Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
tons of cool magic tricks in this new ep! highly recommended.

Oh Father O'Brien!

Gross, smelly ham!

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Twitter, I'd assume, I've gotten responses from them about stuff on there so I wouldn't be surprised if people tweet at them suggesting poo poo. Citizen Genet would definitely be amusing, Mike Duncan did a nice ep in the Revolutions podcast on that affair.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm just loving the preponderance of Irishmen in a lot of the eps lately. Never gonna get tired of those accents.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Blah here I thought people made a bunch of posts discussing some cool poo poo happening in new eps but it's just...this
I really couldn't care less, I always assumed Dave was just straight up reading Wikipedia or something anyway, it was always more about the comedy format (Gary reacting to things being read by Dave) than their historical research or integrity or whatever
I mean it is careless though, I could take ten minutes and script some spiel up based on a random historical event described via wiki/somethingawful/reddit/damninteresting/whatever bullshit and just slightly reword it to avoid some internet beef
I mean, it's the events and Gary reacting to them that's funny, the specific way it's written/research is irrelevant. Damninteresting isn't in any way responsible for any of the entertainment factor of the podcast, just Dave being lazy/dumb I guess. You just tell the story of the Killdozer after browsing various internet pages about it. Did Dave never turn in a college essay or something?

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 10, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I haven't caught up so I'ma be pretty bummed if some new poo poo gets taken down before I manage a listen. :argh: I can't even guess what Mussolini and meatballs was worked into but as long as it has a goofy slightly offensive accent I'm onboard (we need more Irishmen involved though, more more more)

Honestly they're only cringeworthy/skippable for me when they try to get too serious ala the Ferguson ep. I mean, I know you mean well Dave, but I'm not turning to you guys to hear the important matters of the day discussed. Luckily the LAPD series toed the line between hilarity and A Very Special Episode.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 10, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You don't even need to hire a dude for research, just skim a couple internet pages about a historical event and then just retell it to Gary. Literally using the exact same words is just pointless and dumb

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I mean, I certainly don't care. Damninteresting (which I hadn't even heard of prior to this) doesn't fill the same niche for me and discovering the Dollop i was pretty overjoyed to find a new podcast as my current fave podcast. I'd be pretty bummed if that died, the format is still perfect for me and despite people saying the writing he stole was perfect and well written, I didn't really get hooked by the strength of the written historical account. I always just figured he had some rephrased notes or some wiki he was reading off of. Honestly though, the dude could just stick links somewhere in a perfunctory way (no one would ever see em anyway) instead of reddit raging.
Dave's definitely been a lame rear end in a top hat but I expected that when I started listening to a comedy podcast hosted by standup comedians.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I mean it was always obvious to me he was reading something, I didn't come into the podcast struck by Dave's intelligence and research skills. Like I said I always just figured he was paraphrasing a wiki page he glanced over or something

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You should tweet Dave telling him that :getin:
Also can we confirm (y)(n) the plagariastic content of Reverse Dollop? Retribution is coming for you Gaaaaaaaaary

(And so it was foretold the greatest episode of the Dollop was...the one about the Dollop)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 11, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Good thing I came into this podcast not thinking anything of Dave to begin with

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are you out there Dave
Are you reading this right now???

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeahhhh, I don't think there's a single podcast series (even Uhh Yeah Dude) where live episodes aren't usually way lamer than normal episodes. Still, I've enjoyed the normal eps lately, it was pretty hilariously horrifying learning for the first time that our first (????) president was murdered by a cabal of incompetent doctors.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I mean, I'm definitely down to try hippo jerky at least. It's just that it sounds like a crude sex act when you order it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I'm surprised people liked Dave Anthony coming in. :lol: Hasn't really affected my enjoying the Dollop at all, I never bother with standup comedian podcasts because they're all usually super contrived/forced-humor and usually full of L.A. standup douchebags so coming in I figured the guy from WTR which I never found remotely funny was probably lame, but the Dollop's a really entertaining history podcast. You don't listen to the Dollop because the hosts are intelligent or usually correct in their thoughts, that's definitely a quality of many podcasts but especially so with this one where part of the enjoyment is them being surprised/horrified by history facts.
I guess some people operate differently, but the way it works for me is that audio files arrive in my iTunes and I listen to them, I could care less if the guy creating the audio files is a dick to people on Facebook or to some site I never paid attention to. :shrug: As long as the audio files are still entertaining.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think part of the reason I dislike live podcast episodes in general are the members of the podcast usually trying too hard to "perform" and it's kind of even worse when you've got a podcast with (god forbid) standup comedians. Too many tryhard zinger attempts whereas it's a bit more comfortable and natural when not in front of an audience. They all just go wacky wacky loud hyper energetic joke-guns blazing at any and every opportunity and Gary's barely paying attention to things for the sake of comedy performance "No no no no no now they're ripping fingers off!!!!111" he just lanced it dude...

(that ep got a lot better as it went along though, liked the part where the dudes ate dogs until their dicks fell apart though :lol: )

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 23, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probably hid it with the baggy of cocaine in there

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
nvm

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 1, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
catching up with the Dollop, still haven't listened to all the live eps since I'm not as much of a fan of live eps but the other episodes seem pretty cool so far. It's just too bad the Dollop guys are such conventional LA standup guys cuz at the end of the day some of their comedic podcast riffs are more likely to hit a dead end while they exercise some cliche like "RETARDED GUY VOICE LOL" or "MIKE TYSON VOICE", etc. Lot more misses than most of the humor podcasts I usually tolerate, but still decent.

