Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

fool_of_sound posted:

Dave is also kinda an insane person, politically. He's really bad about conveniently forgetting details that disprove his point, and gets furiously mad when corrected. It's mostly still good, but just take his political stuff with a grain of salt.

gently caress your salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait what? which one?

the one that got removed

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What is it about this show that attracts internet pedants like no other? When this thread is not complaining about ads it's mostly going "I can't believe Dave does not know that there are molluscs that live on land!" or "Well actually, german nationalism predates the holy roman empire". This is basically a one-man improv show and somehow a significant part of the listenership has staked it as the hill they want to die on.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The transportation episode was the best in ages. Nothing terribly surprising if you've listened to the rest of the podcast or you're up on your history, but the banter was good and they seemed like they were having a good time. I honestly hope they'll do more social justice-stuff mostly because it's something they care and get excited about. The weakness of the show is that after 200 episodes it's kind of become routine for the both of them, and rarely do either of them become truly shocked when things get weird.

Getting energy out of outrage is a viable substitute.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I'm not on twitter, but from the poo poo I've been linked to it seems like baiting/trolling celebrities, and then telling them to get off twitter is some kind of sport? There are apparently people from the entire political spectrum piling on Dave right now. I'm guessing if he logs off for a while that is considered a point? Is there a scoreboard somewhere?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Slanderer posted:

It's baffling to see people losing their poo poo about this on twitter. Like they were fine with the jokes about dead children, genocide, etc---those were all in good fun--but after this episode they are CANCELED

To be fair, not all of them were fine with jokes about dead children or genocide either. The Dollop has gotten poo poo on Twitter since day one.

AriadneThread posted:

unfortunately, handling that kind of situation has never been their strong suit

Taking it down seems a pretty good way of handling it, I mean, even if they end up putting up an edited version or even backtracking doing something shows they are more reflective than the default comedian response of going "Comedians must be allowed to make jokes!".

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Asking to have an expert representative there is fine and all, but it's not really what the show is about. The show has always been about one barely literate dude reading a Wikipedia article to an illiterate dude.

There are two kinds of Dollop episodes: you have the ones that are about something crazy and inherently funny, like competitive tickling or dolphin loving, but you also have episodes that derive a lot of their impact from being about horrible historical events, where most of the humor is derived from riding the line of good taste, usually relying on ironical and chronological distance.

A lot of the latter episodes fail completely at being funny, especially stories from recent history like the torture or LAPD ones, yet they're the ones they've been gravitating towards for the latter half of the series. Maybe they're running out of stories, or maybe they just prefer stories that allow for more political catharsis now. Clearly, it's very much what Dave is about.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

oh dope posted:

pretty low brow edge lord stuff.

There is too much of this. If I was going to listen to edge lord stuff I'd listen to "high brow" edge lord stuff like Cum Town.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Good episode. Enjoyed the guest; nice having a different sort of voice on.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Surprisingly mundane. I did learn something though, so worth a listen.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
This page is off to a great start!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

AceOfFlames posted:

Jeez, 10 minutes into this ep and I'm already angry. Regardless of how lovely they can be, why do comedians ALWAYS resort to "haha look at this loving nerd" jokes when discussing tech dudes? Are we just going to demonize being interested in technology again?

Why wouldn't you call lovely nerds nerds? They usually deserve it. Someone saying theyre into block chain is like a legitimate red flag.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Why do it separate? There's already a bunch of Australian ones in the regular dollop feed.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I hope people are complaining to Dave on Twitter.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
No, it's funny.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
lol nobody understands fair use and using copyright law to stifle free speech is evil, unless of course you are plagiarizing one of us that's just the worst

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It does not really matter to me whether he reads them out or not, but if people ignorant of the fact that Dave have always kept track of the sources, and only waited until episode 30 or something to start publishing them because he was struggling with the website are going to claim this as some kind of moral victory, that will be annoying.

