Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
It seems that drug cartels are now using drones loaded with drugs to cross the border.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/in-english/2015/drone-carrying-drugs-falls-down-in-tijuana-100426.html

guess they beat Amazon Prime Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Siselmo posted:

Usually, the more south you go the cheaper it gets. The rent I mentioned would give you a nice place in a not upper-class but otherwise pretty decent neighborhood in Colima or Villa de Álvarez. And some stuff is cheaper in Mexico. It depends on what. Fruits, veggies and most edible stuff I find them much cheaper over here and of better quality. Also, if you buy a lot of stuff second hand, then you can spend less than in Cali. Electronics and clothes of decent brand are no contest cheaper in Cali, though (I never buy new games here, just trade. And as plus-sized woman, the US has much more variety of plus size clothes of decent brands).

As papasyhotcakes said, in terms of gas prices, the oil crash made things worse, but the hikes in prices have been around waaaay before that.

On tax hikes, I don't know why they happened. AFAIK, they said it was to be more equal with the rest of the country. A lot of people here thought it was just another way for the government to milk more money. A few who are more conspiracy minded say it was planned between the US and Mexico in order to help the american economy near the border.

Also, keep in mind that in my area, the minimum wages are around 70 to 120 pesos a day. How the gently caress is someone expected to live with that I have no loving idea. Heck, once I get my degree in two and a half years, if I get a job with a weekly wage of ~$1500 I wouldn't complain.

OH YEAH! Almost forgot about the dollar! Before the 2008 crisis, the exchange rate was ~10.50 to 11 pesos for a dollar. During the crisis, it spiked a lot, reaching $15 at its worst (in exchange houses, it was around $14.70). Then, it sorta stabilized between $12.20 and $13.50. Now it has reached $15 again on banks and in exchange houses it's almost reaching it (today it was ~$14.70). For us at the border, not only is everything here getting more expensive, but also our money is worth less and less dollars, so even California is getting more expensive (and let's not forget the people that pay rent for their homes/businesses in dollars! because that totally is a thing).

I find it impressive how the views of the government change from place to place. I'm a mexican living in Mexico City, a bastion for the left wing. I do think the president is not doing that bad of a job, it's just that world events are just not helping. The increase of the value of the USD is not the government's fault, but it affects the economic plan deeply as there's a risk of inflation in the short/medium term.

The thing that is really loving us up is the oil prices. The government had to implement a cuts plan that will really impact many projects that were the highlight of this government (high speed train between Mexico City and Queretaro, oil extraction and exploration, a new airport in Mexico City...).

I do think the scandals regarding the personal properties of the president and his staff should be deeply investigated, but this has just been blown out of proportion by the media.

Regarding the dismissal of the journalist Carmen Aristegui, I do think she has her own political agenda and it's known she's been backed by Carlos Slim for quite some time. But I think her voice should not be silenced if we say we are a democracy. Even if I don't agree with some of her work, I know it is on the best interest of everyone that she continues her work as opposition to the current government to keep them in line.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Wait. That's the same president that's going to denationalize PEMEX right?

Because it seems that the oil prices thing will get much worse if that happens...

the decision on PEMEX was done 2 years ago IIRC, before the oil price crisis started, so there was no turning back from it.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
Argentinian and Uruguayan restaurants are very popular here in Mexico. I'd be trilled to enjoy that terrific cousine everyday although my colon would soon regret it.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
I visited RJ last year for the world cup, and I can tell that even if Brazil is seen sometimes as a distant cousin than a brother in our grand latin american brotherhood, they are very similar cultural wise.