Loved the Scotsman on America schtick though, Gary's definitely read Trainspotting, they need to do a Scottish American history episode.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 14, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I honestly generally can't stand standup comedian podcasts (I guess the Bone Zone was my exception for a while, but for humor I'd rather go in the UYD/MBMBAM direction) they generally just seen kinda try hard or conventional with their humor and vibes, like there's no way I'd be listening to Dave and Gary doing a straight up non-historical comedy podcast but I guess that why I like the Dollop.

p.s. I would definitely support a Boardwalk Empire style HBO drama about america's hate/love affair with straw hats. Also the Bald Knobbers. FINGER SHOOTERS, GO!

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 16, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:lol: once I got to Ron Paul's (alleged ;)) involvement in this ep

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The weird thing about the Dollop is it's more of a history podcast for me than a comedy podcast. Like, I enjoy Dave and Gary, but they're not really like, stunningly amazing comedians I've realized over the duration of this show (which I do love). I mean they're okay, they're not the type of humorists I'd normally be listening to on a podcast. They just kind of do these clunky jokes about retarded people and the Irish and sometimes funny accents, very VERY basic poo poo, it's just that the premise of the show and the historical stories are just so great that it carries (sometimes) average to mediocre banter. I mean don't get me wrong, when it hits it hits, Dave and Gary have had me roaring in laughter before, but often I'm just like silently processing a failed meandering jokey joke of theirs and waiting for them to get back into the story.

Which is why I'm glad when it's a story I'd never even heard of like the Bayou of Pigs and a lot of other eps and less thrilled when it's like "Oh, Phineas Gage. Okay. Yeah, that's like all over the internet man." I'll check it out eventually.

I will say a great exception for me was the Toxic Woman of Riverside, because while that's a tale that gets passed around the internet a lot, I hadn't been paying attention to it "recently" enough to have heard any of those crazy hosed up theories/conclusions about what caused it and holy poo poo. :smithicide: It's great when it's a familiar story but with some new development you hadn't heard of.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 10, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That episode just made me wanna go to a Sears-Atari coke party. :(

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It was okay enough for a Reverse Dollop but the fact that Dave even knew of the potential existence of a videogame landfill is already knowing too much info about the story for me. People doing cocaine in the 80s is funny, not surprising, the E.T. Landfill had to be the surprise punch to the story.
drat though when he was describing Videogame Frustration in a Preinternet World it sure was spooky. I'm always tabbing out and being like "What/Where the gently caress is the tiny thing I need to click on so I can get out of this goddamn room????", I can't imagine the horror

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Welp you wouldn't ever catch me listening to Stop Podcasting Yourself (or basically anything on MaxFun not involving the McElroys, and honestly I'm like five eps behind on all of their series so I might even be out of that phase) but hopefully they make good guests...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

rotinaj posted:

I was going to defend Maximum Fun, but then I looked at the roster, and said "Well, I like the IDEA of some of these podcasts, but don't actually listen to any of them".
This may be hosed up to say but as a whole the network is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too white and twee for me, that poo poo is like toxin to my molecules.

Decent ep though, anyway.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Never heard of the dude but he looks like the type who should have been nipped in the bud by school bullying decades ago
Disappointed in our school system tbh

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Piquai Souban posted:

Gary says:
Hey dollop fans, fear not, all will be back in a week or two. Podcasts will still be out. DA is just laying low for a week.
https://twitter.com/reynoldsgareth/status/683738946317062144
:lol: I get that Cumia is an ugly poo poo who should have been aborted or properly loved (one or the other) but I still can't help but find the idea of DA in twitter hiding (while Gary passes along communiques) hilarious
dude can't dish it or take it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They should do a Dollop about Toni Ingram :lol:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Holy poo poo they have a statue of this guy, what the gently caress, he's a hero to so many people still. There are still like 70% supportive comments in the articles about him
gently caress Phillie, dude was a crook and a thug

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, it's a real shame they didn't have Patton Oswald like they were originally supposed to. Was there ever an actual explanation given as to why he had to back out?
I'd guess some really bad tacos probably, something like that. Maybe he ate too much deli meat the night before.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
White Americans=enraged apes in this, drat

It really is unsettling how casually acceptable and mainstream lynching culture was in America. I keep picturing those photos of smiling white Americans of all age/gender in front of lynched African Americans.
In this case, obviously these guys were murderous kidnappers, not just people just seen as having been born with the wrong skin color, but still...that was hosed up. The bloodthirst. The whoops. The smalltown community festival of it. Mutilation by isolated weirdos with verbal approval from the crowd. The seventeen year old. Reminds me of "The Lottery".
I know this is silly, but it really makes me wonder: "How many steps to the right could it take for America to awaken that spirit within itself again?" A ton? Less than I'd think. I don't like to think about it.

Respect to the cops in the station for fighting to the last man though, I guess.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
RIP, Governor Lynch. RIP O.G. Macaulay Culkin

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I don't expect Dave or Gary to be particularly smart or well versed in history but even as a big fan I do have to say there are a lot of annoying moments where they just like, coooompletely misinterpret/misunderstand a thing they just read. It's hard to come up with examples off the top of my head but it feels like every other ep they'll just not get a thing they read out loud and then just go on a misguided riff on it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
We are an enormous army of invalids
and what we need is coca wine

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm never jumping out of a burning building now, I might get tuberculosis on the way down :ohdear:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not a nail! Sir?? I am not a nail!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked how confused Gary was by charity.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm glad Dave knows some of us would support him living next to a hobo fire though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
is this a good ep cuz it feels like whenever they're live they just get way too tryhard and have even more flubbed joke attempts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, a lot of the "crazy/racist poo poo in the 1800s" episodes kind of blend together after a while so it was nice to get a change of pace like that.