Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Autogolpe is a term we're seeing a lot these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tweet is not entirely clear, but by my reading of the news, the prosecutor's office is trying to nullify the victory of Arevalo (surprise quasi outsider candidate?) and this is the courts saying "no, gently caress you". Whether this is good depends on your opinion of Arevalo and I don't have one. It does seem like the prosecutor's office stunt was Some Bullshit.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 8, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm let's see if it gets spicy again. I changed a trip from Guatemala and Honduras earlier to Costa Rica now because of massive protests and blockades that wete happening then. I've been asking around and apparently things have calmed down back to normal, but this could certainly get some people upset. But I think it's good?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Tweet is not entirely clear, but by my reading of the news, the prosecutor's office is trying to nullify the victory of Arevalo (surprise quasi outsider candidate?) and this is the courts saying "no, gently caress you". Whether this is good depends on your opinion of Arevalo and I don't have one. It does seem like the prosecutor's office stunt was Some Bullshit.

yeah I did some digging on this earlier and that's also my reading. Arevalo will take office

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
So apparently both Orban and Zelensky will be on Buenos Aires on Sunday for Mieli’s investiture .

And Orban just announced some pro Russia stuff?

Should be fun!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Here's a 3 hour (!) video on Mileis economics, I have no idea if it's good or poo poo. But I've watched this guys videos before and he seemed to be speaking sense back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgBKSjtmahs

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Alright, been trying to read up some on Arevalo's political inclinations vs his opponent(s). Broadly: seems good. Real big on anticorruption and is the first guy in a billion years not to slide into bed with too many of the established powers, has some solid and implementable working class focused recovery plans.

Usual caveat that I can't read Spanish for poo poo and my prior knowledge of Guatemala is not deep but a bunch of vaguely reliable, not particularly capitalist shill outlets all seem to be on the same page. And conservatives in Guatemala are very mad, which is usually a sign things are going right.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 11, 2023

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Alright, been trying to read up some on Arevalo's political inclinations vs his opponent(s). Broadly: seems good. Real big on anticorruption

Historically being big on anti corruption in the campaign is the biggest indicator for super-corruption when in office

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Historically being big on anti corruption in the campaign is the biggest indicator for super-corruption when in office

I don't think this is true

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

i say swears online posted:

Checks out for Brasil (Jânio, Collor, Bolsonaro)

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

i say swears online posted:

Aw babby must be new here

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who runs on corruption

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I think it can go either way. Accusing political rivals of being corrupt is a fairly common tactic, but sometimes there's just a lot of corruption that you need somebody to specifically root out.

And sometimes you get a guy who rips out corruption only to replace it with his own corruption.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Quick 'anti-corruption' fixes tend to involve a bit of centralisation of power and replacement of officials with new, loyal people.

And that will indeed solve the corruption problem. For about two weeks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Who runs on corruption

Everyone!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Who runs on corruption

Nobody. Why do you think the world is so corrupt?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

As far as I can tell, the Guatemalan government is in fact in an unusually bad state re graft. Whether Arevalo is likely to do something significant about that rapidly gets beyond me. I'm seeing stuff about transparency reforms but dunno if that's just branding or what.

trying to get educated on the politics of a country your media has never cared about from square one is hard even when it's in the Anglosphere (which is why I will remain the reigning champion on Sri Lankan politics :smug:)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 13, 2023

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
No faction or party is ever openly pro-corruption, of course.

But making anti-corruption the main banner of a candidate or movement is usually a 100% sign that they have no plan or platform for development, diplomacy, piblic service, logistics, etc.

Just hunt and punch the enemy of choice and it will ALL get better. It hasn't gotten better yet? You didn't punch enough thugs. Or maybe you are one. Why are you against the thug-punching initiative?

Brazil is a very corrupt country, but revenue losses to that are -minuscule- compared to tax evasion and losses due to tax havens. To no one's surprise, the quasi-legal graft used by the real corporate and public movers and shakers receives a lot less media hype than the classic suitcase full of dollars.

Then again, even the suitcase of cash can be excused for the right people. Aecio Neves, a neolib shithead held to be the Great White Hope for the center-right to stop eating poo poo in Brazil, was filmed sending a suitcase full of cash via a cousin and laughing about killing any snitches. He was never formally charged, ran for a minor legislative position with ummunity in his home state and won, and no one talks about it. It did collapse his presidential run, though, and was one of factors that allowed the rise of Bolsonaro

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so I'm in Guatemala right now. Like physically.