Also most people in brazil love mexicans from what I could tell, thanks Chavez (chavo), RBD and Thalia, you guys have been the true diplomatic figures for us mexicans in all of Latin America.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
An american citizen was arrested in Mexico City with several weapons and more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition in his car. He claims they were for hunting :haw: (couldn't find another link in english):

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/world/americas/story/mexico-arrests-us-man-array-armed-weapons-ammunition-his-car-20150504

The same weekend a Mexican Army helicopter is shot down by an RPG-7 in the state of Jalisco, killing 6 people on board:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/05/world/americas/toll-climbs-to-6-in-mexican-helicopter-downing.html?_r=0

This is further increasing the pressure on the Mexican government to demand some answers from the US, as most weapons used by cartels come from there.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

LGD posted:

How on earth do you see that further increasing pressure? An RPG-7 obviously isn't related to U.S. guns being re-routed to Mexico, and the dude in the other article looks a lot more like a genuine moron than a cartel smuggler, unless there has been an uptick in drug related crossbowings I'm unaware of.

It is the first time a helicopter is shot down by a rocket during the drug war, so this is moving the public opinion towards violence further escalating. The link is a little bit old:

http://world.time.com/2012/10/25/mexicos-drug-lords-ramp-up-their-arsenals-with-rpgs/

but the government claimed in 2012 that 68% out of 100,000 weapons were traced back to the U.S. The RPGs are probably coming from Central America, but still, this has been a topic everytime security officers from both countries meet. Not to mention that ATF scandal.

Regarding the guy arrested, what is he doing with all those weapons and ammo (in a car with license plates from Ohio), in Mexico City, a place not known for it's hunting fauna.

The US government could tell Mexico to go gently caress themselves if they didn't need them to police the borders (both with US and Guatemala) for any terrorists trying to get to the US.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Polidoro posted:

He didn't do poo poo. He spent most of his period self-promoting. People outside love him because he's "poor" and "legalized" weed when weed's been always legal to consume and the law that regulates production is a mess and still hasn't come into effect.

Also, I feel he used his image as a poor man to deflect a lot of shady poo poo that went down during his government. Every time you bring any instances of this up, you get shut down by the "but he's so poor/humble, he can't be involved in anything".

It also bothers me that for such a revolutionary as he's supposed to be, he always ended up doing what the US wanted like getting the Guantanamo prisoners which was such a big mess that the prison might not close after all. He used them and the Syrian refugees we got for self-promotion and now these people are becoming a problem.

And finally he left us with a dwindling economy and the biggest deficit in history right at the end of the commodities craze, and the education system is in the worst shape it's ever been when he said in his inaugural speech that the three most important words for his government would be "education, education, education". This last thing makes sense when you see he later claimed that his votes come mostly by ignorant people.

I could write more but have to go.

He is one of those people leftists quote all over Latin America when arguing that left wing governments are the answer. It's not so difficult to argue against this when you check Uruguay's numbers in economy after he took over. Which latin american country governed by the left has had any real improvement? Chile perhaps?

I'm more inclined to the left, but OMG are left parties in latin america the worst kind of left.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

joepinetree posted:

90% of the stuff people say about Lula's sons is fake. People will spread rumors that they own pretty much every fast growing Brazilian company. They also love to gossip about how much they spent on a dinner, or clothes, or whatever. It is part of old class/northeasterner prejudices, where Alckmin's daughter taking a picture with the Kardashians is a cool think worth of fawning over, but did you know Lula's son spent 200 bucks on a bottle of wine? * faints *

This headline is emblematic of that. People in Brazil are all talking about the whatsapp ban. So Epoca finds the flimsiest excuse to come up with a headline to attack Lula. "Lula's son switches from whatsapp to telegram." In what world is his messaging app newsworthy, other than to feed the narrative?

wait a moment, is the app block just for him or for the whole country? Why would a judge order this? Did he sell drugs through a whatsapp group or something?

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Siselmo posted:

With the Panama Papers leak, among the list was guy involved in the "Casa Blanca" scandal here in Mexico. For anyone who doesn't know, here's a super brief summary from wiki

If more names are coming, I would totally not be surprised to see Slim, Azcárraga, Salinas and gently caress ton more shitheads popping up.

