Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

My ex-wife has family in Chico and, formerly, in Paradise, so PG&E Part 2 marks the first-ever Dollop where I've personally known people who were affected by the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A Dollop about baseball, especially in the latter half of the 20th century, or about boxing particularly in the latter half of the 19th century is always going to be a good time you have while listening to how someone had an extremely bad time.

e: I knew jack poo poo about baseball other than what I soaked up from Deep Space Nine trade paperbacks when I was a kid (a couple of authors really ran with the Sisko-likes-baseball thing), and generally knowing that it was from the mid-19th century and had a bunch of history and racism when I started listening to the Dollop, so every baseball episode is a fresh set of revelatory looks into a universe much like my own, but weirder.

Baseball is why I know they'll never run out of Dollops, they'll just hit a point where they have to decide whether they want to be about increasingly niche, batshit sports-history stories or move on to another remit.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 14, 2023

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Really?!?! That's it?

Knows-nothing-about-baseball question: if he had caught the ball, and then let it slip out of his glove afterward during that motion, would that somehow have not been an Out? Seems from the outside like the Out happens when the ball is caught, and the rest is just getting it back to the pitcher to decide whether he wants to throw it again or swap for a fresh one.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

My West Wing Thing complaint was that Dave was always so much quieter than Josh. I couldn't listen to it at work because what I do is Loud.

Since I'm already posting, I've also found Gareth's travel audio a lot rougher than usual.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

:wtc:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The entire West Wing Thing has hosed-up volume balancing, to the point where I was sometimes adjusting the volume depending on who was speaking. The Audit is several steps up from that!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Baseball Judge needs to be the new spinoff of The Cofishioner

Baseball Judge vs Bro Court: whoever wins, we lose

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

J-Town is the best too-long-running bit they’ve had in a hot minute

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Dollop: Revolutions?!?!?! :getin:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’ve got podcast dread from how Dave told Gareth that they haven’t seen oyster mania yet, combined with the fact that we got the nutshell history of a relatively prosperous settlement of Black people on Staten Island, whose white neighbors are more or less fine with them and then jumped away.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

There’s a place in the touristy area of a harbor town close-ish to me, and their fried oysters are really good. I get ‘em in a plate which is fish and chips with fried oysters, there’s two really big ones plus the regular seafood-shack fare and that’s as much as I’ll ever need.

Raw loving oysters, what the gently caress.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

1) lmao that’s going to be great

2) deeply relieved to have finished Oysters without having revisited that Staten Island community for an oyster-related race riot

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Of episodes not listed I am a fan of the Willie Dee and The Newport Sex Scandal and Satchel Paige and Trujillo is an awesome baseball episode

e: episode 8, The Dolphin. Incredible, on the same level as The Rube and Ten Cent Beer Night imo. It has the flavor of Gareth breaking down under the weight of the story, but it’s only him being flabbergasted at the escalations not anything soul-crushing.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 1, 2023

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The Bonesetter episode from the England miniseries is also fantastic. Basically The Dollop England has zero duds and is mostly bangers.

One of them has one of my favorite Dollop riff scenarios, where dudes in an ice cream van pull up next to another one to chase them off of the first one’s turf, and do it by playing The Entertainer but with malice.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’ve fired a torpedo away from the thread, and am posting in full reverse

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Oh my loving god, when I read Machine in the title it didn’t prepare me for this to be a real-life version of a Church of the Broken God SCP

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

lmao it loving is a Broken God SCP, I wonder if the originating author got the idea for them from this

I’m just over halfway done but they’re building their loving hair into the thing, it’s only one step further to be building their flesh and bone in as well

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I can’t imagine spending four hours watching one YouTube video about anything, that poo poo is absolutely loving bizarre.

You could just tell me “a guy from YouTube is bad” and I would believe you without evidence because I’ve seen YouTube content in the past.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

lmao yeah there’s a non-subtle difference between audio content which is rarely over 90 minutes (and is presented in multiple parts when it is) and video content over four hours

you’d have to be an absolute rube to believe that actual people would find conflating the two to be in any way persuasive or even cogent

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah the first time they mentioned that I thought “oh we’re actually going to listen to Gareth’s spirit break”

Nobody with power is going to do anything. The idea of trying to share and process climate grief was a good one but it would take the soul of a saint to be the focal point of such an international, perpetual wailing circle.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I absolutely understand wanting to have entertainment which doesn’t remind you of the poo poo you’re trying to distract yourself from.

I just don’t think jokes and riffs about US history are going to consistently be able to deliver that even if one of the hosts isn’t gradually becoming the Podcast Joker because of the inexorable comparisons and relationships between the subject matter and the present, which is authentically bad and absolutely getting worse no matter what anyone posting in this thread can do.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

That's just how J-Town rolls, how else is he going to be able to walk on water than with multi-feet?!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

What a loving story. Goddamn.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I had absolutely no idea about any of that poo poo. I’m not shocked that making Lisa Frank merch was nightmarish but what a ride the rest of it was!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I wouldn’t have taken many pictures either if my body was always trying to escape my head (wtf is that stance, is one of the only pictures of her to get out somehow an awkward motion shot?)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah nothing ever got nailed down but one of the things he talked about was to try and create places where people could even just talk to each about fear and grief around oncoming biosphere collapse without worrying about getting argued with, or spilling baggage onto the un- or semi- willing.

But a community based around just fear and/or grief isn’t self-sustaining, and I don’t know if anyone has ever lived who could be a prime mover for such a group, even for a few months much less indefinitely.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Okuteru posted:

The biosphere thread in the CSPAM subforum is still around, but it is a soul crushing read.

Yeah that has the “open discussion” part but the idea was to mitigate the burden of trauma instead of add to it like that thread

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Whenever the Fenians show up it’s going to be a good time for sure, even if they’re only in one part. Very much a Dumbest Guys You Know Have A Good Cause situation.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Most of the Australian episodes are solid, and a lot of them are great.

Sometimes when I’m alone and doing some physical task I’ll say “D!!!” to myself when I’m exerting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’m no John Dore but I would not be impressed by the poo poo knife story.