Hopefully, if people go on about it Dave will stop reading out sources out of spite, which will be funny.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The dollop in Oslo is about to start, I hope they will do something local, but I will settle for whatever Swedish thing they ran last time.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
If you were the dude with the annoyingly performative and LOUD laugh sitting behind me, you suck.

Show was okay. Bit dark for The Dollop, and kind of lacking a grand narrative.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Anta posted:

I got in late (right around the kitty boat part) and one of the first things I heard was Dave pronouncing Sámi right and getting corrected by the audience :v:

I loved how quiet the entire theater got when asked if people from Finnmark live in mud holes. Just dead quiet with all the Norwegians in the audience feeling real awkward. Gareth seemed to read the room and quickly moved him on.

Nah, he was saying it wrong, lady in the audience was on point. Good on him for entertaining the corrections multiple times, even though he'd revert to saying Sæmi a few minutes later.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Anta posted:

He was saying it correctly in the Sámi pronunciation. The Norwegian one changes the á into an a, while an English pronunciation is close to the Sámi one. So it was funny to me to have a room full of people tell him he got it wrong when he was the only one getting it right for once.

He kept talking to a guy from Finnmark in the audience. I missed out on the beginning, how did that start?

You're wrong, and that lady was prolly Sámi herself, weird of you to assume otherwise.
- The Sámi lady sitting next to me.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Business Plot seemed oddly relevant to me.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Dave has tweeting to do. Like an unhealthy amount of it.

He argues with people on Instagram too. Like, every day.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Why wouldn't they be? Every live ep has been published thus far as far as I know. They have had the opportunity to do paywalled eps before now with Patreon, but they seem to be more about the ads as a source of revenue.

I guess that could be changing, but I have not seen anything about that on social media.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Is that a Looper stipulation?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I think it's come up during other episodes relating to the satanic panic, like the one about Jack Parsons, but I don't think they've done an episode on it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i hate being that guy. but poo poo is slowly getting better in some ways and its good to try to have hope for the future and also work for it. Doomer poo poo is the loving worst.

lol

Being angry on the radio has always been good business and I don't know that Dave has that many bridges left to burn. He will probably do alright.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I keep coming back to the episodes with duels.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Dapper_Swindler posted:

which one. i like the sandbar one. where a bunch of southern assholes shoot each other.

I like all of em; The Jackson Cheese and Abolitionist Cassius Clay come to mind first.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I maintain that "God After Dark" has been the single funniest thing I have heard in like a decade

Which ep was that again?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

JGdmn posted:

The way Dave pronounces Terra Haute made me laugh, then I realized just the fact that I knew how the proper way to pronounce it meant I was really laughing at myself.

I was expecting the Bransons and Hudsons to show up in the story.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

FlamingLiberal posted:

A listener on Twitter made a bunch of graphs and charts in honor of the show's 500th episode (thread)

https://twitter.com/vicbrown89/status/1453120676219404290?s=20

It would have been fun to have stats about how often Dave brings up anal every time they do a sexual bit; I am pretty sure it's near 100%

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Dave has finally had enough of people skipping over the beginning.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I would like a compilation of all the times Dave has said "your face!" to Gareth after some horrible reveal.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I like the Ugly Laws one. It's horrible, but there are lots of funny riffs. They tone down the riffing on depressing episodes later in the series, which is probably for the best, because making jokes about a chained up disabled person having berries tossed up his rear end for money is probably not a great look, but I love the enthusiasm.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I would not mind the Dollop going back into This American Life territory like they were in at the very beginning. It just feels like really fun history stuff has been used up. 4 episodes on how maybe Hamilton is a piece of poo poo is not that funny.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Hope they do one with James Adomian.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Open mouth guy thumbs is an instant unsub for me. Your videos might be great, but if you're willingly copying the format of videos that are absolute dreck I just can't respect you or risk having your open mouth be the first thing greeting anyone trying to navigate the YouTube on my TV.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What is this Twitter beef they've referenced in the last couple of episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Raw oysters are hella nice y'all. Most are meticulously farmed these days which works for all seasons, but even wild ones are good in the winter if the water is nice.