Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

HolePisser1982 posted:

a podcast about murders seems kind of "niche" to me, but uh best of luck to them

They're the number 9 most popular podcast on iTunes right now, number one most popular on the comedy charts.

Keep on smuggin', dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

HolePisser1982 posted:

oh, the podcast sounds really good then

You can dismiss it all you want, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it/they doesn't need you to be a fan.

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but don't try to say that it's "too niche" or some poo poo.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The most horrifying thing about this new Dollop so far is that Dave uses a Zune.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Berkeloid posted:

I haven't heard the most recent episode yet, but I'm guessing he actually said Zoom.

I retract my horror. That makes a lot more sense.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

So I've been catching up to the most recent stuff and oh man that penguin murder episode was just something. Anyway I'd just like to mention that while I haven't noticed it much anymore, when they did ads and stuff for the mattresses and whatever back in the earlier episodes I liked that the dollop kept it all consolidated at the beginning. I mention this just because a podcast I liked to listen to recently changed so now only was there a huge block of ads before the podcast, but they took a mid-podcast break for more ads.

Most podcasts are doing that now. It's a bummer that they're turning ads into tv commercials, but it's not like there's a lot of money in podcasts otherwise. The other pay models are selling subscription podcasts or having a patreon, neither one is proven to work unless you already have a large fan base.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crisco Kid posted:

It's so incredibly frustrating to me, because when they're in Research Mode I'm spellbound. Then they go into Wacky Ethnic Voices that aren't really jokes and I get whiplash.

Any time Henry starts overacting and being an awful racist caricature or being really childishly sexually gross, Last Podcast is the loving pits. I think he got the message and is trying to tone that down, though.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I've only listened to a few episodes but it seems pretty uneven. The Menendez Brothers was fun and interesting but I couldn't finish the first Son of Sam ep. loving awful.

Basically Henry is either somewhat funny or the absolute worst part of the show. Gary blows him out of the loving water as a comedian who does funny voices when making fun of this stuff. Zebrowski is either doing bad racist voices(See: Leonard Lake and Henry Ng or the Son of Sam eps) or he's going Chris Farley crazy and ends up gabbling and stammering a lot as his voice tries to catch up to his mouth.

The Dollop does this stuff way better, though if you're a Murderino who digs serial killers and stuff, you don't have a huge amount of options. Either you have My Favorite Murder, which lots of people can't stand because Women, amirite?, Last Podcast, see above, or Thinking Sideways, which ends up just deciding on the most boring conclusion.

Edit: And my friend who is listening to every Dollop in a row is gonna be bummed when he gets to this episode. The episodes about cops being awful and getting away with it always make him have a bummer time. Ah, the '60s and '70s. What a fun time.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

I really, really hate it when people frame it like this and they always try to. I can't stand my favorite murder because it takes half the episode for the hosts to actually get on topic and even then they spend huge chunks of the remaining half digressing about inane poo poo like their parents and botox.

See, you're perfectly welcome to not like it. I was mostly trying to make with a joke on the comedy forums, and also leave a little gently caress you to the typical person who hates that podcast. And granted, they do digress for a while, but people tend to like it because it's funny. It's just that people who criticize the show always devolve into barely hidden misogynistic rants. But you seem ratio-

quote:

The fact that they have voices like a cat in heat is something I could ignore if they didn't go out of their way to be as intentionally aggravating as possible while joking about "lol we're such bitches, am i rite?". It's not that they're women. It's that they're kind of lovely, annoying people but there's only really two or three options if you a weirdo fascinated by murderers.

Ooooh. Almost got me.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lord Hydronium posted:

I forget the name, but I know exactly who you're talking about. It annoys the hell out of me too.

Also thanks for suggesting Last Podcast on the Left; I'm not into serial killer stuff, but conspiracy theories are extremely my jam, and the episodes I've listened to were hilarious and bizarre.

You might like "Stuff They Don't Want You To Know", "Thinking Sideways", "Generation Why" or "The Boogie Monster". The best of those four podcasts is Boogie Monster, two comedians who love conspiracy theories just drinking and talking about it. However, don't tell Nuebot, because they spend a good 40 minutes every episode talking about doing standup comedy, good food they've eaten, recipes, LA life, what it's like being on the road, or similar things. But all four of those podcasts hit conspiracy theories, weird events, and true crime stuff that isn't serial killer focused.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

dougdougdougdoug posted:

Zoom. It's a recording device many podcasters use.

Yeah. Don't triple post, we already covered that correction.

