice Fluke that I love but it's nice having some cheapos you can abuse without a care.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

can't wait to get my Fruke

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Sweevo posted:

the $12 ebay "fluke" listing got closed and the seller banned. tons of people on other forums who were all "yeah it's probably a scam, but a $12 fluke? i'd be a fool not to buy 20 of them!" are suddenly wondering if they'll get their money back

ebay and paypal have strong guarantees

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

frukegate update:

ebay gave me my money back :)
they didn't give me a cheap fluke tho :(

they even did an expedited refund 'in light of the seller's recent activity'

What? I got my money back a couple of hours after the account was deleted.

Sweevo posted:

anyone who thought they were actually going to get a real fluke for $13 was an idiot

:downs: "yeah it's obviously a scam, but $13 fluke! poo poo i'd better order ten of them"

I think you already made this joke, but I don't remember anyone ordering ten of them.

Anyways, there are pricing mistakes or legit clearances all the time on the internet that people score great deals with. With ebay there was literally zero risk to try it, so why not?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody posted:

those are some expensive caps what are they

CDE Film Capacitors can't you read???

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Sedra/Smith was fine :colbert:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

If you have 8 bi-color (red/green) LEDs (and assume that yellow is off-limits because it's a cheap piece of poo poo from China and green is weaker than red so red+green=red) and you need to indicate a percentage change from, say, -3% to +3%, where -1%-+1% is the most common swing (think stock market) how would you do so?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody posted:

carefully

thank u sir

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody posted:

i would arrange them in a bar like thus
x x x x x x x x
and i would make the left four red only and the right four green only
i would indicate zero by turning nobody on
i would indicate +/-0.5% with the inner pair
from there i would go +/-1, +/-2, +/-3, turning on additional lights

that is way too coarse imo. I want it to be kinda like logarithmic so that everyday swings are noticeable

e: dunno if I can get yellow working. there is a resistor network I could potentially replace with some more sensible values but I am not sure that will happen

e: this is what I'm working with http://www.dx.com/p/8x-digital-tube-8x-key-8x-double-color-led-module-81873

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 7, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody posted:

project +/- 3.0 to +/- 255, display binary value in green > 0 in red <0

I have been avoiding this idea because the target audience won't understand it fully but I think it makes sense because even if you can't convert the binary back to decimal it still makes a fairly intuitive display

edit: actually it doesn't ugh.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

eschaton posted:

is this for bitcoins?

how dare you

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I decided on 0.1 0.25 0.33 0.5 0.75 1 2 3 because its very human readable that way

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

btw I think I raped my rpi gpio with 5v a bunch of times on accident but it liked it so no crime was committed

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

get over yourselves

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

never!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

guys please don't use the word "lovely" with respect to anything that isn't literally feces
also I'm super offended by being called terrible

this is a safe space and only good words can be used here

thanks in advance

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

yes you're right sorry I didn't mean to promote a hostile environment to raspberry pis

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I don't know how you think you can judge who I am because I said that I raped an electrical interface on a small computer. I think you have a lovely attitude.

But, in all honesty, I'm sorry for the derail (not for what I said). I didn't realize this was that kind of a thread, so I'll see myself out.

and this is somehow cool with you heroes, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I really do apologize, but put it in sh/sc if you don't want people to gently caress around. I don't think yospos should be too serious. Sorry, everyone.

• Locked thread