Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yo, hit me with your favorite kitchen items goons. Specifically things that make life easier

I have some decent ceramic knives, nice set of silverware, cutting boards, couple lovely pots and pans, nice bowls, and a nice blender plus some barebones poo poo like plates and a couple pots. Trying to cook more and eat healthy etc. Love making salads. Should probably invest in a good skillet.

Sous vide machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

king of the bongo posted:

How do you travel (plane, train, automobile?) and how many clothes and junk do you take when you travel. You mention carrying the contents of a big suitcase and then linked to a 6" deep bag. If you want to haul a bunch of stuff get a hiking pack like deuter or a messenger backpack from reload bags. I have bags from both and the deuter backpack (I have a regular speedlite30 one not a big hiking pack) is slim and can carry a lot without a sweaty back. The reload bag is a workhorse that has been in a few bicycle accidents and multiple international trips and is still going and is massive if you get the larger sizes.

I travel by plane, car, and bus.

I pack light, so I think any of the recommended bags would be big enough. I don't really need a hiking-style bag for the amount of stuff I need to haul.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yo, hit me with your favorite kitchen items goons. Specifically things that make life easier

I have some decent ceramic knives, nice set of silverware, cutting boards, couple lovely pots and pans, nice bowls, and a nice blender plus some barebones poo poo like plates and a couple pots. Trying to cook more and eat healthy etc. Love making salads. Should probably invest in a good skillet.

Do you like to make stews and curries but don't want to wait hours and hours (I actually didn't intend for this to sound like an infomercial when I started writing it)?

A Pressure Cooker is actually amazingly useful. I was first introduced to pressure cookers by my wife who is of Indian origin for making curries quickly and easily while still getting nice soft meat. I've since started using it for stews and even pasta sauces when I'm including sausage / pork chops. The thing is amazing and is easy to use.

You don't need a fancy one, and can get them starting at about $50. My wife had ours when we met 10 years ago, and we're still using it today.

e: If you want a starter recipe, just PM me and I can give you a very easy and tasty one that I make a variation of at least twice a month.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I should have prefaced by saying I'm looking for easy to make, cheap, edible stuff. Of course I enjoy taste but I'm lazy/impatient and not trying to be the next best chef here. Also need lunches to go often.

1redflag posted:

If you don't have a few nice (I.e. $5) wooden spoons and a small and large cast iron pan , get those. I use them every single day. Also, a steamer insert for a 2qt pot is a good way to eat more green vegetables. I'd also recommend a cheap roasting pan and tray; you can cook a whole chicken for real cheap and it will last you a whole week (and be healthy).

Also, an electric kettle is super convenient if you have gas ranges, as boiling water on gas takes forever.

Cast iron pan is just a skillet eh? Anyone link me some good ones on amazon? Lots of options. Can someone give me a quick run down on the seasoning poo poo and maintaining it easily. I can also get a big skillet instead of a roasting pan, no? Do most people get a skillet set or just one good one and use it for everything?

I didn't think of wooden spoons. My mom has had the same ones for at least 20 years. Thanks of the recommendations!

Etrips posted:

Sous vide machine.

Now that's fancy

PotatoManJack posted:

Do you like to make stews and curries but don't want to wait hours and hours (I actually didn't intend for this to sound like an infomercial when I started writing it)?

A Pressure Cooker is actually amazingly useful. I was first introduced to pressure cookers by my wife who is of Indian origin for making curries quickly and easily while still getting nice soft meat. I've since started using it for stews and even pasta sauces when I'm including sausage / pork chops. The thing is amazing and is easy to use.

You don't need a fancy one, and can get them starting at about $50. My wife had ours when we met 10 years ago, and we're still using it today.

e: If you want a starter recipe, just PM me and I can give you a very easy and tasty one that I make a variation of at least twice a month.

Yeah these are always recommended and seem like they're a must. Not too big on soups right now but the idea of throwing a bunch of chopped up poo poo and other random stuff into a pot and then forgetting it sounds appealing.

Probably gonna get one of these, heh

http://www.amazon.com/Freshware-KT-...asin=B00FWLJOSG

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Jan 23, 2015

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Chinaman7000 posted:

Yeah I know, I was fishing for a specific recommendation.

I've had this thing for a couple years:
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-TM70-3-Quart-Maker/dp/B001J5FN48/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421976170&sr=8-2&keywords=iced+tea+maker
It's easy to use and stays mostly clean. The basket you put tea in can get gross (especially if you forget and leave tea bags in for a while), but a run through the dish washer cleans it right up. I usually use about half the amount of ice suggested. A couple Amazon reviews say it drips, but I make sure the pitcher is pushed up close and have never had a problem.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I should have prefaced by saying I'm looking for easy to make, cheap, edible stuff. Of course I enjoy taste but I'm lazy/impatient and not trying to be the next best chef here. Also need lunches to go often.