Berkeloid posted:

I haven't heard the most recent episode yet, but I'm guessing he actually said Zoom.

rotinaj posted:

I retract my horror. That makes a lot more sense.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dave is gonna get some great material in the next four years.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Seattle crowd is pretty terrible. They LOVE shouting poo poo out. This congressman Zioncheck is totally nuts, though. I wonder what happened to him to make him snap.

Edit: Dave gets into it at the end and it deflated the crowd like crazy, haha.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 28, 2016

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The dollop ep that just came out on the Oregon bird sanctuary is amazing. Some good punning, too.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The tank chase! That one's a lot of fun. And, yes, the Willie Dee, the Rube, and 172, the episode on America's Worst Lottery winner. Those are all funny, imo.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Bone Wars was really funny. And I love any of their takes on various secret societies like the KIan or the Bald Knobbers. Especially the Bald Knobbers, because they make fun of them so loving incessantly.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Probably skip "The Torture Psychologists" and the one about the Iraq war. Might be too soon for those, and they're also the "bad people get away with bad things" kind of episodes.

I can't loving figure out how to embed a tweet in this loving forum, but http://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/808086921876369408

The torture psychologist guy is hoping to be relevant again! Maybe Dave'll get to do a sequel Dollop, like the recent one on the Bundy family.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is there a thread for My Favorite Murder? I wanna complain about the guys who show up at the end of the latest episode

I've bitched on and off about the fellows from Last Podcast on the Left in the Informational podcast thread, but no, there's not one just for MFM or for LPotL.

And trust me, they weren't as bad in that episode as they have been. The one who sounds loud and fat really likes to do awful racial stereotype voices, like "me so solly" chinesey man for the episodes covering Leonard Lake and Charles Ng(Two awful serial killers) and a stereotypical neurotic Jewish guy who gabbles about "megoogah" and other made-up Yiddish sounding noises in the episodes covering the Son of Sam. He's way worse in some of their own episodes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Charles ng kinda sounded like that.

Yeah, I'm aware. That doesn't mean it's cool to spend two or three hours using that as an excuse to talk like Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Use whatever excuse you want, Zebrowski just likes doing voices that can easily be offensive because he likes to be faux-edgy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jet Jaguar posted:

"Can't we just go back to jetpack tomfoolery?" should some how make it into the opening theme.

I hope some enterprising soul will put together a new version of the theme. This one is from all episodes before like ep. 15! They've had gold since then that could really help express the Dollop.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh boy. Dave said on Twitter that the newest episode would be rough. And it's about Enron.

:getin:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
That guy did not have any idea how to Dollop properly until he relaxed thanks to talking about his weird quicksand kink. Apparently that's the magic trick. Talk about something that gets you goin'. Quicksand and Tonto.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

I thought he was really good and the best guest not named Wil Anderson.

Cool, I spent half the episode wondering when the guy was going to chill out and make jokes instead of just laughing at Gary.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Boston episode last night was really great, and Gareth went off on an extended tangent riff that went so long and so hard, he got a third Gary chant from us over it. Dude was on point last night. And I got a very pleasant hug from him when I bought a poster.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

PantsOptional posted:

Please tell me that I didn't miss an episode on the Molasses Flood.

I'm not sure what he'll title it, but it was about the 1919 Police Strike.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gibfender posted:

I've just bought the Dollop book, I'm not sure what I was expecting but I'm disappointed. Each story is just 4-5 pages and is reduced to just a factual recounting of the facts with the occasional isn't this poo poo so zany aside.

I can see why it would appeal to people who didn't know of the podcast but if you're a listener you can easily skip it.

I've seen this be the case with some other podcasts-into-books. Greg Proops' Smartest Book in the World was terrible for that. I'm good with having bought a poster and paying into Patreon.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dave's on a panel on Lovett or Leave It this week. Gareth was on last week. Gareth's was really funny, I haven't listened to Dave's, yet. LoLI is a panel show where they typically just make political jokes the whole episode, expect Dave to go fuckin' nuts if he's let off the leash.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I knew Uber was bad, but they are pure loving evil

Yup. The Uber episode has already been pulled from iTunes.

https://www.facebook.com/thedollop/posts/1423092457782603

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

JethroMcB posted:

Like all baseball-focused episodes, that is a great (albeit pretty drat depressing) installment, but my favorite part is at the beginning when Dave is running through young Glenn's accomplishments.

"He loved to make the other kids in his class laugh."
"Alright."
"He attended church six times a week; two choirs, served as an usher."
"Okay...?"
"He bathed two or three times a day, but never felt clean."
"Uhhh, well...huh.

Can we say right now, maybe we've hit our first flag?"

