Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Stroker Ace posted:

I think I've listened to the Jack Parsons episode 3 times now and I don't know if I've ever listened to a podcast more than once other than that. My favorite thing about the Dollop is when you think you've reached peak insanity with the story only to find out that there's like an hour left.

Haha. Wait, that wasn't crazy enough for you? Ok, let's introduce L. Ron Hubbard into the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Toxxupation posted:

Clifford Clinton is maybe my favorite human being that I've ever heard of and that postscript to his life was maybe the single best moment of the podcast, especially Gareths reaction

Just

Just my most favorite thing

It was a nice inversion of the implacable descent into absurdity and despair that occurs in most of the episodes.

With lube.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Forewarned is forearmed, gentlemen. The scouting missions will continue. We must continue to suck and to gently caress until the homo threat is eradicated.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I always thought 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia' was a comedy show, but now I know that it is an accurate portrayal of white folks from Philly. You get an entire stadium of people like that together, of course those things happen.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
The Owen Kildare ep is such a ridiculous emotional rollercoaster that I feel like "Owen" may have embellished the details of his life. But I hope it's true!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Right now I am imagining the beautiful golden society I'd be living in now if we had somehow domesticated and farmed for their flesh the mighty hippopotamus. I'd be a better man for sure.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Some of the most memorable stories from UYD focus on Jonathan's misadventures. He is a man at peace with the fact that he has been, at times, a bit of a gently caress-up.

Dave...maybe not so much.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Al-Saqr posted:

In a really strange way, tony and the shotgun is probably one of the few truly 'feel good' stories to come out of the podcast.

They did a series of eps about the Los Angeles PD early on, and one of those (#2: James Davis Years)had a genuinely decent guy in conflict with some real scumbags, with a bonkers coda to the whole story for a perfect finish.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Lord Hydronium posted:

I think it was LAPD 2 that had the soup kitchen guy.

yeah, that's the one. it was the James Davis LAPD ep. you're sort of remembering it wrong tho. he was an ultra Christian dude who was cheating on his wife with a massage therapist/sex worker, and he was so conflicted about it he tried to commit suicide. he survived and then his wife agreed to an open marriage, and then he bankrolled a sex lube business run by his side girl. and this is just the closing chapter to an epic tale of police corruption being brought to heel by a litigious christian cafeteria baron.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I think he was just reciting text from sites on the cast without mentioning his sources. one of them found out about it and called him out.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm a little surprised neither of them happened to know the word for "thing you put on an ox to attach a plow to it." I didn't think a yoke was that obscure.

it's the running theme of the podcast that these dudes don't know a lot of words and the words they do know they don't know how to pronounce. add another word to the list.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
ep 40, the James Davis years.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Michael Malloy the Superhuman Hobo. an amazing tale, that one.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
If we're lucky, Trump will usher in a grand renaissance of Bush-era psychopaths. James Mitchell, John Bolton, who knows who else might show up to the party?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I'll never get tired of the tales of nigh-unkillable Irishmen. there have got to be more stories out there.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

SalTheBard posted:

episodes where a guy sounds almost mythical (Caning of Sumner and Broderick Terry Duel).

have you listened to the Michael Malloy ep yet?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Piquai Souban posted:

Didn’t Greg start taking his dog’s Xanax and almost die because it is tuned for canine metabolism?

yeah, he got real hosed up on dog pills. as distant as I am from it, it's just hilarious. not so much for Greg and those close to him, I guess.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ppz3dh/stand-up-greg-behrendt--dog-pills---uncensored

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I listened to this show a lot when it first started but I kinda dipped out for a bit. anyone want to suggest a few more recent episodes of quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ariong posted:

I get the sense that Gareth didn’t think Colonel Sanders was a real person.

well I dunno, it's easy to assume. Ronald McDonald wasn't a real-rear end clown who ran a burger joint. the Burger King never wore the crown.

the real Sanders is sort of a human cartoon, tbf.