Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

lmao yeah there’s a non-subtle difference between audio content which is rarely over 90 minutes (and is presented in multiple parts when it is) and video content over four hours

you’d have to be an absolute rube to believe that actual people would find conflating the two to be in any way persuasive or even cogent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Eh, most of the really long videos are just podcasts that want to monetize through YouTube. At most you're second-screening them or "watching" them in little bits and Youtube is like 75% good at remembering your spot. Not much different than a podcast. That said I haven't touched it, feel like I got the gist of it from seeing people talk about it and lol at a 4 hour video tearing down people that I didn't watch.

The main thing that was frustrating with Dave's plagiarism, especially when he was just lifting huge chunks, was that for most of them he probably could have just chucked the writer a few hundred and maybe a shoutout and been fine. Going off of memory but the one guy he lifted a whole article or two from implied he ended up paid and seemed happy enough with the outcome. And he spent so much time complaining about how hard the podcast was to research, and how much time it took and how if only the podcast made X dollars he'd hire somebody and yes the Patreon passed that goal but he still hadn't hired anybody.

Last Podcast on the Left does the same thing, but with books usually, and they've had no problem just doing a friendly shoutout to the author at the start of the podcast. At least a few of them have written in laughing about how their dry book diving into Tupac and Biggie just sold a hundred books out of nowhere and they just found out why. It really isn't that hard. Dave threw a huge hissy fit like people wanted "George Washington was the first president[1][2]" when it just needed a shoutout. Nobody's coming because they think Dave's a genius historian or god I hope they aren't.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hell, LPOTL even usually goes the extra mile and gives a heads up about potential authorial biases or reliability issues when they’re leading in with their sources.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

LonsomeSon posted:

I can’t imagine spending four hours watching one YouTube video about anything, that poo poo is absolutely loving bizarre.

You could just tell me “a guy from YouTube is bad” and I would believe you without evidence because I’ve seen YouTube content in the past.

4 hour dave baseball episode when???

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't know how you can listen to The Dollop and not assume Dave must be absolutely insufferable in any other format.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Eh, most of the really long videos are just podcasts that want to monetize through YouTube. At most you're second-screening them or "watching" them in little bits and Youtube is like 75% good at remembering your spot. Not much different than a podcast. That said I haven't touched it, feel like I got the gist of it from seeing people talk about it and lol at a 4 hour video tearing down people that I didn't watch.

The main thing that was frustrating with Dave's plagiarism, especially when he was just lifting huge chunks, was that for most of them he probably could have just chucked the writer a few hundred and maybe a shoutout and been fine. Going off of memory but the one guy he lifted a whole article or two from implied he ended up paid and seemed happy enough with the outcome. And he spent so much time complaining about how hard the podcast was to research, and how much time it took and how if only the podcast made X dollars he'd hire somebody and yes the Patreon passed that goal but he still hadn't hired anybody.

Last Podcast on the Left does the same thing, but with books usually, and they've had no problem just doing a friendly shoutout to the author at the start of the podcast. At least a few of them have written in laughing about how their dry book diving into Tupac and Biggie just sold a hundred books out of nowhere and they just found out why. It really isn't that hard. Dave threw a huge hissy fit like people wanted "George Washington was the first president[1][2]" when it just needed a shoutout. Nobody's coming because they think Dave's a genius historian or god I hope they aren't.

tl;dr

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MonsieurChoc posted:

Doomerism means being angry at injsutice, got it.

I think doomerism might be the like...3 years in the middle of hte trump presidency where dave spent a huge chunk of time on multiple pods talking about how people need to fight because it's over otherwise but also he was tryingto find some way to move out of the country.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm trying to remember how many years he was trying to do some kind of climate change group and then just gave up

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah the first time they mentioned that I thought “oh we’re actually going to listen to Gareth’s spirit break”

Nobody with power is going to do anything. The idea of trying to share and process climate grief was a good one but it would take the soul of a saint to be the focal point of such an international, perpetual wailing circle.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Doomers are real bad dudes someone should send those fuckers to Guantanamo bay for terrorism

Making me sad is terrorism

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, I sort of get people complaining about doomers because it's sort of inescapable now. Everyone around me from my therapist to my family to random on the internet keeps telling me "stop reading such depressing news" or "get off social media". Thing is, this is everywhere: whether I am reading news about video games, comedy podcasts, completely unrelated articles, etc, everyone will add something like "in our burning world" "in these challenging times", etc. Only recourse I have is to never look at a screen again, which I can't do because I work in software and lol if you think I am going to focus all my hobbies into loving exercise.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I get that, but enforcing false mandatory optimism on everyone isn't a solution either.

