Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What episode was bro court? I wanna relisten to it and I can’t remember which one it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the reasons for people’s like of the Dollop and for Mystery Science Theatre 3000 is fairly similiar, and the people who hate both hate them for the same reasons. They don’t want the breakup of the ongoing narrative, even if it’s a bad narrative. I’ve heard the same thing about MST3K, that they’d hate to have people making jokes and interrupting the movie.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why can’t I find the dollop on the sea monkey guy, Harold braunhut? I’ve searched for Harold, sea, monkey, braunhut...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks. Coulda sworn I remembered Dave and Gareth laughing about it, but it was the BTB episode.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

loving what

the sea monkey dude

why's the sea monkey dude gotta hate black people, can anyone just be a normal person and make something neat

Good news, there’s an episode of a good, funny podcast you can listen to and find out why his life turned the way it did

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

Didn't they already do an episode about Lucy Parsons? Maybe I'm thinking of another podcast, or read a long form thing about her a while ago

Cool couple, though

E: No, it turns out it was an episode of Left Coast, which was a show where the lady who made Nyan Cat and a writer from Sponge Bob had episodes where someone literate about a particular leftist thing or person teaches them every week. The Spongebob guy posted a group photo with the Chapo Boys giving a thumbs up selfie against Bill Cosby's star on the "walk of fame" and he got kicked off the Hollywood DSA organisational committee and scrubbed all the episodes off the internet

I listened to at least one ep of left coast, that seems like a shame. I liked it some at the time. Was it worth listening to?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Dave is really high strung about this poo poo, and is selfdestructive in the worst way, as all well meaning ultra leftists seem to get when they really get frustrated about inability to effect meaningful change.

Speaking of, has Plan-it Change 20 actually done anything or has it just been Dave's way to complain that the world is gonna burn but not to give us any meaningful direction as his "followers"?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SalTheBard posted:

He talked about it a few episodes ago. Basically people promised him to do stuff and then never followed through and it just burned him out. He said if people want to continue that's fine

So, all nonspecific environmental activism since 1990 or so, got it

:smith:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The ice cream truck wars one was my favorite

That episode was loving amazing, I sought it out off your rec and it's really, really good. Thanks!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Where the hell did Garet get the word "anywhosesylby" instead of "anyways" from? I've never heard anyone say it but him.

I think it permuted over time into that, I remember him using anyhoo and the like early on.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

thotsky posted:

I would like a compilation of all the times Dave has said "your face!" to Gareth after some horrible reveal.

I would like a compilation of all the times Dave has told Gareth about some horrifying decision someone made based on what just happened, and Gareth then asks “why?”

That bit always kills me because Gareth has great timing with that

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

kater posted:

I'm on Seagal part 2 and gently caress why do I even know this gently caress's name he isn't even a Jean Claude Van Damme much less Stallone or Arnold.

Because Gary busey was really fun in under siege and seagal was also there

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The straw hat riot
The brooklyn bridge crushing
The trojan taco

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The Past Times is good but it's jarring how it was obviously recorded 1-2 years ago. Wonder why they held on to them so long.

Maybe they had been trying to launch it as its own podcast and it just wasn't taking?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gareth is gonna be touring half the midwest for the rest if the winter until like april, so maybe he wont be around for dave? Who lnows.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dave’s acquaintance

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

I am guessing that since this was recorded during lockdown, we are getting more "celebrity guests" than what we get on The Dollop. Everyone was looking for something to do.

This was recorded since richard belzer died on feb 19 2023

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Totally fair, i just happened to be listening to the episode in question while reading the thread and they mentioned belzer’s last words being “gently caress you, motherfucker”

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think my choice would be Satchel Paige

Ep 519, satchel paige and trujillo

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is Josh worth listening to much? I listened to a few audit episodes and the recent lever episode because i like Dave, but i am unsure just how much I like Josh’s opinions and way of speaking in a podcast

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zeniel posted:

I like Josh, he's got some great insights into show business and great stories about Harlen Ellison. But jeez does he repeat himself like he's going senile. If you binge episodes of the West Wing Thing, you'll find he'll tell the same anecdote multiple episodes in a row.

I wasnt sure if the podcast was skipping or something because yeah, he definitely repeated himself a shitload in the few episodes i have listened to

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Steamed vs raw is the big difference

Cooking clams, littlenecks, steamers, oysters, sure

Raw….. ehhhh

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mental organism designed only for bad tweets

MODOBT

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tex Avery posted:

^that was the surfer line that did me in

Karen Kilgariff has consistently brought amazing energy to the show every time she's on there. If Dave or Gareth had to step away from the show briefly (family emergency, need personal time for a week or two, et cetera), I'd immediately nominate Kilgariff to hold down the temporary opening if they wanted to keep the show going.

There is a reason my favorite murder became such a big podcast and it wasn’t just the true crime

It was also the hosts and their fantastic rapport and energy

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It’s also funny that her name sounds like she is murdering one of the hosts

His name is garfy, show some respect

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Binowru posted:

These two are the ones that I can't believe haven't been made into movies yet.

Maybe a major studio just doesn't want to make a film where the U.S. armed forces look stupid?

The military would not help them make it most likely, and that already sweeps the leg on a big source of budget. All pro-military movies get a bunch of funding and help making their movie from the armed forces.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can’t wait to hear the next recording session after tonight

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm trying to remember how many years he was trying to do some kind of climate change group and then just gave up

His problem was the problem that the rest of us have

There is very little way for people on the street to have any input into the climate change conversation, and every way any of us can think to actually try and make a difference is institutionally gridlocked

And welp

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Froghammer posted:

Fatshaming the people that have showed up to your exercise class is a level of cognitive dissonance I will never understand

The american public has one true punching bag left and it is fat people

Fatphobia and being lovely to fat people unites all americans, even fat people themselves

Boy oh boy do people not like it when you point out their shittiness about fat people IRT things like trump or christie being fat or female celebrities daring to be a pound over their skeletal weight

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fifty Farts posted:

Don't worry, Gareth gets one of his classic "recognizes the subject part way through the episode" moments.

I am amused that his kneejerk guess was my little pony

He was in the ballpark from the jump but didn’t quite have it nailed down

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Okuteru posted:

I don't even think Dave or Gareth are masking anymore or using Corsi cubes. They only talk about COVID in some tweets.

Anywho, latest episode is a bit personal. It's about a right wing psycho running for school board in Dave's son's district.

More people making GBS threads on Chris rufo is always a good thing

gently caress Chris rufo, that dude needs to be more well known as someone absolutely full of poo poo

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

planitchange10.com now redirects to exxon mobile's site

Dave has stared down the same problem that all of us environmentalists have had at some point

Where the gently caress do you start to even make a change? There are mega corporations happily venting hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of oil and fossil fuels as byproducts of their harvests, there are military motor pools and airliners that are kept running 24/7, burning more than entire cities’ worth of people’s yearly carbon footprint in just a long weekend, there are manufacturing facilities burning and venting all kinds of poo poo…

Government is unwilling or unable to help, anything beyond criminal vandalism is ignored and downplayed, criminal vandalism is ridiculed, almost all of the major environmental groups are toothless and hollow these days…

:smith: Dave never had an actionable idea, as far as I heard. That’s the stumbling block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

I've only been listening since September. why do they tour Australia so much

Dave is a bigger celebrity in Australia because he did a popular thing with a popular Australian comedian

That gave him more Australian numbers early and he leaned in