Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Sure every other foreign intervention in Haiti justified on humanitarian grounds has been has wound up being a horrible disaster in the long run that was really all about naked imperial oppression, but this time is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

i fly airplanes posted:

"Naked imperial oppression" from the richest country in the Americas against the poorest country? Heavy rhetoric here.
So you are saying the US being wealthy makes it less likely to oppress a poor country like Haiti? That's an uh, interesting perspective.

i fly airplanes posted:

Saying the US launched a coup in Bolivia through OAS while ignoring the clear context of Evo Morales seeking unprecedented terms and shutting down opposition and media—do you think the rest of Latin America wanted a repeat act of Maduro? Who do you think forms the OAS?
So you supported an OAS/American-backed coup that installed literal Christian fundamentalist fascists? Yikes, that makes your posts make a lot more sense.

https://jacobin.com/2019/12/bolivia-coup-evo-morales-jeanine-anez

I know its hard to accept, but contrary to what you learned in social studies, the US historically, and within recent history, have not been the good guys in LatAm.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

SlothfulCobra posted:

A lot of talk about the US being the great devil responsible for all the world's evils, not a lot of talk about Haiti, which is still in genuine crisis.

It'd be great if Haiti could have an election to get a popular government together, but I don't see how that can happen when it's not safe to travel through parts of the country, and multiple gangs controlling territory where they are already murdering with impunity. Hard to see how things could get worse.

Haiti had already been relying on international aid, but now they can't receive or distribute aid at all, so the international community can either shrug off Haiti or they can try more complex involvement
Here's the thing: Given historical and recent context on how interventions have gone, what basis do you have to genuinely believe an intervention would make it better?

Yes its a bad situation, but it can always become worse. An intervention would be justified if only a clear-headed and honest (lol) analysis would show that it would likely suceed. I haven't seen any evidence why that would be the case given ample contrary experience.

It's completely bizarre that some people (and mods) in this thread have decided that cultural and historical context don't exist. It strikes of motivated reasoning.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Eric Cantonese posted:

Has Cuba volunteered to lead a force? Haiti sounds like one of those situations where you end up having to hope for the “least horrible” option to prevail.
So, once again I ask (not to you in particular): What makes you think armed intervention by the US, given its track record everywhere but in Haiti in particular, is the least worst option.

Staluigi posted:

guess I have to say for the record that this isn't true for the same reasons discussed last time when people were theorycrafting such amazing takes as "why not send the Swiss Guard??"

Don't throw absolutes like this into a discussion that needs more nuance and less of this obvious thing where the commentary centers ideological disfavor for America as the most important cause and makes Haiti or what is happening to people there an incidental topic heirarchically underneath that primary goal.
Many of us our skeptical of US intervention for pretty good reasons! gently caress off with your disingenuous policing of this conversation, you don't even have a grey star.

i fly airplanes posted:

"but America is the biggest warlord of them all!"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-63707429.amp

By the way, neighboring Dominican Republic started deporting enmasse people suspected to be Haitian (black, obviously) and the only people who spoke against it was the UN HCR and the US.
The US is a global superpower, the DR is not. This isn't hard. How is internal conduct of the DR (however bad) related to what we are talking about here? This is a total strawman. Care to respond to my previous non-strawman comment calling out your support of literal white supremacist fascists?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 7, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Scratch a liberal, etc. This is really an astonishing position, given that the coup government were literal fascists who were responsible for much violence. Justice must be done to deter future right-wing coups, and once again the US is on the wrong side.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/22/peru-police-make-violent-raid-on-limas-san-marcos-university

Peruvian police forced students at the Universidad de San Marcos out of their dorms at gunpoint, many in their pajamas, then ransacked their rooms. Sounds like a number of students were brutally assaulted and injured.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Yeah, the Marshall plan wasn’t done because we were nice guys, it was done to build up Western Europe against the soviets. If it were done for altruistic reasons, it would have included Eastern Europe. The fact that it helped some people was just a side effect.

Edit: I retract this post.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 28, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Turns out Pablo Neruda was actually murdered via botulinum toxin just after Pinochet's coup. Also he was a rapist (which was apparently common knowledge, but I had no idea).

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/14/forensic-study-finds-chilean-poet-pablo-neruda-was-poisoned-says-nephew

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Drone_Fragger posted:

I dont even think thats tubgirl is it?
It's a tubgirl, at least.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

There's a drag queen in Colombia called Shakiro, I wonder what their opinion is?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Argentina is a great place to live if you aren't getting paid in pesos.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Christ he looks like poo poo in that video. End of a coke binge kinda vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Sebastián Piñera just died in the traditional billionaire fashion:

https://twitter.com/LANACION/status/1754945289058697279