If by Salinas you mean Salinas Pliego, he is in the documents, used an offshore company to buy goods, mostly expensive works of art.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Can someone from Uruguay tell me why the hell everything is so expensive except for mate and legal weed?

I'm not from Uruguay, but I will take a wild guess and say that everything has to be imported except mate and weed.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
Can't we all agree that the "izquierda latinoamerica" has failed miserably?

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
So, what were the terms of this peace? would the FARC leaders come out clean out of this after decades of committing murder, rape, drug dealing, kidnapping of kids and other awful poo poo? If that's the case, I could understand why some people would vote NO.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
a side story I want to share to deviate a little from this and was inspired by the guy that said they still use floppy disks in Bielorrussia:

As far as 5 years ago, my sister worked in the judiciary system in the Mexico Government. She had just graduated, and was seen as the new girl in the office. She says that she often clashed with the older staff, specially the 40+ year old secretaries. One of the funnier stories she told me was that the office had to order a shipment of external floppy disks to connect into the office computers, this was because the older staff was not used to sending documents via email or at least using a USB drive, they didn't have the skill and they also didn't want to learn, as their union would argue that they needed a better pay to handle all this 21st century tech, which the government surely didn't want to get into. So if my sister wanted a document from someone, they would copy it in a 3.5" floppy disk and hand over to her.

This was all happening in a government central office in Mexico City, not a god forgotten municipal office deep in the mountains. I don't doubt this is still happening in some offices here in 2016.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Friendly Humour posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37735267

What is the government's version of events?

According to the official report, the students were seized by corrupt municipal police officers who handed them over to members of a local drugs gang. The drugs gang mistook the students for members of a rival gang, killed them and burned their bodies at the dump before throwing their ashes into a nearby stream.

Why do the families not believe the official report?

They think officials have failed to investigate the role soldiers from a nearby barracks may have played in the students' disappearance. The government has refused to let the soldiers, who were in the area at the time of the disappearance, be questioned by anyone but government prosecutors. The families also point to the report by the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights which said that there was no evidence the bodies of the 43 were burned at the dump

I'm of the unpopular believe that the government's version is the one closest to the truth. The students were hijacking buses to take them to Mexico City for the October 2nd rallies, and rumor has it, they chose the wrong bus, as it was loaded with weapon/drugs or something important to one of the local drug gangs. That is why they mistook them as members of the rival gang.

Nothing is certain and it has already been 2 years since that day, so it is very difficult to continue gathering evidence for a new investigation after the parents reject the last one provided to them.

Regarding the parents, I do believe they are being misguided by people from the left with political motives, as they gain popular appeal with this cause, and keep the government in constant pressure and low popularity numbers.

One thing I believe all parties agree, is that the remains of at least 17 people are there in the burned dump. This is a very politicized issue in Mexico, it is no longer just a criminal investigation, which is very sad, as everyone is profiting politically from the parent's pain for their lost sons.

All of this (Except the tragedy itself) could've been avoided if the federal government wasn't so dumb at the time to ignore this incident (they did nothing the first 3 days) and handled the situation poorly thinking this would go away as another mass murder/execution between rival gangs. It gave the hard left time to turn this around and blame the federal government for everything that happened there and gain the support of the population.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Friendly Humour posted:

Um ok, but left or no left, why exactly did the parents reject the government investigation? Cuz I keep reading about "international investigations" that reject the official verdict, which seemed to be the stated reason. I don't think it's exactly healthy to reject them out of hand just because their case would be hopeless without political affliation. And regardless, if the federal government was indeed so seemingly incapable in handling the investigation as to make them culpable, aren't the people you call your "hard left" basically right? I mean, on a facts level?

