Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
people pay me to be an embedded software engineer which is cool, i like it. hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

logic analyzers and scopes each have their own distinct uses unless you get the really really expensive ones that have both a) not poo poo analogue capabilities and b) a whole shitload of channels

for a lot of stuff, a <$1000 tektronix and a <$100 saleae are pretty much all you need. logic analyzer for interchip comms and timing analysis so you know when your code is hosed up, scope for waveform analysis so you know when your electronics are hosed up. and then if you want to monitor your power usage in microamps during five different sleep modes, then, then you need big daddy scope (and current clamp)

(am i the only one who gets a little boner at the sight of the words 'current clamp')

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Bloody posted:

hahaha holy poo poo is this real

it's the same guy that did spacechem. this is kinda His Thing

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Bloody posted:

pyf terrible datasheets

working on bringing up some lcd panels with cap touch overlays in linux. our ee guys got a bunch from a bunch of different suppliers and sent them over with some datasheets. the best is one that just uses an atmel maxtouch. the worst are the ones that have no bookmarks in the pdf, just page numbers; have incredibly blurry scans of all timing diagrams; and the one that takes the cake is the one that gives a register layout for the cap touch controller and a linux driver that doesn't match the layout or even the part name, and googling finds another prerelease datasheet for the same part that doesn't match either of them.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

at work currently i'm writing code for some on board realtime coprocessors on a ti soc that runs linux on its main core. all the joys of a super limited environment and also no way to directly debug it with a jtag, as far as i can tell. cool

also what should i do with the random dev boards i've taken from work because nobody wanted them? i have one of atmel's cortex m boards, a newer launchpad, and an fpga.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

gonadic io posted:

I'm switching my code to properly use volatile read and writes, which correspond directly to the llvm instructions: http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#volatile-memory-accesses

But now I have an &= in my code. Do I just have to do a read and then a write? I suppose it's not a multithreaded env so that's not a worry, but I should make sure that interrupts are disabled for it?

depending on the register (more common for registers the designers think will be frequently twiddled) you may have strobe interfaces, where you have a SET register you can write to and it'll set any bit that was a 1 in the write to the set. so you don't have to read it

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Jesus Christ

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

gonadic io posted:

i see, it goes between 0 and 5 with all three pins connected.

with just the middle you have something that goes between x and y where 0 < x < y < 5 and they both depend on the exact resistors involved

well, it'd go 0 < y < 5 tbh. the circuit
pre:
    v0
     |
    R1
    ----- vout
    R2
     |
   gnd
is analyzed by noting that the current through there will be v0/(R1+R2) from ohm's law; and then saying that the voltage across R2, which is what you're measuring, will be that ((v0/(R1+R2)) * R2. in your setup, R1 is the internal pullup resistor. its value should be in the device datasheet for the chip the arduino uses. R2 would be the voltage between the pot wiper and ground, which will vary based on the position of the wiper. if the wiper is near one edge, that will be 0 resistance and you'll measure 0 voltage. at the other end, it will be the resistance of the potentiometer and you'll measure 5V * (pot resistance / (pot resistance + pullup)).

if you connect the potentiometer like the datasheet says, it's a slightly different situation because r1+r2 = some constant resistance always, so you can actually get all the way up to 5V as well as down to 0.

also like bloody says you may not be able to enable that pullup and the adc at the same time.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Jimmy Carter posted:

so is there a decent central resource for finding out about ICs are available on the market for a given task or is it just punching stuff into DigiKey and seeing what comes up? Someplace I can ask if I want, like, a non-poo poo boost converter that can handle like a third of an amp at 3.3v

https://octopart.com

unless you mean googling "stepper motor driver" and trying to find stepper motor drivers, in which case i recommend googling "stepper motor driver"

or, heck, post in this thread

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

yo should i buy the psoc 4 and 5 dev kits for 4 bux or tenbux

i am electronics moron and the graphical ide speaks to me

NO

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never forget this universal truth: every graphical design "helper" for embedded work is a pile of trash. on the particularly good ones they'll support ~90% of the chips capabilities and if you're lucky you'll be within that 90%, and it'll only be a mostly tedious and incredibly painful process that doesn't get you much over just configuring it yourself in code. on bad ones that only support ~80% or if your task requires something outside the supported set you're hosed because they're a) never set up to work in a modern programming environment with source control and automatic builders and b) often want to control everything and are tough to impossible to integrate your own code into.

i mean if it's for loving around sure it's $10, but psoc creator in particular is a callback to the bad old pre-cortex days of every arch requiring its own godawful vendor-"supported" toolchain. poster otto skorzeny used to rant all the time about this one in particular too

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

stmcubemx is a lot better than older kinetis poo poo (stay away from processor expert at any cost) but free scales modern approach that's basically a cmsis drop is fine, honestly

I'm stuck with MQXlite (their old licensed rtos) and processorexpert (their old graphical configurator that was built in to an eclipse distribution) and it's the worst thing in the world, it's actively hostile to collaboration and source control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

device tree is documented so poorly it's often more useful to go find the driver code and read it. that makes it actively worse than boardfiles because at least board files are in c not some hellspawn of an xml pile of trash

• Locked thread