Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

JPrime posted:

My request for a recommendation: I need a humidifier for our master bedroom, to be used while we sleep. The room is maybe 13' x 13'. Anyone have good experiences?

My wife and I picked up an Air-o-Swiss 7144 on seasonal clearance for $30 at a Bed Bath & Beyond three years ago. It uses a metallic membrane that vibrates at an ultrasonic frequency which causes the water on it to cavitate into vapor. Its fairly quiet and puts out a steady stream of vapor, it doesn't have a problem with keeping our bedroom which is slightly larger at a comfortable humidity during the winter months. My only complaint is there's no option to dim or turn off the display, which is fairly bright and will bother you if you're sensitive to light when trying to sleep. We ended up covering it with electrical tape...I think there's a newer unit that has a dim display option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TUTRLE FIJURBLER posted:

Christmas is coming and I'm looking for a good quality, very bright flashlight that's not going to break the bank to get for my mom when she walks the dogs at night.

I've had a LED Lenser 880028 for four years now. Uses 3 AAAs and has a very bright beam. You used to be able to buy them from Lowe's and Home Depot but then Coast stopped selling them under license. Very good flashlight for under $40.

e: for that matter pretty much anything in their lineup is great from a quality and price standpoint until you get into niche market equipment like diving flashlights and absurdly overkill poo poo like this.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Dec 15, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

colas posted:

Isn't it possible to still use 911 even if you're not paying for a landline?

If you aren't paying for a land line your house/apartment (whatever) typically isn't connected at the pole or ped.

Do you have poor/no cell coverage at home?

Geoj has a new favorite as of 15:37 on Dec 17, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
You should be able to get the most basic of basic POTS for pretty cheap, but you'll only be able to call numbers in like a four or so block radius around your house. It would be enough to have your residence hooked up and call 911. Probably be somewhere between $10-15/month.

Assuming you have broadband at home you could get some kind of VOIP service for about the same and have it be infinitely more useful. I have Vonage's lowest package, for $16/month (taxes & fees bring it up to $18 & change) I get 500 minutes of outbound and unlimited inbound in the continental US & Canada.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

jadeddrifter posted:

Get a second phone. A used one. You can find them for cheap. It can be old because it is only going to run your alarm app. No monthly cost and it stays put plugged in on your night stand

Seconding this - you really can't beat the features of a smartphone alarm app. And a few years old smartphone is dirt cheap.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

couldcareless posted:

Thinking about getting a universal remote. From what I understand, the logitech harmony series is the recommended product, but their line is pretty diverse, with prices ranging from $70 to $350. I know very little about good universal remotes so I'm not sure what sort of features there are in the higher end models that I would care enough about to drop a few hundred on vs $100.
Can anyone with more experience with the remotes give me any sort of advice on what I should shoot for?

I don't plan on using it for any sort of home automation, just a receiver and TV mostly but if it works for game consoles (ps3, 360, wii u) that's a pretty big plus.

If you can find them I highly recommend the Harmony 300 or 350. Logitech discontinued them a few years ago but its basically a no-frills remote with the USB programmable Harmony software for under $50. I've had one for a few years now, the batteries last forever and if your device isn't on the supported list you can teach it using the device's original remote.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Julet Esqu posted:

Get yourself a Niagara shower head. Easy to install. Great water pressure. Only 20 bucks. You're giving up the broad range of massage settings that many shower heads tout, but be honest with yourself. Do you ever really use more than one or two settings anyway? This will get the shampoo out of your hair.

Thanks for this, I've been in the market for a new shower head for a couple of months.

What stuck out for me was the part that screws onto the pipe is metal, and the handle is oblong instead of round so it cannot spin after you hang it up. Pretty good pressure for a 2 GPM head too.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: universal remotes, if you don't want a LCD screen or the ability to control every electronic device in your home I'd suggest a Harmony 350.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SaltLick posted:

my girlfriend got me one of those melted wax scentsy things and it works pretty well if you want the smell of a candle without the worry of a flame

OTOH god help you if it ever spills onto a surface you can't take a razor blade to...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I have a fairly small kitchen and use an Ikea Bekvam cart as supplemental counter/work space. I think we've had it for at least four years now, it's all solid wood so it's not going to fall apart or sag like something made from particle board or plywood.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If you aren't looking to spend $100+ the Harmony 350 has most of the features of the Harmony line (primarily, ability to be programmed via USB) for under $40.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
That's usually all that matters when getting discounts.

I'm eligible for a whole range of discounts for a company I don't technically work for (I'm a contractor) just by having an email address on their domain.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Monoprice has a few different two device HDMI switches for under $20. A friend of mine does the same thing with a DVI switch from them and he has no complaints about it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I doubt you're going to find anything that has usable quality video over WiFi that is cheap, and even then WiFi isn't the best medium for that many cameras - it works on a time-based transmit schedule and the more devices you have the less time each device has to transmit...not good for real-time applications. You'd probably want to set up multiple access points for just the cameras to make it work. And even then, pulling cables to power PoE cameras will probably work better unless you already have a bunch of outlets where the cameras need to be.