According to the IACHR (Human rights commission for the Organization of American States) the government lied, saying that the students were not killed and their bodies burned the way the government investigation says, but never gave another hypothesis on what happened, because it is also hard for them to investigate what really happened. After a year of investigations, it felt more and more that the investigation from the IACHR was more focused in discrediting the government investigation than propose their own theory, which I think made them lose credibility with people (including myself). Now add this to the fact that the IACHR's executive secretary is a mexican human rights advocate linked to the left political party ruling Mexico City (PRD), that the pro-government press has accused him of using this conflict for his political gain.

On how the left used the governments inability to act to turn this around, was because the local government where this incident happened was ruled by this same party (PRD) and the mayor of this town was the one that ordered the police to detain the students and hand them over to the drug gang. So instead of this mess exploding in their hands, they masterfully changed the public opinion and blamed it on the federal government, federal police and army.

I could go on and on about this, the polarizing aspect in discussing this problem, is that the issue pertains so many levels in government (local, state and federal), drug cartels, guerilla (it is known that the "normal rural" schools where these students go are a breeding ground for guerillas that have opposed the government for close to 50 years), so there are so many hands and interest in this, that is so difficult to get the real truth and finally give the parents some needed resolution to the fate of their sons.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Siselmo posted:

So, the gas prices went up by 20% in a single day. Other stuff like gas (the used for stoves and the like) also went up over %15, the predial (kinda like a property tax) went up by 50%, and many other stuff is going up like crazy here in Mexico.

This is turning insane. There's been a lot of protests and looting all over the country.

Gas stations, at least in my city, are running out, and Facebook has turned into a network of people asking which stations have gas. Right now I'm in winter vacation, but many primaria students go back to school next week, and many people are returning to work. Things are not looking good for people who use public transport too (In my city, there's been talks about raising bus fare from $10 to $13-$16, which is loving insane, and even more because people usually ride them 2 to 4 times a day. Fixed-route taxis are doing the same too, and their fares range from $10 to $20, so who knows how much they want to raise them).

The president and some other higher-ups from the government have made statements that boil down to "Energy Reform had nothing to do with it, it was all because of oil prices around the world (which I kinda get, but the whole thing has been handled horribly). We know it's super hard, but please ignore our $100K per month salary, all of the bonuses we gave to ourselves at the end of 2016 and deal with it".

Some guy, I forgot who, actually said the prices are not that bad because they are on par with Texas and California (in terms of price per liter). Except this year's minimum wage is 80.04 pesos. That's less than 4 dollars a day. A manufacturing worker over here makes between $900 to $1800 pesos a week depending on factory and shift. A liter of the cheapest type of gasoline (at least where I live) is over $14.

This government has proven time and time again that they don't know how to handle bad situations (Ayotzinapa, Tlatlaya and now this). They could've increased the gas prices with a minor increase each month and now one would've said anything. They had an increase in tax collection of 35% from 2015, and we don't know where all that money is going to. Also, for every $16 pesos per liter of gasoline, $6 is taxes, which is loving insane. I know the government couldn't keep the subsidies to gas forever, but when they are collecting that much tax money on it, there's no reason to not be mad.

I'm starting to think that PRI (the ruling party) believes they are still in 1970 and no one would say anything about them stealing money from the budget and doing poo poo about actually governing the loving country.

I actually like the reforms they have done, and the energy reform was really needed. But the execution and their handling of critical situations makes you go :negative:

Rival parties are having a field day with this, even if they voted YES for these same reforms 3 years ago.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Freezer posted:

Totally agreeing with El chingon(heh). This has been my interpretation of the situation as well, they should have done gradual changes.

The way it played out, there was a lot of pent up inflationary pressure due to the peso diving, and this has given everyone the de-facto go ahead to hike prices by 20ish percent. Even tortilla and bread producers are hiking.

Add the Trump factor and this year has quite a bit of potential to be a shitshow in Mexico.

Yep, and now with the imminent NAFTA renegotiation, I hope the polititians have the balls to stand their ground and show what's at stake. I still don't believe Trump will put a 35% tax on imports from Mexico, as it would only allow other countries to export goods to the US instead of Mexico, but we all have been wrong before regarding Trump, so who knows.