A few months ago there were huge protests including all major roads being blockaded. It seems that whatever is happening in response to the ruling hasn't resulted in any disturbance so far. I'll try to chat up some locals but my spanish is non-existent so I might get an unrepresentative sample of opinions but we'll see.

E: as for "anti-corruption", yeah that was a red flag to me as well. It's not something I can support statistically but in my Eastern-European experience this has been a code-word for "we're gonna be extremely corrupt lol". Maybe it's not even intentional on their behalf, like if all the state systems and structures are already completely hosed, but in the end that seems to happen... a lot.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 13, 2023

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™
Meanwhile in Argentina, Milei imposed a series of economic measures.
In his campaign he said that the adjustment was going to be paid for by the political caste.
On Tuesday they announced that they are withdrawing subsidies from services and transportation, devaluing the dollar by 114%, and increasing taxes on services in dollars.

All measures that destroy the middle and lower class.
In the end the middle and lower classes were the enemy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Every time I hate being poor, I remember that to be rich or even stable I'd have to suck a sociopath's dick and then I feel a little better.

They're gonna kill me eventually though. That day's coming. Death by a thousand little roadblocks until the transmission block finally gets cut.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Milei's economics are of course terrible, but a big chunk of the current inflation crisis is the government artificially boosting demand. He's going to create a lot more problems along the way as dollarization ruins a lot of domestic industries but a side effect is Argentines will be so poor that they won't be able to afford dollars, solving the problem.

The alternative is a program of capital controls and protectionism alongside domestic investment that builds up supply to match demand but if the Argentine government could pull that off a la Asian tiger style it wouldn't be argentine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Argentina's economy seems like such a clusterfuck that I'm not even sure more idiotic policies can make it significantly worse at this point

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well at least the could try a new idiotic policy

Im pretty sure that specific one have been tried many times in the last decades

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Nothing crashed and burned within 24 hours so Number is exuberant.

quote:

Day one of the grand experiment to cure Argentina’s crisis-ravaged economy handed President Javier Milei a victory.
His government’s moves to devalue the peso 54% and slash the budget were received well on Wall Street, where traders bid up the country’s bonds, and, more importantly, at home, where there were no signs of panic among inflation-wary Argentine shoppers and investors.
Argentines appear willing to endure the short-term pain because Milei is promising relief to come — if everyone can just buckle down for the trials ahead, the thinking goes, redemption is on its way. And the population is desperate for relief as the country heads to its sixth recession of the past decade with poverty rates topping 40% after years of mismanagement.
There’s no doubt it will be painful for most people, as already fuel refiners have hiked prices by some 40%, according to
a report in La Nacion. A coalition of groups opposed to Milei’s austerity program announced demonstrations in Buenos Aires on Dec. 20. The new government says it’s developing a strategy to deal with any disruptions or traffic blockades.
But at this point, most Argentines see Milei’s ideas as the best bet for normalizing the economy.
Central bank President Santiago Bausili told them that his short-term goal is to accumulate dollar reserves, with a broader aim of eliminating exchange restrictions down the line, according to people who attended the meeting but asked not to be identified.
Bausili also told them that he won’t break contracts or breach previous commitments with the banks, and there won’t be any changes imposed to notes that have already been sold. The central bank chief expects more dollars to flow into the country in 2024 from agricultural exports and foreign investment, the people said.
The central bank’s press office didn’t respond to a request for comment.
Some analysts and investors warned, however, that the optimism may be overdone. Alejo Costa, the chief strategist at BTG Pactual in Buenos Aires, said it was far too early to celebrate the tighter exchange rates.
“These plans always cause a reduction in the exchange gap on the first day,” Costa said. “Then it starts to grow.”
For now, though, it seems most Argentines and investors are maintaining a sense of optimism, recognizing that the shock therapy proposed by Milei might be exactly what the country needs.
“The best analogy I would use is that they put all the meat on the grill, which is an age old Argentine saying, which means that you just throw the sink at this thing,” said Walter Stoeppelwerth, a senior strategist at Montevideo-based brokerage Gletir. “If you wait, you give time for your opposition, enemies to regroup and to mount a significant problem.”
https://archive.ph/PuQxL

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dek posted:

Meanwhile in Argentina, Milei imposed a series of economic measures.
In his campaign he said that the adjustment was going to be paid for by the political caste.
On Tuesday they announced that they are withdrawing subsidies from services and transportation, devaluing the dollar by 114%, and increasing taxes on services in dollars.

