Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
They really need to do a dollop on podcast ads in the late 2000s so they can make comparisons to today's podcasts that still have ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

So I started listening to the podcast like a month ago so i'm picking and choosing ones that look interesting from what I do and don't know and I will say I think this podcast really does best explain the south and how the gently caress it's so the south.

No sense of why California is the way it is though funnily enough. the 49ers were allllllllllll hosed up.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

Tell us which ones you like and we will tell you other ones that sound boring but are actually amazing like, hm. The dark secret of swimming pools.

Really I want to know what the gently caress is the deal with penguins, and did they ever do a hat podcast?

Also I think the winner for most mundane/insane one for me was the balloon fest it was just so :stare: on all levels.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Ok they clubbed an entire island of seals that's pretty bad, but what does this have to do with penguins?

OK but what about the rats from earlier?

OK BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CATS?!?

OHHHH GOOD YOU GOT RID OF THE CATS NICE JOB WELL DONE ENJOY YOUR DISEASED RABBIT HELL ISLAND

Also it was a live Dollop, which makes Dave a special kind of monster.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 12, 2018

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I went to the Denver show and it was pretty fun. Live Dave is so much quieter and better.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Rodyle posted:

Lol Dave's fury at people skipping the insane ads.

The larger point was don't write the time in the comments in which to start the podcast...

TO BE FAIR

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

That's one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Also I just heard "BAYER, IT"S BAYER NOT BEAR WE"RE TALKING ABOUT BAYER THIS ENTIRE TIME?!"

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Their bit is always to make jokes in the times of the joke. What's different with this one than every one they do on race? I'm black so I kind of get what people are saying but then again I don't? Can someone explain it in those terms?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Fair, though I could also see them just loving up a bit trying to be funny to a love audience. I'm much more forgiving though so I can see both sides.

In before Trump

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I would have never heard of it if they didbt bring it up so

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

The stonewall riots aren't exactly minutae

I'm not listening to this podcast because I know exactly what the topic is about?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

They don't get 'awareness' points or whatever for their shoddy handling of a fairly widely known event. Really if Dave hadn't just thrown a fit about it and let the apology stand it would have been fine.

You're a bit all over the place so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue so I'll just quote the problem and solution.

Serf posted:

classic dave losing it over criticism. i dunno why the response can't be "sorry we hosed up, we'll do better in the future"

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Someone said

oh dope posted:

I'm a cis white dude so what do I know, but is this an example of a topic they should maybe steer clear of? It seems like it's kinda hard to land jokes about a subject that you can't really relate to. Are there subjects Dave has explicit stated he won't touch, other than serial killers?

Then someone else said

Scudworth posted:

LGBTQ history is ignored and erased by mainstream sources all the time, so they should cover it but with the understanding that they will gently caress up sometimes.

Then I said

Veskit posted:

I would have never heard of it if they didbt bring it up so

To sum it up, someone asked if they shouldn't cover topics like this, then someone else said they get ignored and covered up all the time so they should cover it, then I said I didn't know about it. I'm not defending the episode because I didn't know the subject matter. I'm saying they should probably still do these kinds of episode, and honestly they should gently caress up like they did now. Probably should learn how to apologize though.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

It would also help if maybe they had one or two guest comedians from the LGBQT+ community on episodes regarding LGBQT+ subjects and stories. It may make their schedule harder, but it would just be overall better.

Damned if you do damned if you dont though. You either find a LGBQT person who knows about the topic (boring), OR You find someone who doesn't, and they look like an rear end in a top hat for not knowing the history of it. I wouldn't want to be on a podcast and NOT KNOW poo poo about fred hampton. As a proud black man... God that'd be awful.

fool_of_sound posted:

Ok, I misunderstood your intent, sorry.

No worries friend and thank you

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

There's a lot to unravel with the whole financial crash, what a derivative is and how sub prime mortages tanked an entire economy also how businesses had zero risk in it all but hey if you guys have questions I can give a solid explanation i know the stuff well(s fargo) enough.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

New Australia ruled :colbert:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

isnt the tl;dr on the subprime collapse basically that wells fargo and some other banks figured out a way to create a new financial instrument that they could profit off of, but it turns out that all the people who were really calling the shots manage to innoculate themselves by saddling the lower level grunts with a behemotithic task requiring a lot of due diligence, that no one bothered to actually do because they thought the level below them or other party did it

Kinda of?

Yes the banks created a new financial instrument to profit off of, but really it made sense. It genuinely did. But there was some perverseness all around...

So lets say you're a bank and you're gambling on a 20 sided dice. If you roll a nine or above you double your money. If you roll a 8 or below you lose it. Basically this was a sub prime loan as far as banks were concerned, so they said I don't want to roll once and possibly lose half even though i have a chance to make money, I rather roll 1000 times. If you roll a 1000 times it regresses to the mean and voila, you're making easy money.

So what the banks did was take a 1000 different sub prime mortages, cut them into 1000 pieces, then rearrage them and sell them. That way you can buy 10000 dollars in sub prime mortages, and diversify the risk for 1000's of different houses, so even if 5 go down, you're not out everything. It's like the dice, if you roll enough you know your risk.

OK so banks don't actually keep the loans. They just, make poo poo happen, then sell it to freddy fannie and all those other government backed places. Government backed meaning the government will guarantee those loans. So the banks know if anything goes wrong, they'll just sell the thing to the government effectively.

Lastly what really did it in is these things were rated the safest forms of investment for S&P. So basically too many houses in certain areas caused these new financial things to get useless and it tanked a lot of investments, then it forced freddie and fannie to have useless investments that the US government promised to pay out and that's how you make a mess this bad.

There was some fraud and opulence by the bankers but really in the end the lack of regulations really killed us

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

Wow. That speech at the end was really powerful. My first kid is due in January and wow, I'm motivated like I've never been motivated before.

Since this was the dollop thread I read this as Dave and it just came off super sarcastic.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Complacency isn't support but I get what you're saying. It's pretty bad.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

That 5 minute brother recounting bit was loving fantastic by the way.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Great Another bush conspiracy

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

All podcasters complain about losing podcast.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

smidgeonnn posted:

Losing I understand, but I meant how Dave sometimes makes it sound like no one even started recording.

Dave is the type of guy who will call out whoever for loving it up because... it's Dave. I really doubt a more level headed podcaster would really call out a person or a club or whatever.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

How is the penguin episode not being discussed more.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

Haven’t listened to that one, I’ll give it a try.

Bring the whole family it's great. I mean Dave brought an entire live audience for it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

All we were trying to say was the live shows can be pretty cool.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Today's dollop is way worth listening to. Don't start with me about it being live!!!!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

Hans Bertram might be one of my favorite episodes period

Gareth was on fire as fuuuuck. Boogle it

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I think Dave went too hard in the paint to start and just ruined Gareth on this one....

Me too though fuuuuuck this was a tough one

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

How emotionally rough are the Kennedy and the Operation W episodes?

What was the Kennedy episode?

Operation is just... brutal.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Straight up blocked that memory it seems like.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

HOW DO I GO TO BED

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Really did go deep in that pie hole

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Took like 45 minutes this episode lol

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Moving day moving daaayyyy

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Omg the truck nuts war I gotta say the dollop has had great ones lately

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Can't stres enough how good mince pies was

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

And all of them have a problem

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You're not supposed to re engineer something that isn't a problem that's a big rear end problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Thanks a lot for all this dick dorkins