A friend of mine does bookkeeping and IT for his father's business...he deployed several Ubiquiti UniFi IP cameras. They include a fairly powerful software suite that includes motion-based activation.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
It's not so much an actual quality issue as without sufficient wireless infrastructure you'll have video lag or the stream failing outright. You'd have to have some very high end access points with a load balancing system in place to be able to handle 6 simultaneous video streams. Your average SOHO wireless gateway just won't be able to handle the load.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Cosmic Charlie posted:

I just set up an 8 camera zmodo system in a bar and the owner and I can check whats going on in there at any time from our cell phones, its connected to an apple airport extreme router, I imagine it'd work just fine with most consumer grade routers and a broadband connection.

Are these demand based (only active when you dial in) or are they constantly feeding data to a central server? I'd be stunned if a consumer grade access point/wireless gateway could sustain 8 video feeds (in addition to other potential traffic from normal clients) unless the cameras are running in 56k level resolution or else are only capturing 1 frame every half second.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I just don't think WiFi is going to be viable for what he's trying to do unless he's willing to set up multiple dedicated APs. Which, arguably, could be easier (but probably not cheaper) than pulling UTP cable for each camera.

But even then how are you going to power them?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Each camera in the system is connected with two wires, a video and a power. The power comes from a squid cable that plugs into a 120v outlet, the video goes to the hub and the power to the squid.

Oh - now I understand the confusion. The individual cameras you're using are wired to a central device and you're accessing the feeds/recordings via WiFi. What I'm talking about is an IP camera that connects to a server or workstation acting as a server over WiFi.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 05:08 on May 8, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Those ubiquiti cameras I suggested have a very nice software suite. You can set them up for motion activated recording and then specify areas within the camera's FoV where motion will be ignored (say, if traffic on the street is triggering a recording.) IR for low-light recording and surprisingly good audio to boot.

When you set it up for motion activated recording the system will present a list of recordings for review and you can specify how long to continue capture after the motion ceases, I would have to imagine remote viewing of short video clips would be possible over your connection, but yeah, you probably don't have enough upstream to support a live stream.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 20:14 on May 8, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is there a "go to" recommended model/brand for serpentine/fan belts? Or at least one to avoid?

Judging by the sound it's making, it's high time I replaced the one in my 03 Corolla, and I don't want to get one that's cheap and will break/wear out sooner, but at the same time don't want to overpay for something if I don't have to.

Just don't buy the cheapest option, although to be honest accessory belts aren't exactly complicated and longevity was nailed down years ago. If you're buying off of rock auto I'd go with one of the intermediate choices - something from Gates, Dayco or Goodyear would be a safe bet.

While you're at it might want to replace the tensioner and idler pullies. Depending on the engine it's also customary to do the water pump with the belt, but I'm not familiar enough with Toyotas to know if the pump drives off the accessory or timing belt. Speaking of (the timing belt) you may also want to do that/have that done if it's still running on the factory-installed belt.

e: you may want to go ask in the AI stupid questions thread about what else you should do while replacing the belt, I'm sure someone will be knowledgeable about Toyotas.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Jun 1, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dragyn posted:

I'm looking for a Bluetooth receiver that I can connect to a mic line in connector that had a range suitable for my 35'x35' garage. I've tried a few, but they've all cut out once I was more than 10' or so from the receiver.

What is your intended use? If you just need A2DP (streaming audio) I've used these to connect smartphones to car stereos. Range probably depends more on the transmitting device than the receiver but on more than one occassion my wife would have something playing on her phone, get out of the car with the phone, walk into the house and it would continue to stream audio without any issues.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

various cheeses posted:

I've heard that newer Dysons are overpriced garbage though.

My wife used to work at Bed Bath & Beyond about five years ago, she said Dysons were the most frequently returned/exchanged vacuum they sold.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

visuvius posted:

Need a recommendation for a desktop mouse. I was using a Logitech G9x which is legendary but the only ones available are going for $350 on Amazon.

- Need something with a little bit of weight to it (The G9x had removable metal inserts)
- I need the same type of endless scroll wheel where you can switch between the mouse wheel clicking or rolling smooth.

Logitech RMA'd my old G500 with a G502. Once you get past "looks like a spaceship model from a bad sci-fi movie" I've been pretty happy with it. Has the MX wheel and weights.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kloa posted:

Hair clippers don't keep it even?

I bought some $30 Wahl kit back in 2010 and use it for beards and occasionally sides of my head. Seems to work fine :shrug:

Seconding this. I always figured the only upside to a dedicated beard trimmer is you don't have the drag the kit out of the closet and plug it in.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Etrips posted:

The Anker line is pretty solid.

Thirding this, they're my go-to brand for USB cables, chargers and external/internal batteries. Everything I've ever bought from them has been top quality.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Anyone recommend a good electric heater? Something I can take back and forth between room and common area

How big is the room?

My furnace died last season so this year we're experimenting with zone heating using electric space heaters.

I have this oil-filled electric radiator heating my living and dining rooms (about 220 square feet total), this Lasko ceramic tower heater in my kitchen and one of these in a bedroom another in the foyer.