I love how Gareth has gotten more canny as the show has gone along towards the flags and towards the moment the story Dollops.

Also, his delight at the ending of the James Otis episode was wonderful.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Binowru posted:

So, I didn't realize our current opioid crisis could pretty much be traced back to one horrendous company. Now I don't know who's worse, Purdue or Uber. Goddamn.

Also, any other LA fans planning on going to the show on July 16th that Gareth mentioned?

It's not only one horrible company, just mostly them. A really lucky drug cartel also helped.

Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic is well worth the read.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does Patreon have a setting for campaigns where they turn off the thing that tells you how much they're making? The Dollop's one recently vanished, as far as I can tell. My other patreons all say how much they're pulling in, but the Dollop just says how many patrons.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
As a pissbaby who freaks the gently caress out and fills his diapers at the sound of heavy, nasal breathing, eating, lip-smacking and wet mouth noises during podcasts, this was actually fine. They did a good job alternating sound sources so it wasn't impossible to hear, Dave was fine, and Gareth hung tough. If anyone is worried it'll be painful, it's not really that bad.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I'm generally not someone who cares much about ads or nattering before getting into the meat of a show, but only getting around to starting 13 1/2 minutes in? Come the gently caress on Dollop, you're better than this.

He sold ads based on it being two dollops a week, and he had to explain why he's going down to one. Unless you want him to do a totally momentum-killing break in the middle to help cycle out these ads, settle down, Beavis

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Who the gently caress is complaining about that? I've never met an Irish person who wasn't chill as hell.

My favorite was the episode when Gary was doing an Irish accent for somebody and then found out he was Chinese, but he just continued with the Irish the whole way.

quote:

Yeah, sorry about the Irish accents guys but, like Gareth said, enough complaints from the Irish and it’s not longer fun for us.

From the dollop twitter, https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/910608206497325056

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

smidgeonnn posted:

So what could episode 300 be, besides Trump?

I'm betting either Blackwater/Qi/Erik Prince or climate change. He's been making vague mention that he's doing research on both topics for a while now.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

skull mask mcgee posted:

didn't someone post in this thread that dave was working on an erik prince episode? i hope that's still happening

He's made offhanded comments to doing research on Prince and Blackwater on Twitter when stories about that dude comes up. I'm expecting it to be ep. 300. That or climate change.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

He talks about it on his standup and Walking the Room, the precious podcast he did which is very hard to listen to unless you want to hear two people with barely contained hatred for each other interacting. His album is called Hothead for a reason

If I'm remembering correctly his dad was a verbally, emotionally, and possibly physically abusive paranoid wingnut who subscribed to basically any conspiracy theory that came around. It's probably why Daves best work is on a podcast about setting the record straight on what actually happened and how terrible white people are; his dad is, to hear him tell it, a racist
Possibly insane abusive piece of poo poo who is willing to believe anything as long as it paints Jews or black people as the culprit

Also, Dave's dad was a massive alcoholic who would never provide Dave with any positive reinforcement, and nothing but negative reinforcement. Which is why Dave explodes into the rage of a thousand suns when he is criticized. It's the main way he would self-sabotage, taking anything that wasn't just unconditional praise and blowing it up to become a reason to stop doing (X) thing that was going well. Hence why he is just now becoming a successful comedian, when he came up at the same time as Patton Oswalt, and should have begun sniffing success by the late '90s.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 12, 2017

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, Dave launched a Facebook group a little bit ago to no reaction whatsoever called "Plan It Change 10". He is very concerned about climate change, and feels that there has been too much bullshit and not enough movement on a worldwide threat. I agree with him, and am curious to see what he intends to do with his audience/reach.

Today, he posted this update.

quote:

So, I'm waiting until after the US midterms as not to get lost in a lot of stuff. I'm also posting the speech I gave at Hamer Hall at the end of the next episode, which will hopefully boost the number of people we get in here.

Then we'll start organizing the people we have here. And then we'll start talking and focusing.

And then we start fighting.

Anyone else actually interested in what this may be, or may never become?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven’t been listening much lately, my podcast consumption has dropped a lot. Is plan it change 10 going anywhere yet, or is it still Dave talking to a bunch of folks who agree about how bad stuff is and then nothing happens?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I only got halfway through the ep before I had to do other poo poo but it was great so far. The cheesedrunk dogs, the pirate barber surgeon, the dictionary of Mohawk sex words... I need to finish listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did Dave cover the whole “soylent was contaminated with nearly toxic levels of heavy metals during the early days due to bad sourcing of ingredients” aspect? I was waiting for that and I don’t think it came.