Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Anyone have any recommendations for Tshirts that are kind of nerdy but aren't too nerdy? Stuff like Last Exit to Nowhere has but that doesn't cost me like $40 in shipping. I'm in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've been incredibly happy with my tubes of Burts Bees chapstick. I even put one through the wash and it survived!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

hamsystem posted:

I was looking at these too. Have you worn them with glasses of any kind and how comfortable is it?

I haven't worn these with glasses but I have ridden them with bike helmet and they are super comfortable. They're my go to wireless headphones.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Make sure your existing monitor is hooked up through either hdmi or dvi and running at the correct resolution first. Could be something as easy as that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've got a set of revere ware pots and pans that were my dad's in college and they are still going strong like 40 years later. The only reason I kind of want to replace them is that they're a little warped and don't work too great on glass cook tops nowadays.

I checked out modern revere ware but it's like tinfoil thickness compared to my stuff. Very disappointing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Inspector 34 posted:

Are there any decent generic tv stands? I mean the type that actually bolt onto the tv, not just a thing you set the tv on. I upgraded tvs recently and now have a 65" Samsung that I've lost the OEM stand for. I had it mounted on the wall in our living room, but the new TV has that mount occupied, and the place I want to put the old one isn't really conducive to a wall mount at all.

Look for "VESA TV stand". VESA mounts are what use the 4 holes on the back of the TV. After a quick google search, it looks like Walmart sells one for $35.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Get a Bellroy wallet.

My friend and I have the Hide & Seek and love them. My brother also has one, although I can't remember which, and he loves it too.

I've had mine for 3 or 4 years at this point and other than imprints in the leather from the things I keep in it, it's basically in like new condition. No tears, stitching coming out, fading or anything. It's also quite slim.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've read the Leesa may have a layer of foam that wears out after a few years, but they haven't been around long enough to know if that's the case or not.

Other than that one possible issue, I've read the Casper is more firm than the Leesa. Both are not good if you weigh over 250 pounds. That's apparently an issue with foam mattresses in general. Also, they have terrible edge strength because they're foam. So sitting on the side of the bed is kind of weird.

That's all I've gathered from reading reviews online. I think I might pick up a Casper in the near future but maybe not.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have 2 WASD codes with clears. One 60% for home use and a 100% for work. I have o-rings on both and they're pretty loving quiet with all the enjoyment of a mechanical keyboard. Plus it fits right in in a business setting since it's just a sleek black design

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just watch anime with subtitles. Problem solved.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My friend, my brother, and myself all have belroys and they kick rear end. Would definitely buy again. I think they would too.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I use my cellphone :effort:

I've heard really good things about this alarm and it's currently 25% off!

Philips Wake-Up Light with Colored Sunrise Simulation alarm clock & sunset fading night light, White HF3520 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093162RM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_S-rHAbR110N7X

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The quadlock system is the strongest and most convenient mount. The only downside is you need to adhere the universal mounting square to the back of your phone but it's unobtrusive. It also keeps temperatures down on your phone since it gets good airflow. That might just be a Texas problem though.

I use mine for my bikes, car, and have a tripod adapter for taking pictures with my phone. It works amazingly well and I get a lot of people with the bulkier clamp or bag mounts asking me about it when I do group rides.

There's three kinds of quadlock bike mounts, stem mounts, out-front mounts, and a new pivoting handlebar mount which I have no experience with. I prefer the out-front mounts bit I know people with the stem mount and it works good too. It just depends on your preference and cockpit setup.

E: I've used mine with a Moto X and Pixel (1st gen of both)

SpartanIvy has a new favorite as of 14:16 on Apr 27, 2018

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have a very specific need for a product that I am having trouble finding.

Basically I have a record player that can output via bluetooth and 3.5mm jack. It can pair fine with my little bluetooth speakers, but I want to play the audio over my TVs (Samsung The Frame 2021) speakers. The TV notably does not have ANY audio inputs, only HDMI inputs, so there is no 3.5mm option available. The TV also has bluetooth but will not recognize the record player when I try to pair it. It doesn't even show up on the device discovery list. It looks like the TV is only setup to use bluetooth to connect to input devices like keyboards, mice, and controllers, and output to bluetooth soundbars.

So I think what I need is some device that can adapt 3.5mm or bluetooth audio to an HDMI output, but I'm having a difficult time finding anything. When you search for a combination of HDMI, Bluetooth, or 3.5MM, the results are a million devices for using bluetooth headphones with older TV's.

Does anyone have any idea if such a product exists? I had a friend with a high end audio receiver like 20 years ago that was able to do this, so I assumed it would be like a $20 device these days.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Happiness Commando posted:

This RCA to HDMI converter seems like it will work with the proper 3.5mm to RCA audio cable
I think this is probably what I'm going to have to try, but I wonder if the TV will stay connected to the input without a video signal coming in. For $12 though I'll give it a shot though! Thanks!

