Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Jesus Christ, Mike Hindmarsh, the retired Australian general-cum-mercenary butcher in command of making Yemeni children poo poo themselves to death mid starvation is a Prince hire :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

oh dope posted:

I found this last episode fascinating. It's some atrocious poo poo, but it's made me very curious about war profiteering and mercenaries throughout history. I'm no historian :dancarlin: but I always thought this stuff was more or less par for the course. Are there any podcasts that go more in depth about this subject in a historical sense?

Jeremy Scahill, who they brought up a couple times as one of the few journalists who talks about American mercenaries has a podcast called Intercepted which is very good

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 28, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Citations Needed by Adam Johnson and Nima Shirazi is also good and dope analysis of the American war propaganda mill

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Have they ever covered the Haymarket massacre? And the anarchist who loved explosives so much he blew himself up while in prison? I really want to hear Gareth react to that.

How would you feel about ... TWO GARRIES AND MATT FROM CHAPO TALKING ABOUT IT WHILE INSANELY HIGH?

https://player.fm/series/left-coast-1528758/e007-louis-linggs-exploding-head

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 1, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Okay, I usually don't get the running joke of incorrect pronunciations when it's a single vowel in a Western Australian town name. But these were especially bad:
Abu Dhabi (Ah-boo Dah-bee)
Uighur (We-ger)
Seychelles (Say-shells)

Daavh ... Ant Honey

[crowd boos]

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Didn't they already do an episode about Lucy Parsons? Maybe I'm thinking of another podcast, or read a long form thing about her a while ago

Cool couple, though

E: No, it turns out it was an episode of Left Coast, which was a show where the lady who made Nyan Cat and a writer from Sponge Bob had episodes where someone literate about a particular leftist thing or person teaches them every week. The Spongebob guy posted a group photo with the Chapo Boys giving a thumbs up selfie against Bill Cosby's star on the "walk of fame" and he got kicked off the Hollywood DSA organisational committee and scrubbed all the episodes off the internet

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 3, 2020

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

beats for junkies posted:

I like The Tichborne Situation a lot. Just a crazy story with plenty of room for jokes. Also, TRUTH BUTTS!

Similarly, the Fine Cotton Scandal (124) is another good Wil Anderson episode. The Egg Nog Riot (96) is also pretty fun (no Wil Anderson though), and it's seasonal to boot!

Also, this. If they'd had someone else, or no guest, it would have been even more difficult to make it through. Gareth needs someone besides Dave to play off of sometimes, and he and Wil are good together.

I never really liked Wil Anderson because he was always a prominent part of the Melbourne Comedy festival and hosted Just For Laughs on TV when I was growing up. He's like an institutional comedian like Seinfeld or conan and you get bored with those guys. But I love him on the dollop

Also I was at a bar like eight years ago and he just yelled out "OI, IS ANYONE SELLING SPEED" which was also very ingratiating

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 6, 2021

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

The Peccadillo posted:

Didn't they already do an episode about Lucy Parsons? Maybe I'm thinking of another podcast, or read a long form thing about her a while ago

Cool couple, though

E: No

E: yes

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Episode 17 of the law podcast ALAB is about the plot to kidnap the Governor of Michigan, and it is a Dollop style comedy of errors plot, highly recommend

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Gertrude Perkins posted:

What episode is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZGE4tVdsOk

Gough had kind of a Barry Bostwick in Spin City energy

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 22, 2022

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

kater posted:

So like do the rocket packs work? That seems kinda cool….

There are a bunch of them that work but they all seem insanely unsafe

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

This is now the jetpack thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plIFUQ5BeqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtvCnZqZnxc

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 8, 2022

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Will Anderson said that Water Rats was on for five years but I feel like it was on for more like ten

Also no clue why the theme was jazzy and cool, they were boat cops, that's not cool and the show sucked a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtY5-qNnVbM

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Josh Olson had a pretty good podcast called Movies That Made Me he hosted with Joe Dante. Cool show with interesting people about movies they grew up on, dollop guys were on it once, chapo dudes too. There's an episode where William Friedkin is on and starts a tirade about how Trump is the most maligned president since Lincon, which is very funny

He does the same thing on it, this guy has like four loving thoughts in his head and one of them won an Oscar

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 18, 2023

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Only reason I never checked that podcast is because I saw he got known murderer John Landis on at some point.

I remember that, I am pretty sure they don't bring it up

I looked at my feed and it seems like they haven't made one since September, which makes sense because Olsen is doing a bunch of projects and Dante is almost eighty so why would you spend a second of that time on making a podcast

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Only reason I never checked that podcast is because I saw he got known murderer John Landis on at some point.

Murder's the right word, dude knew exactly what he was doing and how hosed it could go, threatened to fire and blackball people who piped up about it and hid the kids whenever external concerns were raised. And then promoted the movie as a lasting testament to the two kids at their memorial service

Interesting man!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

My brother's friend owns an oyster farm, he'd usually have a bunch whenever I went to his place. I love those slimy fucks

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 7, 2023

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

poo poo knife in the latest episode of These Times was definitely one of those things that someone saw on the internet and pretended it happened to 'em, to impress Jon Dore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I just learned about a story that'd be great for Gareth flipping his lid in the home stretch

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campden_Wonder

How good of friends Gareth and Pam are is a fun contrast to Dave stomping the floor and being all "YOU HEAR ME DOWN THERE OLD MAN"