Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SexyBlindfold posted:

Boric wins with a 10 point lead.

Boric is confusingly close to Boris, and I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

Yeah folks just call him El Boris (or Boris Jackson, since people originally found it hard to tell him apart from Giorgio Jackson, who was also a former student leader who got into congress at the same time as Boric).

I'm referring to one Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, I don't want to hastily misread a headline as 'Boris gains massive victory' and spoil my mood. Not Boric's fault, but I would prefer him to be called 'Gabriel' to avoid this. :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

proletariando posted:

I doubt this is a surprise the Russians just threw on Cuba and Venezuela, they've probably talked about this before. It seems like Russia's overextending too much though, they're already in Ukraine and Tajikistan never mind a deployment on the other side of the planet.

If we're talking about naval bases, they have had one in Tartus, Syria forever now. And I suppose that would be a good selling point to some governments, given how much Russia helped Assad... (still it would be overextending, but then Russia needs overseas bases to be a serious global sea power which Russia is destined to be :peterthegreatcry:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nucleic Acids posted:

Why wouldn’t it?

Do they speak Latin there?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

There's no one definition of Latin America in use. The only logical definition would be the Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries in Central and South America, but sometimes it's used for all of South America and the Caribbean. Why yes, Rihanna is a Latin American :dumb:

See also how Middle East extends from Morocco to Pakistan...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

i say swears online posted:

quebecois are Latin American

Philippines became Latin American in 1898

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

UN could lease or sell the mandate to the highest bidding Caribbean cruise company and then use that income for humanitarian aid. Labadee's already peaceful, might as well expand from there.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's ironic how so many are carrying Brazilian flags when they clearly oppose order and progress.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

You can't spell democracy without starting by demolition!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

kliras posted:

official lula comments in this thread: sounds like the response you'd wanna hear

https://twitter.com/apagliar/status/1612191224902950916

https://twitter.com/apagliar/status/1612192174074130436
https://twitter.com/apagliar/status/1612194670016069632

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

CameronisGod posted:

LOL it's funny to see that Brasil has a stronger and more competent Democracy than the United States. US is a total banana republic.

Brasil immediately arrested all of these coupists and they are all going to go to jail for 30 years. US couldn't even defend their own capital in a similiar situation. loving Amazing.

Lula was already sworn in, Bolsonaro in Florida, and the crowd still took over the parliament, the president's palace and the supreme court. They got that far because the government couldn't trust the police and military. That is not what a competent and strong democracy looks like.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Also Biden wasn't imprisoned and prevented to run in the previous election in a case where the judge in his case becoming Trump's justice minister.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 10, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

CameronisGod posted:

Yes but all those locations were empty.

The Jan 6th folks marched into congress in a session certifying election results...

And were met with a hail of bullets. Meanwhile nobody tried to stop the Brazil demonstrators, because there was not a single trustworthy policeman there.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Wait, pardon? From what I saw they absolutely were not met with "a hail of bullets". Do you mean some of them were fired upon, because that's true. But to say they were resisted that much doesn't seem to tally with the events as depicted.

Maybe Ashli Babbit just tripped over and broke her neck?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

because of the line "I've heard of people accusing the US of being behind every coup and uprising in South America, but I've never heard of people saying the US was the one responsible for stopping every coup and uprising before." in the quoted post, which i took to mean that my point wanted clarification - this uprising could only have turned into a coup if the US were willing to get seriously behind it, which the US had very good reasons not to do. the point being, the brazilian military hardliners would find themselves very isolated without US support - i.e., the US has an effective veto on this sort of thing.

Not just USA, but EU too. A new lucrative trade agreement is currently in the works and scrapping that just to own the libs would be really bad for Brazilian business life. Brazilian economy did well under Lula's previous terms too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

There's a rapper in Estados Unidos called Shakur, I wonder what his opinion is?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think earlier Maduro already wore out a lot of the prospective goodwill of China and Russia by taking money for loans that they haven't really been paying off, and there's been plain ol' investments that haven't worked out because Venezuela hasn't really increased their oil production like China wanted.

And now China's economy is plateauing and they're under a lot of economic stress so they won't spread money around like they used to, and Russia has a wholeass war going on that they are struggling to produce enough materiel for themselves to use, much less sell to others.

It's also hard to see how Venezuela potentially expanding their oil production would help Russia. Destabilization in the western hemisphere on the other hand might help, but it's just hard to see this having even as much effect as the Hamas attack on global stability.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

And than the USA will employ all its resources as the sole world superpower to rescue you. And whoever dares to touch a hair of your head will face tremendous and expensive consequences like being bombed to oblivion, and/or sanctioned to bankruptcy, because you are the most precious human beings in the world

Well, not under all circumstances, like if there is a right wing populist president and you are :airquote: Political Activist :airquote:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The #1 piece of unsolicited advice you get from everyone, local or foreigner, in Colombia is not to use dating apps to meet local girls.

So it's fine for meeting local boys, great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Notoriously, US forces besieged the Holy See's embassy in Panama where Noriega was hiding, playing rock music including Van Halen from loudspeakers for 10 days before he surrendered.