All measures that destroy the middle and lower class.
In the end the middle and lower classes were the enemy.

Wow they actually voted to do to themselves what the IMF and the World Bank usually have to send the CIA in to force on people.

Or 51% of them did, I really feel for the other 49% who tried to stop this

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

VitalSigns posted:

Wow they actually voted to do to themselves what the IMF and the World Bank usually have to send the CIA in to force on people.

Or 51% of them did, I really feel for the other 49% who tried to stop this

This is what you get when people decide that they want change for the sake of change.

Maybe this is what Argentina needs and Milei will go down in history as the guy who was willing and able to sacrifice his long term political career to get a bunch of necessary changes made in the Argentinian economy, but who knows. Hopefully not too many people get hurt along the way.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/what-does-argentinas-shock-therapy-economic-package-involve-2023-12-13/

quote:

Government subsidies for media companies will be suspended, as they are a nonessential expense, the minister noted.

Argentina's universal child allowance plan will be doubled and a food card program by the government will be increased by 50%.
These parts sound fine at least. It doesn't really sound like he's done anything really batshit yet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

This is what you get when people decide that they want change for the sake of change.

Maybe this is what Argentina needs and Milei will go down in history as the guy who was willing and able to sacrifice his long term political career to get a bunch of necessary changes made in the Argentinian economy, but who knows. Hopefully not too many people get hurt along the way.

When inflation is at 160% and you are on your 6th recession in 10 years your policy choices are about who gets stuck holding the big bag of poo poo that's been passed around for years, you don't get to pretend there isn't a big bag of poo poo.

Milei is absolutely going to gently caress it up and the next election will return a Peronist left government and Argentina will stay stuck in the cycle its been stuck in for the last 100 years.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Argentina's economy seems like such a clusterfuck that I'm not even sure more idiotic policies can make it significantly worse at this point

In economic theory there are 4 types of economies. Mature economies, developing economies, Japan and Argentina

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i believe the academic term is flaystagtion

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

https://x.com/AmericaElige/status/1735436002947449340?s=20

somewhere between galaxy brain and "well it's not like we lose anything by trying"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OK that's more like it

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Welp

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

now we're cookin'

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

OK that's more like it

Ah, the old "arrest left wingers and send their children to be raised by authoritarians" shtick. gently caress.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
you see i am an anarcho capitalist because i believe in the most freedomest liberties. free freedoms to do what you please, that's what it's all about. this is an unshakeable ironclad core to my ideological tenets. free markets, free people. freedom, liberty

[gets in power] DISSENT IS PUNISHABLE BY REVOCATION OF CHILDREN. UNIONIZATION OF LABOR IS TREASON

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The loudest voice for freedom immediately turns into an overreaching authoritarian? Wow there is no historical precedence for this. Who could have ever known?

Better keep education underfunded and controlled to be sure. "Civics" is a dirty word this century.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

You guys just don't see! These union thugs were preventing good honest Argentinians from exercising their freedom to go to work or use services so because they have some sort of grievance they should individually make an informed economic choice about. Instead they engage in collective action, which is essentially terrorism as it prevents capital from being exploited. Really, democratic collective action is a small step away from the gulags.

Less sarcastically, a number of protests in Argentina take the form of blockading part of the city. Effectively the goal is to not just deny services to the sector, industry or company in dispute but to shut down activity in the city as much as possible. Often these are done without prior notice, I'm assuming a tactic to maximise their impact. The result is a lot of the middle class are really loving sick of them and this kind of far reaching and liable to be abused legislation will probably be well received initially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Right next door, Chile is having a time.

https://apnews.com/article/chile-new-constitution-referendum-f7be231ff564856f6a5e1b0c0ac12c57
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/17/chile-draft-constitution-vote-negative-impacts
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-67715543
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/17/world/americas/chile-constitution-referendum-vote.html

If you remember a while back, Chile voted to get a new constitution since the current one was written by Pinochet. Only, the first, very progressive proposal, failed to be voted in. Now there's a second proposal written by conservatives up for a vote, and it's way in the other directions. Most notably, it promises to protect unborn life, so that could lead to banning abortions. There's also a lot of stuff about protecting private property, cutting down the the number of legislative representatives, protecting homeschooling, and declaring rodeo to become the national pasttime.

But initial polls seem to also be towards voters rejecting this constitution as well, so maybe they'll just end up going back to 40 more years of Pinochet constitution.