Cast iron pan is just a skillet eh? Anyone link me some good ones on amazon? Lots of options. Can someone give me a quick run down on the seasoning poo poo and maintaining it easily. I can also get a big skillet instead of a roasting pan, no? Do most people get a skillet set or just one good one and use it for everything?

I'd recommend you get an 8" Lodge cast iron and a 12" Lodge cast iron. They'll be about $15 and $25, respectively on Amazon. Seasoning is pretty easy; heat some bacon or other oily meat (or even just oil) in the pan a few times, and simply wipe clean with a paper towel once it cools down a bit, use a little bit of oil for everytime you cook until you can tell you won't need it anymore, and never wash the pan (just wipe clean when done cooking) and NEVER USE SOAP.

As for a roasting pan, you could use the skillet, but honestly, they are pretty cheap and you will be better off with a purpose driven roasting pan in the long run if you really are interested in cooking for yourself

Edit: also, make sure you have a few pot holders (and a trivet or two). Cast irons get hot as gently caress on the stove and in the oven.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Jan 23, 2015

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

1redflag posted:

I'd recommend you get an 8" Lodge cast iron and a 12" Lodge cast iron. They'll be about $15 and $25, respectively on Amazon. Seasoning is pretty easy; heat some bacon or other oily meat (or even just oil) in the pan a few times, and simply wipe clean with a paper towel once it cools down a bit, use a little bit of oil for everytime you cook until you can tell you won't need it anymore, and never wash the pan (just wipe clean when done cooking) and NEVER USE SOAP.

As for a roasting pan, you could use the skillet, but honestly, they are pretty cheap and you will be better off with a purpose driven roasting pan in the long run if you really are interested in cooking for yourself

In addition to these you should also check out a Lodge dutch oven. I got the 6qt recently and it's been incredibly useful for a curry and a lentil soup. It's cast iron as well but it's enameled so you don't have to bother with the seasoning business.

There's a comparison between the Lodge and the way more expensive Le Creuset here.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

1redflag posted:

Edit: also, make sure you have a few pot holders (and a trivet or two). Cast irons get hot as gently caress on the stove and in the oven.

Just what I was looking for, thanks. I got some sweet off-brand (better?) ove gloves :cmon: trivet looks handy though I'll probably get at least one. I also forgot to mention I have a gas stove which is probably better for a skillet I assume

So never wash the pan eh? Anytime I cook something greasy like bacon just pour the grease into a trap you just wipe clean? That's it? And I can cook literally anything on it eh? Eggs in particular. Sorry for the dumb questions I'm terrible and new to this poo poo

I use coconut cooking oil that'll do eh?

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Jan 23, 2015

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Just what I was looking for, thanks. I got some sweet off-brand (better?) ove gloves :cmon: trivet looks handy though I'll probably get at least one. I also forgot to mention I have a gas stove which is probably better for a skillet I assume

So never wash the pan eh? Anytime I cook something greasy like bacon just pour the grease into a trap you just wipe clean? That's it? And I can cook literally anything on it eh? Eggs in particular. Sorry for the dumb questions I'm terrible and new to this poo poo

I use coconut cooking oil that'll do eh?

Yep, all sounds good. Although I would recommend you get a nonstick pan for eggs. They stick like crazy even with butter until you get your skillet really seasoned, and they absorb flavors really easy (and since you won't be washing your cast iron very often, there will be a lot of loose flavors hanging around). Any brand is fine, to be honest, just don't ever use metal utensils on a nonstick lest you scratch the Teflon (which will cause it flake and go in your food).

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Now that's fancy

Sounds fancy, but it is stupid easy and perfect for the lazy cook (me). This is the Anova kickstarter to show you how it works video. And the Sous Vide Megathread. Everyone who cooks should own one of these things.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Jmcrofts posted:

No outdoors stuff, I travel a lot and have taken to throwing all my poo poo in a backpack rather than carrying around a big suitcase. Clothes and random junk, no laptop though. I've been using the same $30 backpack for like 5 years and it's starting to fall apart.

E: this guy caught my eye but I'm open to suggestions.

Bhodi posted:

Hit the ? and check out my posts about the Osprey Porter line.