Got our first power bill using this setup and while it doubled (went from $70 to $140) my gas bill won't be the usual $200+/month that it typically was running a 20+ year old furnace in a house that has mediocre insulation.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Dec 11, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Chinaman7000 posted:

I need a good dog bed for my ~40 lb dog. She likes the ones with borders on 3 sides, not the all flat pillow ones. I want one that is comfy and doesn't get all flat from her fat rear end.

Kuranda makes an excellent dog bed, they're basically fabric suspended between plastic or aluminum tubes in a manner where the dog cannot bite the fabric. My wife used to work at an animal rescue that had several of them and I've had two for several years, had to replace the fabric once on each because my dogs have a habit of "digging" on the bed. Replacement fabric is relatively cheap ($20 or so depending on size) and the frame has held up well. If anything wears out or breaks you can buy individual replacement parts too.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Dec 13, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Minus Pants posted:

I'm looking for a tv stand/entertainment center that's about 4 or 5' wide and has a slide-out shelf for a turntable. Do these exist?

I'm a fan of Ikea's BESTA product line. They (at least used to) have a slide out shelf like you're describing - my wife has a turntable and we did the exact same thing you're trying to do last year but I can't seem to find the shelf on their website.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Go-to goon suggestions for printers are usually a Brother monochrome laser printer for black & white, and if you need color some kind of cheap inkjet.

I've had a HL-2240D for about five years now, its about as basic as laser printers get (only thing it does that isn't single sheet printing is duplexing), picked it up for $80 on sale at Microcenter and I haven't even run out of the trial size toner cartridge it shipped with.

Brother's color laser printers are fine too, but unless you're frequently running a lot of color prints color laser printers aren't terribly cost effective.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Jan 20, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

obi_ant posted:

I have a pretty nice picture frame that I wanted to use, but the photos come in weird sizes. I can't seem to find any online photo printing service that offers all three sizes that I'm looking for. I'm looking for 4x4, 6x4 and 4x6. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

Where are you looking that offers photo finishing but doesn't sell 4x6 prints? It's the most common size when getting prints made...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Panda Time posted:

Any recommendations for light weight / portable PDAs other than Android/iOS?
Palm Pilots are neato, but I'm looking for anything else that might be out there.

Windows RT is really the only other mainstream mobile OS besides Android and iOS.

Ubuntu was developing a mobile OS at one point but I'm pretty sure its been abandoned.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I'd like a good safe to keep my few valuables in. Doesn't have to be too big, just going to keep documents and a flash drive with important digital junk in it. I frequent the security fuckup thread in yospos, which has made me incredibly weary of any electric or biometric safe as they all seem to either be complete worthless garbage or cost $2000 and are only available to government contractors. I've considered just getting a safe deposit box but I need quick access to the digital stuff at least. Thanks!

EDIT: More info: I rent so I can't exactly anchor it into the floor like I know you're supposed to do with good small safes, so I'm mostly looking for fire safety, but it would just feel wrong to buy a safe that can be broken into easily even if I realize anyone actually breaking in could just pick it up and leave with it.

Granted it won't help with the physical stuff, but have you considered using an OTFE program like Veracrypt to encrypt the files on your flash drive and then store them on something like Dropbox? As long as you use a password that can't be brute forced 256 bit encryption is impossible to break.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'd suggest this brush and suck up the hair it removes with a regular vacuum.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh nice. Hadn't even considered that. It works pretty well on standard car interiors?

Works pretty well on any surface. 10/10, would buy again, etc.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

couldcareless posted:

French press just broke. Any goon recommendations for a new one?

If your French press uses a standard size/shape beaker Amazon sells replacement glass for ~$10.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

colas posted:

gently caress. Well any suggestions for one < $100?
I don't need to drop $100+ on something I'll only use in the shower.

Does it actually have to sit in the shower? Could you just get a regular speaker and set it on your vanity/toilet tank/on the floor in front of your shower/etc?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If it's just for one room you might try strapping a furnace panel filter onto a basic box fan (filter attached to the front of the fan.) It's surprisingly effective.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

signalnoise posted:

Can someone tell me what I need to look for in a docking station thingie for triple monitor setup on a laptop

What is your laptop model? Anything that will have built-in video outputs that actually take advantage of the laptop's onboard video will need to be purpose-built by the same manufacturer. Does your laptop have a proprietary docking interface on the side or bottom?

Computer Serf posted:

Do you have some sort of gaming laptop with a dedicated video card with display port or HDMI and enough resolution to support 3 monitors?

Honestly my work laptop is a run of the mill Lenovo E555 with an AMD A6 and handles 2x 1080 monitors (connected via built in HDMI and VGA ports) plus its own 1366x768 panel just fine. Granted I'm just doing desktop work with it but you don't need a gaming laptop to support multiple displays.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
It has a mini DisplayPort - you could use a DisplayPort hub which allows three additional devices to run off of a single DisplayPort. Might need some combination of adapters to get your displays to work with that, assuming they aren't relatively new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Seconding the Instant Pot suggestion, unless you eat rice on an almost daily basis. It does almost as good of a job at cooking rice as the Zojirushi but can do so much more.