Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
In the last thread someone suggested a wallet that I really liked, but I can't track down the brand anymore. Wallets are asked about often so it's hard to search through the old thread, so I'm hoping someone here knows what I'm lookin gfor.

This wallet was a super slim wallet made of titanium. It was basically a titanium frame with a band that would wrap around cards and cash. That's about all I got...

Anyone know what the hell I'm thinking of?

Edit: I think the titanium frame itself could be used to like open a bottle or something. I know there are lots of similar options, but I loved the look of this one brand.

Jewce has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I did search google and found both the ones mentioned, but they weren't the brand I initially saw. I appreciate the help though! I'm sure I'll come across it at some point.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So what's a good chefs knife?

I love my ceramic knives but they definitely only fill a small niche

The standard recommendation seems to be a Victorinox chef's knife. You can get it either with rosewood or Fribrox for the handle and 8 or10".

I started with an 8" years and years ago and then got a 10", but for some reason I'm still just addicted to my 8" size, probably cause I'm so used to it. A 10" blade is nice for lining up a bunch of batons I want to dice up though so I sometimes wished I just learned with that. Real chef's can chime in on size if that's something you care about.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-8-...8-Inch+rosewood

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-8-Inch-Fibrox-Straight/dp/B008M5U1C2

Also, treat your knife with respect and buy a guard that fits it. Never put it in the dishwasher and get something to hone it with at the very least.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-47...ch+Knife+Blades

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Not exactly a product, but I remember seeing somewhere on SA about a great place to buy prescription frames on the cheap. Someone was mentioning some measurement you needed to ask your eye doctor about and stuff. Any ideas?

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Etrips posted:

zennioptical, optical4less

Sweet, thanks!

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Ishamael posted:

Zenni is good, the measurement you are talking about is pupillary distance, most eye docs will do it for you for free with an eye exam, but a lot are charging for it now because the online eyeglass places are cutting into their business.

Thanks, I took a look at both sites and saw the pupillary distance stuff. It's for my mom and she said that she'll talk to her doc about getting it.

Thanks again to those that helped!

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

It seems like there's a mattress review site that gets posted in these threads from time to time. Anybody have that?

Or, if anybody wants to give more direct advice, my current mattress is super old and is probably entirely made up of dust mites and dead skin cells by now. I'd like to upgrade to a larger size, but I don't have room for that at the moment. Whenever I get around to moving (and I don't know how many months/years that could be) I'd like to invest in a nice new mattress. In the meantime, though, my lovely mattress is doing my back no favors. If nothing else I want to buy a new foam topper, but I'm tempted to get a cheapass mattress to tide me over until I'm able to get something nicer.

Buying a cheap mattress online seems like a hilariously bad idea, but the little voice in the back of my mind keeps saying, "Well, your CURRENT mattress is definitely garbage..." Somebody please talk some sense into me before some goddamn podcast catches me in a moment of weakness with their advertising. Or, if by some miracle, these mattresses are ok, you can tell me that, too.

The best mattress site I know is https://www.themattressunderground.com Phoenix is the real deal and will teach you all you need to know about finding the right mattress for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Rolo posted:

Is Mattress Firm a ripoff for buying a mattress? My 200 dollar one is killing me and I've decided to be an adult and invest in my sleep. I'd like a chain store so I can go try it out. I don't know what my budget is but I'm not spending 5k. I'm thinking 1k if I absolutely love it.

I live in Las Vegas if anyone knows of anything region specific.

Yes, mattress firm is a rip off. So is every other major retailer or mattresses.

Go to https://www.themattressunderground.com
That will teach you everything you need to know about buying a mattress, whether online, in a store, or wherever.

It's one of the most important purchases you make, so I recommend taking the time to learn how to do it right.