Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Recently I played Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara with a buddy of mine. I can't believe I'd never heard of it before, it's a lot of fun, and all the classes have unique spells and abilities. It's pretty good, but my favorite will always be Streets of Rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

castle crashers

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

• Streets of Rage 2
  • Dynasty Warriors
  • Sengoku Basara
  • Muramasa
  • Dragon's Crown
  • Odin Sphere

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

golden axe 2
turtles in time
castle crashers

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
Final Fight, Splatterhouse, River City Ransom

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

• Dynasty Warriors

if this counts i change my answer to devil may cry 3

i forgot about river city ransom, there are too many op

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Streets of Rage Remake
the first stage of Battletoads in Battlemaniacs

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

shatterhand

double dragon

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Castle Crashers
Golden Axe II or III (whichever one had the panther man)
Alien Storm
Shatterhand
TMNT: Turtles in Time

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

The warriors

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
does god hand count

because god hand

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Ask your self, "are you beating 'em up?"
If so its a beat 'em up. DmC would be a stylish action game technically, but who gives a gently caress. Lot of good choices here, some I have heard of even. Castle crashers is probably the best modern example of the genre.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie Featuring Ivan Ooze

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Adding to my list then

God Hand
Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Psycobladder posted:

Recently I played Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara with a buddy of mine. I can't believe I'd never heard of it before, it's a lot of fun, and all the classes have unique spells and abilities. It's pretty good, but my favorite will always be Streets of Rage.

have you played the SoR 3d classic on 3ds? it's good

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Psycobladder posted:

Ask your self, "are you beating 'em up?"
If so its a beat 'em up. DmC would be a stylish action game technically, but who gives a gently caress. Lot of good choices here, some I have heard of even. Castle crashers is probably the best modern example of the genre.

by this logic basically every videogame is a beat em up, like how every game is an rpg if you only count "do you level up" as a requirement

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Streets of Rage Remake is the best modern beat em up. It's actually fairly different from the games it remakes.

AvP arcade is the best AvP game ever made and an excellent beat em up, too.

Mystara rocks, too.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Streets of Rage Remake combined like 3 Streets of Rage Games into One package And It Was extremely good. It got a cease and desist from Sega because they were releasing a SoR game on iphone but you can still find it on the internet.

My favorite character is the kangaroo.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
double dragon 2 and streets of rage 2

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
UFO Kamen Yakisoban: Kettler no Kuroi Inbō is pretty cool too. Thread made me dig out the old genesis 6 in 1 and rock some SoR. Shoutouts to forgetting not to hit A.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BLWfcEJSzo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

darealkooky posted:

does god hand count

because god hand

not that God Hand's a bad game but uhhhh do you not have friends

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

darealkooky posted:

by this logic basically every videogame is a beat em up, like how every game is an rpg if you only count "do you level up" as a requirement

Sure, if you want to get semantical, but I don't think anyone here has misinterpreted what a beat 'em up is. So STFU. I bet you like to get into debates about what stupid metal genre bands fall into.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Does Ninja Warriors count

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

I did not know there was a SoR remake, or even a 3, I will have to check that out.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Psycobladder posted:

I did not know there was a SoR remake, or even a 3, I will have to check that out.

the SoR Remake was a fan game but it's real good. the base gameplay is more or less identical.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

streets of rage remake is pro as gently caress, there was an unofficial patch made some time ago

violent storm is the absolutest poo poo of the genre, i used to have a replay in hd from longplays.org on my tablet, just to pop it up from time to time and look at this awesome game, there's always something crazy going on in the background, the special moves are smooth to perform and the music just makes you want to smash some punk metalheads

metamorphic force is close second, but it gets kinda boring near the end

avp was good but also repetitive as all hell, same for armoured warriors, i dunno capcom beatem ups always looked great and played good up until half point

on pc there was that low budget 3d figting force-like game from italy called the rage, it was absolute trash but me and friends loved it, all textures were *.bmp's, so we got creative with making the heroes look like complete retards with pink hair and poo poo stained trousers, i think also their stats were stored as plain text, but maybe that was another game

oh and there were the executioners for dos, i dunno if anyone ever completed it, but one of the guys who made it later went to work on watch dogs

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

SeXReX posted:

UFO Kamen Yakisoban: Kettler no Kuroi Inbō is pretty cool too. Thread made me dig out the old genesis 6 in 1 and rock some SoR. Shoutouts to forgetting not to hit A.

6 in 1 was great. Accidentally calling the cops ~10 seconds into the first level is a rite of passage

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

The Warriors game was a lot of fun in Rumble mode but I'm not sure if it counts because it's not the classic 2d side scroll punch quest

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
anarchy reigns is a fun beat them up but sadly the online player count dropped very quickly

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if you're not punching the bro next to you for stealing your pizza, it's not a beat em up

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Looper posted:

if you're not punching the bro next to you for stealing your pizza, it's not a beat em up

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm a big fan of Final Fight

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Honorable mentions to The Simpsons Beat 'em Up at the movie theatre

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
beating u up irl

"Inside that guy's suffocating flesh, there was a skeleton like me screaming to
get out. I was only too happy to set him free."

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Athropos posted:

beating u up irl

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Athropos posted:

beating u up irl

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
the avp one is choice but that was mentioned so uh the bouncer for the style points

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
punisher
ninja baseball batmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

elf help book posted:

ninja baseball batmen

you never played this you goddamn liar

i like dynasty warriors and streets of rage 2, streets of rage 1 was cool how you could kill the villain and then take over his organization. was that in the original or was it added for the sega cd? i still feel bad about that, i played it with my dad and then chose to become the new villain and beat up his character. my logic was he was on his last life

• Locked thread