Badger of Basra posted:

I mean they're not wrong, are they? Aren't they still the most popular party :v:

The next ruling party will not be PRI, I can almost guarantee it. The question is who will win the next election? PAN or MORENA?

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Siselmo posted:

To be fair, with the way other politicians/political parties are doing right now, he doesn't have to try very hard.

Plus, some of his followers are downright fanatics. Smear campaign aside, some people will call you a PRI/Televisa shill (or sheeple) if you even imply that you wouldn't vote for him/are not a supporter.

One family relative of mine worked in the Mexico City government and assisted to some cabinet meetings when AMLO was Mayor/Governor/Regent of Mexico City. He says he has never seen a more incompetent group of people trying to "govern" the city.

What's amazing to me is that 15 years later those people my relative mentioned are or have been delegates of many of the 16 delegations of Mexico City or are key guys in MORENA. May god help us if he is elected in '18.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Italian immigrant whose parents were from Montenegro? You learn something about Mexican History everyday.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

joepinetree posted:

People who want to understand Brazilian elites and the mutt complex have a good starting point in today's interview that the president of Andrade Gutierrez gave Folha. The first thing he talks about when explaining why he is disgusted by Dilma is her is "just look at her trying to speak French."

I can see that being said from the mexican elite also. These guys are so disconnected from their country's reality like no other elite in any other region of the world.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Guacamayo posted:

CROSS POSTING

This process could be seen online in the web page of the CNE. However at 5 pm, the webpage went down for about 20 min inexplicably. After it came back up, Lenin was ahead in the count. At the end of the day it was visible that Lenin, according to the info provided by the CNE, was going to be proclaimed the winner. CREO, the opposition party claimed that what had happened was impossible, and that it was looking into a lot of irregularities that had come up claiming that a lot of the actas that appeared up in the CNE webpage were forged and differed from the copies that CREO had in their posession.

Taking a page from the Mexican elections of 1988.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I doubt I'm the first to do so in this thread but I'm going to recommend "The Open Veins of Latin America" to anyone who is (reasonably) confused at how could South America turn out so hosed up in comparison to [insert other place here].

In Mexico we call that book the bible of the Left. Haven't read it though :(

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
So Marco Aurelio Garcia is dead, he didn't have many fans here in Mexico because he is one of the main architects of the Brazilian policy of the last 2 decades that clashed so much with Mexico's foreign policy in Latin America. I wonder what people in Brazil think of him.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
so what's the deal with the lost submarine in Argentina? was it negligence on the poor state of the navy? Or the submarine was secretly carrying the invasion plans of Uruguay and the government is all :doh: about it?

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
They interviewed Christina's lawyer in the mexican radio, he is certain those charges won't hold in the court and are just made up by Macri's government. How true is that?

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
Why can't we all agree that the latin american left governments have been a disaster for the last two decades?

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Never saw this coming, and I'm happy I didn't

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Zikan posted:

it’s looking more and more likely in the Honduran presidential election that the conservative party rigged the elections after finding out they were going to lose

https://twitter.com/jakobjohnston/status/943171121012183041

I guess no one believes this was a fair win. Although I don't remember which side is backed by the US.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean reading up on it Bolivia has the same turbo charged left government then Venezuela has and is doing relatively well. It seems like there were a lot of factors at play, such as the corruption difference between the two countries, leadership, and having the entire economy depend on one single resource.

It was pretty difficult to gently caress the country more than it already was. Also, they've had the same president for the past decade and seems we will have more Evo for the time being, I don't know if this is considered dictatorial. I used to hang out with a community of Bolivian expats while working in Lima and they all talked poo poo about their government.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

What do people think of AMLO in Mexico? I read this article on him and it was good

He is the most popular presidential candidate, but it is due to the total incompetence of the last 3 administrations than anything else. The debate has been diluted to "we want to try something else even if it turns out to be worse" as people are really frustrated.

