Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I want a portable screen larger than my phone to watch stuff on on trips. It doesn't have to have bells or whistles, just be able to stream content.

Amazon Fire tablets. That's pretty much exactly what they're designed for. They're not great for anything else. Put the Google Play Store on and you'll have access to anything streaming and they can take an SD card if you won't be streaming.

Preferably with an HD screen. HD8 is $65 right now, but for another $20 they have the HD8+ which has more ram (which was my biggest problem with mine) and better charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I need a new entertainment center, and for some reason I’m having a lot of trouble looking anywhere besides Wayfair. Please help me expand my options, if not for specific pieces then at least tell me some places to look OTHER THAN loving Wayfair.

Here’s what I’m looking for:
• Needs to accomodate a TV 55” or bigger (maaaaaaaaaaybe 65” in case I ever get a bigger one)
• Needs to be no more than 124” wide (preferably 120” or less) and ~22” deep (preferably ~20” or less)
• MUST have a hutch, preferably with lighting
• MUST have side cabinets, preferably with windowed doors and preferably with lighting (the doors are almost a requirement, the lighting not so much)
• MUST have bottom cabinets, preferably with windowed doors
• I STRONGLY — almost militantly — prefer traditional design over modern (almost all modern furniture is fuckugly and pretentious dont @ me :colbert:)
• Budget isn’t nailed down yet, but let’s say $5K or $6K max

That is a huge budget, and with your wants you’d be so much better off finding a local furniture maker and have them design and make it to your specs.

Call a woodworking shop and ask if they can recommend a furniture maker (or if they do it themselves). Or even just local Facebook groups (get references).

That’s the only way you’re going to get exactly what you want.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Rolo posted:

I need a decent electric razor for my face that I can throw in a suitcase somewhat easily. My crappy Remington one is going dull and I’m in a place where I can buy one that wasn’t 19 bucks at Walmart. I have somewhat sensitive skin and my face hair doesn’t come in too fast or thick.

While on the subject, I’d also love something decent for my chest down. This one doesn’t need to be able to travel, I’ll just keep it at home.

Budget I guess is 100-200 for both. Anyone got a recommendation?

Philips OneBlade. And it'll do both jobs you're asking about.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

MaliciousOnion posted:

Please recommend me an electric shaver with which I can shave my entire head. Currently using a pair of electric clippers and they're not cutting as short as I'd like.

Again, Philips Oneblade.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Rolo posted:

Wait you can do that without gunking it up?

Yep, wet, dry, with cream or without, whatever. It’s a seriously great device.

It feels pathetic to be the fan of an electric razor, but here we are.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a pair of lightweight binoculars that I can take hiking? I'd prefer them to be small and lightweight enough that taking them climbing wouldn't be a problem.

How much you looking to spend?

Decent low end is $75-200
Mid is $200-700
High is $700+

And what do you value most in them?

Small and light
Durability
Clear picture

For low end, you get one of those options, mid you get 2, high you get all 3.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Cheap but okish.

Better, smaller, lighter, clearer.

Similar to the above. Better picture, less durable.

Bigger and a bit heavier, but better in every way.

Like the last ones but better picture, less durable.

All of these are from established brands. Given you’ll be hiking, I recommend keeping the magnification to 8x or below, because you’ll be holding it by hand and will have been exerting yourself hiking/climbing. All the ones here are 8x or below.

Any of these will work for you. My personal recommendations for your case are the Vortexes (the second and fourth ones, the fourth over the second), as they’re going to be designed with the most durability in mind. Vortex primarily designs around hunters and their uses.

I would also recommend a hard shell case for them. Something similar to this. Though it’ll likely come with a soft case. I’ve broken several sets by just dropping them on to a padded floor, so I always advocate for more protection.

St_Ides has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Feb 20, 2022

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

null_pointer posted:

What's the consensus on an electric trimmer that can handle both men's scruff (from 0.1 to 1.0 mm) as well as mowin' the lawn down there, if you know what I mean. I see the Phillips OneBlade which I've heard goons rave about in terms of clean shaves, but I keep a small amount of scruff year-round.

OneBlade you can put guards on a OneBlade for longer lengths. Mine came with some, but I'm not sure if all do. If not I'm sure you can find a set on Amazon or something for a few bucks. The first link I Googled went down to 1mm.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Harriet Carker posted:

Can anyone recommend a drone with a good camera? It’s for my dad so ease of use is a high priority. Budget is pretty high but I really have no idea what to expect, price wise.

Any of the latest DJI drones all have good cameras, but come with some pretty big geofencing and potentially privacy issues with it being a big Chinese company (I don't personally agree that it's any worse than any other company, but this is a point that's commonly brought up regarding them).

Autel drones have good cameras and some are US built. They're pricier than their DJI equivalent though.

Another option is the Skydio 2+. They have a good camera (though less good than the new DJIs, as they've been updated more recently). They're US designed and built, and have the best obstacle avoidance available. They're pretty heavily automated so it's the least hands-on flying, but with the avoidance and devices like the beacon also have excellent following and orbiting.

Oh, and anything 250g or heavier have to be registered with the FAA. The DJI Mini series and Autel Nano are both 249g.

St_Ides has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Jul 4, 2022

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

devilmonk posted:

Can anyone suggest a “value” Instant Pot? I’m looking to get a small one for my wife and I.
6qt ?
There are so many choices on Amazon and I’m not sure what I need. They seem to be anywhere from $79 to $300 and I’d prefer closer to $79-100 but I don’t want to get a crappy one either.

Check out local thrift stores or buy nothing groups. Cooking gadgets often get donated after people get bored of them. You’ll probably find a good one for cheap. Or a cheap one for free.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Breville tea maker!

Put loose leaf tea in the basket, it heats the water to the right temperature, then it lowers the basket to steep the tea for the proper amount of time (and will bounce the basket for better steeping, if you want).

It's expensive but makes perfect tea every time.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Could you connect the record player to a computer line in and stream it to a private YouTube channel (or twitch stream or some other streaming option) then connect the tv to that? It'd be laggier and would require a little bit of setup each time, but it'd be free

St_Ides has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Dec 31, 2022

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

What's a good entry level telescope? Like I can imagine it's the sort of thing where there are extremely lovely ones for extremely cheap, but where does the "pretty ok" level start? Bonus points for easily available in Australia.

There's an Amateur Astronomy thread that might be able to give some good answers.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

null_pointer posted:

Need a Pixel 6 Pro phone case that is practical but aesthetically not-garbage

The aesthetics are subjective, but I’ve had a caseology vault since it came out, and it’s survived everything.

I just don’t recommend a lighter colour (for any phone case, it’s not a specific problem with this case) because they get dirty and gross.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
As in you want to speak in to the microphone and it comes out the speaker?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Contigos are good, I prefer Stanley because I prefer the external finish and it being dishwasher safe (which some of the contigos are). But they’re both good and entirely a matter of personal preference. I like the push button sip thing, makes it more spill proof for my toddler-like coordination.

Wirecutter has a decent rundown of travel mugs, if you google it. Their top pick was a Zorushi with a pop-top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Pretty much anyone who engraves with a laser should be able handle that. If they don't have a Cyrillic option, they should be able to engrave a .svg image, so you can make it yourself.

AliX has a lot of services that should be able to help with that if you can't find someone local.