Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'd almost put money on more people thinking Franklin was a president than not. It's a very common misconception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I know an insane amount about Shawn Nelson, aka the San Diego Tank Man, plus a fair amount about a few of their topics. It always makes the Dollop so much more fun.

I was almost giddy hearing how Gary was going to react to some of the odder turns in Nelson's story.

I'm distantly related to a pro wrestler with Münchhausen's that I can't wait to refer to the boys. Just wanna do a bit more research on it before I send it in, because some of the weirder stories about him might be down to family history.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm not a huge audio dork or anything, but the two channel hiccup on the funeral home episode is making it very tough to listen to for some reason.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I thought Action Park was the safari place that shut down and left all the animals behind. Am I making that up? Is that a thing?

Those alpine slides are a loving nightmare. I shredded a good amount of flesh off of my left leg on one when I was like 12 or 13. No one really explained the whole braking mechanic to me before my first ride.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I finished up LAPD month a couple days ago and again the episodes about terrible, horrible stuff are the best episodes. Gary just being destroyed is an evil delight and listening to him going from lighthearted jokes to macabre, horrified jokes, to "I have nothing Dave. You broke me." is just such a twisted dark humor.

Youre gonna love the Omaha race riots episode, my friend.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

It's not so much that there are audio issues on so many of their episodes, it's that each one has a different audio issue. That's pretty amazing. The pregnancy one is unlistenable.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

toanoradian posted:

By the pregnancy one do you mean the 'Childbirth in America' episode? What's wrong with it?

The mix is way off. Dave is super low compared to Gary. I listen during my commute mostly, and it's extremely hard to hear when I'm on the highway.

I thought Dave's address was fine. He admitted to making a mistake, and he pointed out where he was in disagreement with the DI guy. I happen to disagree with his assessment, but he wasn't a passive aggressive little bitch about it like I thought he would be.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The radium girls are featured briefly in the David Hahn episode. I listened to that episode again fairly recently, and I forgot just how loving bananas it was.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

beats for junkies posted:

That's the kid who built a reactor in the potting shed, right?

I like that one a lot. Every time you think "somebody's gotta realize what this kid is doing and stop him," he goes and does something even more insane. Like building a nuclear loving reactor in his mom's potting shed.

That episode, more than any other Dollop, had me audibly saying "what?!" at every turn. The level of obsession from Hahn, and the sheer carelessness of every person who helped him, is absolutely astonishing.

If you're so inclined, there was a Coast to Coast AM caller named "Madman" Marcum who stole power transformers to build a time machine on his front porch that reminded me of Hahn. It's a good, fun piece of radio theater.

edit: Also, it's safe to assume Popobawa is still rear end raping guys in East Africa.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 26, 2015

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

That list of aliases made me think of old Batman and Superman comics when they would go incognito with truly awful names, like Matches Malone and Bundini Brown.

I had some small concern about the recent flap taking the wind out of DA's sails, bit I've really enjoyed their recent episodes, even the Lawsonomy episode. And the octopus wrestling episode may have sworn me off of getting octopus when I go out for sushi.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Have any of you listened to Point vs. Point? I'm downloading a bunch of episodes and I'm just curious what you all think.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Koburn posted:

It's great. Be aware that there are many running jokes so it benefits listening from the beginning.

Any Gary fans owe it to themselves to listen to Point vs Point. It's very schticky, with Gary playing a delusional right wing manchild, so if that sounds like a good time to you, it's damned funny.

It's always a good feeling to find an enjoyable podcast with a deep library.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

bababooey

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Whats really strange is that this duo is really funny and quick witted with some genuinely great comedic timing in the podcast, Gareth is a Wizard at accents, but when I try to watch their standup they're really bland and awful, especially Gareth. I guess this was their actual calling.

Jose is really stealing the show on the latest episode.

I've heard both Gareth and DA crack jokes about the quality of Gareth's standup, especially Gareth. It's not such a weird thing anymore, personalities shoring up their income by doing standup shows. Adam Carolla and Michael In Black come immediately to mind, and neither of them are very good.

I could see Gareth doing well on a panel type show, like QI or Never Mind the Buzzcocks. He's pretty hysterical on his other podcast.

e: Artie Lange was fantastic on the Stern show, but his standup... it's something different, that's for sure.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Nah, it's episode 4. Ghosts.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

In a really strange way, tony and the shotgun is probably one of the few truly 'feel good' stories to come out of the podcast.

I found the one about the weirdo obsessed with the Boston Marathon had some touching and even inspiring moments. Even the "villain" of the story ends up coming across as very likeable and sympathetic in the end.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

uPen posted:

A couple really horrible jokes but overall a really good episode.

I feel this applies to 90% of their output.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

I'll never get tired of the tales of nigh-unkillable Irishmen. there have got to be more stories out there.

Oh, ain't oi got a tharst.

Possibly my favorite episode, top three at the very least.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

inthesto posted:

Phantom of the Open is the rare feel-good episode.

The Boston Marathon episode, too. I actually teared up a bit at the end. Jacques wasn't a villain, he just loved the marathon SO loving MUCH and wanted to protect the integrity of it. He was loving nuts, for sure, but not the bad guy you were meant to think at the beginning. Gareth likes to ask who the hero of the story is, and there were, like, 5 of them.

I personally love the Shawn Nelson (aka The San Diego Tank Man) episode, but I've always had a bizarre affinity for that story, and it was just kind of fun listening to an episode and knowing pretty much every detail and wondering how Gareth was going to react.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I have a very strong dislike of ching-chong type schtick for reasons too dull to enumerate. Having said that there's something about Henry's Ng impression (ngpression?) that completely tickles me. This is problematic for an entirely different reason, because Ng is a monster, and there's something downright endearing about how he does the character.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Elitist Bitch posted:

All right, who caused Dave to finally go nuclear and protect his tweets?

Dave.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I think the reasons for people’s like of the Dollop and for Mystery Science Theatre 3000 is fairly similiar, and the people who hate both hate them for the same reasons. They don’t want the breakup of the ongoing narrative, even if it’s a bad narrative. I’ve heard the same thing about MST3K, that they’d hate to have people making jokes and interrupting the movie.

I showed my wife the MST3K Pod People episode about a hundred years ago. She said it was hard to get into the movie with the guy and the puppets talking over it. She's not a stupid woman by any means. Some people just don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I can't remember the dude's name, but the one where someone tries killing some Irish drunk for insurance was hilarious. Its killing me I can't think of it.

Ooooh, ain't I got a thirst...