AMLO has some really crazy ideas and no substance in my opinion. He proposes very populist things like cancelling the new Mexico City Airport (very much needed) as it is a waste of money that could go to social programs for the poor. He said 2 years ago that the government should fund the construction for 5 oilrefineries (he has now said 2 is enough) even though the oil production has been in a steep decline, they would cost a fortune and would take 10 years to build (we don't really know if there will be any oil in a decade to refine).

Also, something that his opposition is really milking is some of his staff's ties to the Venezuela regime (AMLO denies this, but there's evidence of his staff visiting Venezuela for meetings with government staff and forums organized in Mexico where some of the speakers are tied to the Venezuela regime).

Even though I'm not a big fan of him, I'm starting to feel like due to the complete ineptitude/corruption of the current administration, he has a real chance of winning. That divisive rhetoric between poor-rich always works wonders in Latin America.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

ArnieD posted:

OMG not to the POOR!!!

I'm not making GBS threads on you, just thought it sounded funny how is phrased as a negative to have social programs for the poor (unless you really meant it like that)

I agree with some of what you say, but I’ll probably vote for AMLO anyway. I can’t bring myself to vote for the other two or three candidates, and not voting will probably just make it easier for PRI to fix the elections, at least I want them to struggle a little to eliminate my vote.

By the way, what's the evidence that AMLO supports Maduro? I’m genuinely asking, I haven't really looked into it. All I know is that some collaborators said some positive things about Hugo Chavez and haven’t publicly denounced Maduro’s government… Even if they met with Venezuelan officials, jumping from there to AMLO will turn Mexico into Venezuela is ridiculous IMO, wouldn't he need the support of the army for that in the first place?

A lot of the fears and propaganda against AMLO I think is kind of stupid also, they talk like Mexico is Sweden and AMLO will come to destroy our beautiful society. Where do this people think they live? the country is in horrible shape.

Here are some links I found googling it from different news outlets:

http://www.excelsior.com.mx/nacional/2018/01/17/1214250

https://www.animalpolitico.com/2017/05/venezuela-morena-apoyo/ (MORENA said this is fake news btw, but Hector Diaz from Morena can be clearly seen in the pictures)

http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/nacional/dirigente-de-morena-llama-a-integrar-a-mexico-a-la-revolucion-bolivariana.html

I agree the country is in bad shape, but It can also be in a worse situation.

I don't mind government spending on social programs, but they have to be really well focused and not used as a propaganda tool as they have been (PROSPERA comes to mind) in which we have invested billions throughout the years with little results. You can't attract foreign investment when you say you would cancel the construction of the airport and when the current one has been over capacity for the last 20 years.

Finally, I have lived in Mexico City all my life. The current collapsed state of infrastructure and security is totally their fault(including AMLO) for not planning for the future and just spending on programs (butchering the budget of several government institutions to pay for them) that would give them immediate results and more importantly, votes.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Siselmo posted:

I did preparatoria in a very expensive school (I had a scholarship) and there was a sizable amount of students who were part of a PAN youth group. They are less "Anaya good, AMLO evil" and more creepy rich super religious young adults.

This is so true, I also studied "prepa" in an expensive catholic school.

I fear that whoever wins the election, it's going to leave the country as divided as the US is with Trump.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

rgocs posted:

I knew there was somewhere I could vent in these dead gay forums.

I am slowly losing respect for some of my family members and friends due to stream of anti-AMLO "amarillista" crap they post. They support Anaya, but they can't seem to be able to post anything positive about him, it's all about pushing AMLO fear. Same stupid poo poo I recall when Calderón won ("AMLO es un peligro para México", etc), but now even pushing the Russians story :rolleyes:

(Un?)Fortunately I'm living abroad and don't use FB often, so I can sort of tune out the stupid.

