Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Nekodoshi posted:

Sleep cycle worked amazingly well when i still had my iPod before it got stolen. They dont seem to have as good an equivalent for android though, unless anyone here knows of one.

In addition to that, I work a job that requires me to walk/stand about 8 to 9 hours a day on concrete flooring, and i average about 3 miles a day (previosly mentioned android had a built in pedometer i didnt know about, go figure). My feet do something called pronating (sp?) Which causes my ankles to roll outwards when i walk. Im in horrific pain once i get off work and its making me hobble like an old woman. I had a pair of Nu Balances with a roll bar inside, but theyre torn to hell now. Any suggestions?

Sleep As Android will wake you up at a light point. You can also track your sleep cycle and other neat things if you pay the $3 or so for the full version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Does anyone know of any comfortable, warm slippers available in men's 11? Everything I've worn this far hasn't been warm enough even if they're as comfortable as could be. I need it to be a slipper I can occasionally slip on and wear outside for quick errands; temps here can get below freezing once in a while.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Get musher's wax. It's what sled dogs get on their paws, so it's meant for snow and salt protection.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

It sounds like something Dove would make, so I'd start there.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Lawen posted:

I have a pair of Baffin slippers that I like. They're like sleeping bags for your feet. I've had mine for like 2 years and they're holding up fine.

In a similar vein, looking for a new pair of gloves for the winter. Don't need anything particularly heavy duty. Touchscreen capability would be a big plus. Massdrop has ExOfficio Touchscreen Stretch gloves up right now that look pretty good (other than the branding, which is a little annoying), anyone have thoughts on those or another pair they'd recommend?

My wife got me these last year and they're pretty nice. They fit well, the touchscreen compatibility is good, and they're lightweight enough I can buy a thicker pair to go over them if I need to.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If you're looking for slippers, Costco has some nice warm ones for not much. Not gonna be as warm as real wool, but they'll work for most people and temps.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Something like this will be what you want.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I have this one and it works great.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm looking for a lightweight, hopefully water resistant, coat with hood that can fold into itself. One of the things I truly hate is being caught in cold rain and New Mexico's monsoon rains have been pretty chilly this year. That or I'm just getting more intolerant of the cold. I asked in YLLS's hiking thread but nobody answered.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

bongwizzard posted:

What's your budget and how packable do you need it to get? For around $100 the Marmot Precip is generally pretty well regarded. If you're willing to spend more are Arcteryx makes some that pack down incredibly tiny, but sacrifice a bit of durability.

$100 is a reasonable budget, so I'll go to REI when I have money and take a good look at it.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm trying to find a good airtight container for storing bulk rice. The last one we bought on Amazon had a foam seal that cracked, costing us something like 20 pounds of rice. Can anyone suggest something?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

The person who runs philswallets.com is a goon who makes bifolds in small batches. I have a slim from him -- on my second after the first got stolen -- and it's soft but not shiny or slick and I expect anything else he makes to be similar. If I weren't on my phone I'd see if he still has a thread in SA Mart.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

OP said "good" and anything Wal-Mart is loving terrible.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Looking up cat shelters online should give ideas for structures insulated with varying combos of straw and styrofoam that'll keep a cat's body heat around it. Come to the fostering thread in PI and other people experienced with outdoor cats can chime in as well.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Enro masks have multiple sizes. You could go to their sizing page and see if they're big enough?

https://enro.com/pages/size-guide

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Seconding the cat. A lot of cities/states/etc have groups that will give you a pair of barn cats if you don't want to socialize with them but will still care for them.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I use a safety razor, but I don't even have testicles and that's horrifying. Shaving my face without a mirror? I go by feel and the worst thing I get is nicks and abrasions. Shaving anywhere else I can't see clearly? Hell no.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Just get the Instant Pot brand and don't think twice. We have a 3 qt for a two person household and it does a great meal with no left overs. Also you can fit at least a pound of boneless skiness thighs in the 3 qt.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

credburn posted:

I bought a temporary cane a few years ago from Goodwill because I didn't think I'd need one for very long or ever again but here we are and it's now a normal part of my day. But my cane is clinical, it's so boring. I want a cool cane, something that looks rad and maybe has cool poo poo in it. But looking online... it seems like canes come in two flavors: gimicky poo poo, which is cool but often comes at the cost of actual walking cane utility (I do actually need it for walking around comfortably) and extremely well made and extremely expensive very pretty carved stuff. Is there a place that uhhh reviews canes? Or is there a cane thread? Or does anyone have any advice about canes?

Your local Walgreens will have a few options, Amazon will have more, but https://www.fashionablecanes.com is where I got mine when I had more cash to throw around.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Big Skinny wallets are as the name says. They come in a wide variety of sizes based on how much you want to stuff into it.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Cobra Commander posted:

Looking to get a quality bathrobe, I live in the hot rear end hellhole that is Florida, so mega plush fleece lined is a hard no. I’m hoping to find something comfortable, not something you’d overheat in, and not full length. Men’s as well if that matters, and I’m willing to go up to about $200 if need be. Amazon is loaded with garbage as expected, and the “best bathrobe” lists are all over the place with companies I’ve never heard of.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-robes/ has all the options you can imagine. The brands listed are good ones, trust the page like it was made for.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

For such a small space, get a cordless one. I got a Dyson on mega-sale at the start of covid though so I'm no use for brand recs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

They're still worth spending your money on. I had an XL for like 9 years but went down to M. I honestly regret the size change.