Unfortunately this is the opposite of what I'm looking for. It splits the audio from an HDMI signal so that you can play it on a separate set of speakers.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Happiness Commando posted:

Good point. This HDMI audio embedder inserter maybe?

Edit: alternatively look into an "HDMI matrix" device for managing multiple inputs. That's just why I can glean from Google.

Good ideas. I think the audio embedder would still have issues, as it presumably needs an input video signal to output one, but maybe not? I wonder if anyone makes an HDMI dummy plug that just shows a splash screen or screensaver or something. The opposite of the "headless" plugs that spoof being a monitor.

I'm going to try the $12 option first and if that doesn't work I will have to ramp up my spending I guess.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Someone in the reviews suggests that the conversion can go the other way, but it's entirely possible that they're an idiot.

I assume if that actually worked, the product page would list it as a feature, but it specifically says it doesn't work backwards, so I'm guessing that reviewer is probably just a moron.

Comedy option: I found where someone turned a Raspberry Pi into what I'm looking for, but that seems like an extremely overcomplicated solution.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

thepopmonster posted:

As mentioned above you're probably best off looking for a VGA to HDMI with audio because that's a fairly common and hence cheap thing created to let laptops & computers talk to HDMI displays. You may also need a VGA signal generator so that it treats it as an active input:

https://www.amazon.com/Signal-Generator-Tester-Signals-Battery/dp/B093FW1PN6/

Per the manual https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202209/20220930095221952/OSNATSCA-8.4.0_EM_Oscar_Nike_Kant-SU2e_USA_ENG_220825.0.pdf you can sound mirror from a mobile device to the Frame, but that's basically all it says - probably needs SmartThings to mediate.

If you have an old phone or tablet with a 3.5mm jack you can probably get it done that way.

You know, this is loving ridiculous if you think about it. We're trying to figure out how to connect a connector that is, at a minimum, 40 years older than the device - (the Walkman used it in 1979, never mind that the original design for phono jacks dates back to 1877) and having to jump through all these hoops. Gotta loathe the RIAA.

I have successfully streamed from my phone to the TV. I didn't think of using that as a mediator between the record player and the TV, good idea. The VGA signal generator is also pretty clever. I've been trying to find a similar HDMI product and haven't been able to find one that's not over a hundred dollars. I have one of the "headless" HDMI plugs to spoof a monitor connection, but I wonder if it would work as the opposite?

And the absurdity has not been lost on me. When I was in college we did all kinds of crazy poo poo with S-Video, composite, and VGA adapters to get things to work. Now that everything is digital it's a nightmare to get devices to talk together if your use case isn't exactly what the manufacturers wanted.

Trabant posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but there's all kinds of fuckery with turntables specifically, such as whether yours has a built-in pre-amp. From what I understand, having one of those jacks doesn't necessarily mean it can output to speakers (even those that are powered, like in the TV) without additional amplification. There's a bunch of info about it out there, e.g. The vinyl thread could help too.

This might be old news, just thought I'd mention it in case it ends up sounding like butt when piped through the TV speakers.
That's a good point, and mine does have a pre-amp according to the literature, although I originally didn't think it did because it was so quiet :v:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

theflyingexecutive posted:

They're talking specifically about a phono preamp, which applies the RIAA equalization curve, which any turntable that outputs only 3.5mm and bluetooth would have.
That makes sense. FYI my player is the re-release of the Sound Burger. On the product site it states "Phono Pre-Amp Gain: 36 dB nominal, RIAA equalized"

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Update: the $12 composite to HDMI converter arrived and to my surprise, without a composite video input hooked up, the converter puts out "no signal" so the TV will accept it and still output the audio! Now I just need an amp to help normalize the output with other sources and I'm golden.

Thanks for everyone's help!

e: so now I need recommendations for cheap amplifiers :v:

SpartanIvy has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Jan 3, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I bought a Brother All-in-one laser in 2009 and used it infrequently for over a decade, only replacing the factory cartridge. I only got rid of it because my girlfriend moved in with her much newer model of the same printer. They "just work" and do so seemingly forever.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Phthisis posted:

Can you post a video or product page of one of these vacuum book scanners with page turner? This sounds fascinating and I'd love to see what one of these things looks like.

It looks like magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmhIJOqepVU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Brother Tadger posted:

Bicycle light recs?

Also, is there a dedicated thread for bike-related gear I should try instead?

Cygolites are my go to. They make a lot of different styles and which one is right for you depends on your needs and budget, but I have yet to come across a bad product from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
We have a Tatung 6 cup rice maker which is operationally identical to the black and decker posted above. It was important for us to find one that didn't use Teflon or another chemical coating and the Tatung is a simple stainless steel bowl that works great.

https://us.tatung.com/Product/1-Tatung%20Multi-Functional%20Cooker?c=White

E: they're asking a lot of money for these now