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 10, 2023

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I know. There's no easy solution for this, I'm afraid. Just yet another annoyance in hellworld.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I absolutely understand wanting to have entertainment which doesn’t remind you of the poo poo you’re trying to distract yourself from.

I just don’t think jokes and riffs about US history are going to consistently be able to deliver that even if one of the hosts isn’t gradually becoming the Podcast Joker because of the inexorable comparisons and relationships between the subject matter and the present, which is authentically bad and absolutely getting worse no matter what anyone posting in this thread can do.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm trying to remember how many years he was trying to do some kind of climate change group and then just gave up

His problem was the problem that the rest of us have

There is very little way for people on the street to have any input into the climate change conversation, and every way any of us can think to actually try and make a difference is institutionally gridlocked

And welp

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Normally I'm fine with Dave's refusal to figure out how to pronounce names before taping. But Jesus Christ every pained misutterance of Mosaddegh in the Operation Ajax episode was painful.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Snowy posted:

Somehow I can deal with long audio but four hours of video had better be something amazing

It's loving amazing

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
SoulCycle is some good ol'Dollop.
Just the stupidest people

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I had only ever heard the name before and nothing else. Shockingly that company has an extremely hosed up corporate culture.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had only ever heard the name before and nothing else. Shockingly that company has an extremely hosed up corporate culture.

Corporation, cult, tomatoh, tomahtoe.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The fact that it became an exclusive place for the rich and/or celebrities to go certainly contributed

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Fatshaming the people that have showed up to your exercise class is a level of cognitive dissonance I will never understand

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/ChadCampsey/status/1738916096625738098?s=20

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Froghammer posted:

Fatshaming the people that have showed up to your exercise class is a level of cognitive dissonance I will never understand

The american public has one true punching bag left and it is fat people

Fatphobia and being lovely to fat people unites all americans, even fat people themselves

Boy oh boy do people not like it when you point out their shittiness about fat people IRT things like trump or christie being fat or female celebrities daring to be a pound over their skeletal weight

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

“AI don’t gently caress up the hands”

“Got it, loving up a hand and a foot”

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

That's just how J-Town rolls, how else is he going to be able to walk on water than with multi-feet?!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Baseball episode, hell yeah!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It's a very good baseball episode.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
yeah i was pleasantly surprised to get a new dollop baseball ep.

about halfway in, great so far

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

What a loving story. Goddamn.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Just found this on the Dollop subreddit. It's an insanely detailed spreadsheet of every episode with tons of information. Length of episode, subject, location, how many animals die, which accents Gareth does, and much more. Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YOs_BkUstKW5fwVqpzZEGVwjvoC6kQ5zlIVqFijSBvc/edit#gid=1557090816

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Row 209 really pushing up the 'Animals Killed' average.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Binowru posted:

Just found this on the Dollop subreddit. It's an insanely detailed spreadsheet of every episode with tons of information. Length of episode, subject, location, how many animals die, which accents Gareth does, and much more. Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YOs_BkUstKW5fwVqpzZEGVwjvoC6kQ5zlIVqFijSBvc/edit#gid=1557090816

I'm gonna need columns that track whether Dave mentions anal or pronounces Massachusetts.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
this flopper episode is a great start, feels like a classic dollop story

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this flopper episode is a great start, feels like a classic dollop story

The well-used banana peel made me laugh. Just get a fresh banana, guy!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Just finished the ep. This one is was excellent and one of my favorites over the past couple years.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Binowru posted:

Yeah the Dollop subreddit released that to coincide with episode 500. It was really cool to watch get put together.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Lisa Frank this week, very excited to hear this madness.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Some good episodes lately. I kind of skipped over the elon musk episodes because frankly by the point I was sick of the guy!! also felt like a lot of episodes were getting bogged down by bits going on just way too long and it feels like they've cut back on that a little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Lisa Frank this week, very excited to hear this madness.

its a surprisingly familiar story and not in the ways you expect