This is still kept to social networks in a passive aggressive way, you will not argue face to face about politics with friends and colleagues yet.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And here are AMLO's 7 Economic Strategies

1. Increase Minimal Wage 15.6% per year

2. Universal pension for old people at the tune of 1500 MXN (roughly $70), this means an average of 78k millions of pesos (roughly $39k millions) per year. And Pensions for young people without work or study in two tiers 3600 MXN ($180) and 2400 MXN ($120), analysts calculate a budget of 109,490 MXN millions of pesos ($55 million) per year.

3. Freezing Combustible prices.

4. Reduce Border Tariffs

5. No raise in taxes

6. Keep the Autonomy of Banco de México

7. Keep NAFTA

https://expansion.mx/economia/2018/07/03/7-propuestas-economicas-que-implementara-amlo-como-presidente?internal_source=PLAYLIST

so, where will the money come from? freezing gas prices will always favor the rich more than the poor.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I just learned that Obrador has designed Marcelo Ebrard as his Foreign Relations Secretary. Ebrard was also his successor as Mayor and one who was severely criticized by cutting corners in the construction of the most ambitious Subway Line, project that was a failure, constantly being out of service during its first year of service.

I read about this, didn't like it but I knew it was coming. That subway line was a complete disaster and a money black hole, no wonder when all of it came to light, he escaped to France. I didn't vote for AMLO, but I'm willing to give him a chance, but some of the people that surround him are real scum.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Rime posted:

A farewell to Brazil, country of broken dreams

Good article from the G&M Latin America bureau reflecting on the rapid decline during their five years in Brazil, and moving the office to Mexico.

That's a tough read indeed.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This weekend AMLO will do a National Query to decide if the construction of the New Mexican City Airport (NAICM in Spanish) continues or if his proposal of refitting an old Military Airbase goes ahead.

Every single study and specialist consulted agrees that the NAICM is the best option not only because is actually designed to tackle all the needs that will arise in the coming years but because there's been such an investment on it already that canceling it would be very bad for the country's finances. AMLO however, refuses to state a definitive posture about it and the query is quite frankly, very poorly planned, with few urns and localized at public plazas that will limit the assistance from the people.

There's also rampant rumors about the whole thing being pushed by one of AMLO's sponsor that lost the contract to the NAICM and is pretty much throwing a fit, demanding the whole thing to be canceled plus AMLO's team including infamous individuals known by their acts on PRI's electoral frauds over the past two decades.

IMO, he doesn't have the balls to take the political cost of going with one decision or another (I believe he already made his decision). So he will shield it saying the people have chosen. That's poor governing if you ask me. I'm not saying that corruption should not be investigated in case it exists with this project, but nobody will invest in large scale projects if there's risk they are going to be cancelled after 3 years. Latin Americans Can't have nice things indeed.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Freezer posted:

I always found the concept of getting rid of the current airport in order to get NAICM going was kind of dumb (both aren't compatible to operate at the same time), when the second terminal is still new-ish. It would have modified the approach cone so that I didn't have airplanes going over my neighborhood 24/7, which would be a big plus for me but probably a big minus for some other chump.

Either way, didn't vote because I was out of town and don't care a whole lot about it, both option have big downsides. I just hope that this doesn't go the route of the Querétaro train, and at the end of the day we get nothing at all.

The second terminal doesn't really help a lot when you still have the same number of runways. The new airport was designed to have a maximum of 6 runways I think (don't quote me on that), which would have increased the number of take off/landing operations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Remember how one of AMLO's campaign promises was to remove the army from the streets?

Well, this Tuesday Morena will present a proposal to modify the Constitution to give the newly announced National Guard complete and permanent faculties to patrol the streets, stop felonies and even arrest people.

https://www.animalpolitico.com/2018/11/morena-reforma-ejercito-vigilar-calles-detener-civiles/

I'm always legit worried when rulers give more power to the army.