I have an Osprey Momentum. While its not exactly what you are looking for, I can tell you without a doubt that Osprey makes some awesome loving packs. Look around their website, and then check out Amazon etc (I think I saved around 25% off list)

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Kusaru posted:

I've had this thing for a couple years:
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-TM70-3-Quart-Maker/dp/B001J5FN48/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421976170&sr=8-2&keywords=iced+tea+maker
It's easy to use and stays mostly clean. The basket you put tea in can get gross (especially if you forget and leave tea bags in for a while), but a run through the dish washer cleans it right up. I usually use about half the amount of ice suggested. A couple Amazon reviews say it drips, but I make sure the pitcher is pushed up close and have never had a problem.

Thank you, will give it a try.

edit: to add to backpack talk, I have an older version of this Brigg's and Riley one. Mine is more business styled than this new one, but I trust it's still a really good bag. I can't compare it to others and was originally interested in the Osprey Porter, but ended up just impulse buying this one at a store and still really like it after a few years of heavy use.

edit 2: Found a link that has the version I own.

Chinaman7000 has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Jan 23, 2015

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I didn't think of wooden spoons. My mom has had the same ones for at least 20 years. Thanks of the recommendations!
Chiming in just to say to not just get wooden spoons, but bamboo utensils. They're practically indestructible. I've had mine for over five years and aside from a little discoloration (from curry) they're as good as the day I got them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
It is totally fine to use soap on cast iron, what you want to avoid is letting it soak or going nuts on it with a scouring pad.

The no soap thing is a relic of when dish soap was way more caustic then it is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7BvEldVEHU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I need a replacement ski jacket. My initial looking around is sort of discouraging.

Do they still make things similar to like the race jackets from the 90s?

I have an old Spyder and like stuff like the tall, large diameter (so you can wear a hat and facewarmer or whatever) collar, removable or at least separate from the collar hood, the double zipper and almost knee-length so I can unzip the bottom to sit down, the billion pockets, and some zippered venting.

I know this is sort of specific, but looking around I don't really see any of these features, never mind all of them. Do they make poo poo like this any more or has outerwear moved on without me along with ski shapes?

RIP my 205's :smith:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

kinmik posted:

Chiming in just to say to not just get wooden spoons, but bamboo utensils. They're practically indestructible. I've had mine for over five years and aside from a little discoloration (from curry) they're as good as the day I got them.

Got it, thanks.

I see there's a ton of George Foreman grill options. Bit overwhelming.iThey sure have come a long way. Looking for a good all purpose one. You can buy different plate inserts.

George Foreman GRP90WGR Next Grilleration Electric Nonstick Grill with 5 Removable Plates https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A7W4Z2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_-C2Wub0RF5J1V
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A7W4Z2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_-C2Wub0RF5J1V

But this also caught my eye

Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler, 7.12 by 13.5 by 11.5-Inch, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YD99Y4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_3y2Wub16QSCS2
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YD99Y4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_3y2Wub16QSCS2

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 10:41 on Jan 24, 2015

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I'm looking for a case for my ipad air 2. I have a few things I'd like:
- I would like some kind of storage for a stylus
- I'd like it to be able to prop up the ipad for writing
- I'd like the ipad to be easily removable.

This is the best I've found so far. I don't like that the pen slot is exposed, though, and the ipad doesn't appear to be removable.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm also willing to compromise if I can't find anything. It seems like there's a "case" category and a "sleeve" category, the former not allowing removal of the ipad, and the latter not having any utility besides protecting the ipad.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Recommendation for a Bathroom Scale? The fiance and I are starting to eat healthy and want to track our losses.

I have this analog one from some big box store and I'm pretty sure it's off by ~5lbs. I'd like something digital and if possible the ability measure BMI (is that a thing?)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

m.hache posted:

Recommendation for a Bathroom Scale? The fiance and I are starting to eat healthy and want to track our losses.

I have this analog one from some big box store and I'm pretty sure it's off by ~5lbs. I'd like something digital and if possible the ability measure BMI (is that a thing?)

http://smile.amazon.com/EatSmart-Pr...ds=weight+scale

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
So, my cat chewed through the cable on my favorite headphones, and I thought I'd get wireless headphones while I'm at it (I use them for watching movies almost exclusively). Picked up a comfortable pair today, but they have a lovely as gently caress feature where the receiver stops sending sound to the phones when it drops below a set level. So any calm moment in a movie has it constantly cutting off.

Is this a common feature with wireless headphones or can someone recommend me a pair?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

davidspackage posted:

So, my cat chewed through the cable on my favorite headphones, and I thought I'd get wireless headphones while I'm at it (I use them for watching movies almost exclusively). Picked up a comfortable pair today, but they have a lovely as gently caress feature where the receiver stops sending sound to the phones when it drops below a set level. So any calm moment in a movie has it constantly cutting off.

Is this a common feature with wireless headphones or can someone recommend me a pair?

That is not normal. Maybe your wifi channels are overcrowded? I know when my wife is using her wireless headphones on her computer and my router switches to channel 11, her headphones will cut out. In case you don't find an answer here, Headphone Megathread

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'll have a look over there, thanks. It is a specific feature of these phones, mentioned in the little manual. Not, of course, on the outside of the box. :negative:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Going to a queen from a full (Casper mattress) recommend me some nice sheets ya'll

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Going to a queen from a full (Casper mattress) recommend me some nice sheets ya'll

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sheets-new/

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking for a good brush or tool for my shedding long haired dog.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You just have all the answers don't you

Thanks gonna look into these!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What are some good binoculars?

I'm willing to spend a few hundred bucks, I want something powerful with good image quality. These will be in a 4x4, so durability is also nice, though of the three (zoom, IQ, durability), I'd assign it the lowest priority.

Thanks y'all!

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Looking for a good brush or tool for my shedding long haired dog.

The Furminator

These things are boss as hell and have a button to self clean so even with a furry rear end dog you can just keep going and not have to mess with plucking out wads of hair.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Anyone with a pet needs to get a rubber broom

Everholder FURemover Broom https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EFDOOA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_yiw0ub1M3YRK3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EFDOOA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_yiw0ub1M3YRK

I don't have a pet but it still rules on hardwood

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
In the last thread someone suggested a wallet that I really liked, but I can't track down the brand anymore. Wallets are asked about often so it's hard to search through the old thread, so I'm hoping someone here knows what I'm lookin gfor.

This wallet was a super slim wallet made of titanium. It was basically a titanium frame with a band that would wrap around cards and cash. That's about all I got...

Anyone know what the hell I'm thinking of?

Edit: I think the titanium frame itself could be used to like open a bottle or something. I know there are lots of similar options, but I loved the look of this one brand.

Jewce has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Feb 4, 2015

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Jewce posted:

In the last thread someone suggested a wallet that I really liked, but I can't track down the brand anymore. Wallets are asked about often so it's hard to search through the old thread, so I'm hoping someone here knows what I'm lookin gfor.

This wallet was a super slim wallet made of titanium. It was basically a titanium frame with a band that would wrap around cards and cash. That's about all I got...

When I google titanium wallet I get a lot of pictures of titanium/aluminum frames/plates with bands wrapping around them. Would you recognize it by sight or do you need one from another thread by name? I even see one opening a bottle.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Jewce posted:

Edit: I think the titanium frame itself could be used to like open a bottle or something. I know there are lots of similar options, but I loved the look of this one brand.

I recommended the one from Machine Era earlier, it's solid aluminum and has an elastic band. No bottle opener per se, although I have used it as one in a pinch. It's held up very well, the elastic isn't stretched out or anything, and I get compliments on it frequently!

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I did search google and found both the ones mentioned, but they weren't the brand I initially saw. I appreciate the help though! I'm sure I'll come across it at some point.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Jewce posted:

Thanks for the responses. I did search google and found both the ones mentioned, but they weren't the brand I initially saw. I appreciate the help though! I'm sure I'll come across it at some point.

Humn? Fulcro? I like my ainste RFID one. It is not exactly what you mentioned but is close.

syrairc
Sep 13, 2006
wait what
Anyone have any recommendations for a toolbag with laptop storage? I currently just use a targus backpack, and keep my hand tools on a gridit organizer, but I hate backpacks and it's clearly not meant for what I'm using it for.

The only one I can find locally (so far) is Klein, and I don't like their backpack or toolbag, so I'm probably going to have to special order, or order online.

I'm carrying a 17" laptop, 2-3 2-way radios, various cables, various meters, label printer, and a bunch of hand tools.

I'm currently looking at the Veto Pro Pac XLT. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend a universal remote? TV is a Sony Bravia if that matters. I plan to hook it up to an old thinkpad for a home media system at some point.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Defenestration posted:

Can anyone recommend a universal remote? TV is a Sony Bravia if that matters. I plan to hook it up to an old thinkpad for a home media system at some point.

Think the golden standard are the logitech harmony ones. Not exactly sure on the model number though. I'm pretty sure we just had this recommendations the last few pages back though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: universal remotes, if you don't want a LCD screen or the ability to control every electronic device in your home I'd suggest a Harmony 350.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Geoj posted:

Re: universal remotes, if you don't want a LCD screen or the ability to control every electronic device in your home I'd suggest a Harmony 350.
I don't think I could get up to 8 devices unless I wanted to remote in my toaster for some reason. So yeah, this will do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I already have a 3L water bladder that I need a camelbak-esque pack for. Do they sell just packs anywhere or am I doomed to get a camelbak with a bladder already inside? This is used for mountain biking so something that would go well with that.