Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sentient Data posted:

If you're new to the repair work, get a handle on jis vs phillips screws. I have a feeling that imported displays will use jis screws; while it may seem like a phillips will fit, you'll strip them like mad

Used to work on Fujifilm (Japanese) photo printers and can confirm this. JIS heads/drivers are designed opposite of Phillips - they don't cam out of the fastener as torque increases. The drivers are also backwards compatible with Phillips heads and you get a little added purchase to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Trastion posted:

I need to get a $10 white elephant gift for a party that I really don't know the people well. We are trying to not do the gag gift thing, mainly want to get something people will actually want.
Nothing vulgar or anything meme related as these are not all people who would even recognize that stuff.

Any suggestions? Amazon would be good as I have prime and some gift card balance there to cover it.

I'm giving out a bunch of these this year. Incredibly useful - more focused beam than a phone's flashlight, brighter and charges off of a microUSB cable.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Would anyone be kind enough to recommend me some socks for winter? I tried looking up wool/wool blends but didn't really trust what I was seeing. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Have a Costco membership? The Kirkland hiking socks are pretty reasonable at $12 for 4 pairs.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

C-Euro posted:

Anyone want to recommend some booties/mittens for a 25ish pound dog (Corgi)?

My wife used to work at an animal shelter that had a retail storefront, they used to sell a few brands in the winter months but everyone who worked there swore by Muttluks. Apparently they're worth the price premium - she said for a Corgi you should expect to spend between $45-60 depending on your dog's paw size.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Annual Prophet posted:

possibly more fiddly than you want, but:

- this or something similar (I use a chemex but obviously that's larger than you'd want); plus

- this or something similar (bonavita makes a nice electric gooseneck);

would make you some reasonably quick and v good coffee

If you're going to spend $40 on a kettle go to Target (assuming you're in the US) and pick up an Oster adjustable electric kettle.

Water temperature can be adjusted in 10 degree increments from 110 - boiling. Works great for us, my wife makes tea that requires lower temperature water frequently and I prefer sub-boiling water (200 F) when I make coffee in my French press.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

taqueso posted:

Where is the removed heat (and waste heat) going to go with no radiator?

Fan assisted thermoelectric cooler as the heat/refrigeration source. They don't have an external radiator but do make a lot of noise and take forever to heat/cool about a glass and a half's worth of water.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

signalnoise posted:

You can see it from the side, and I don't wanna gently caress up the wall with constant heat

I think you're severely overestimating how much heat a traditionally refrigerated water cooler's coils put out. I've had one pushed up against the wall (with maybe a 1.5" gap) in my kitchen for six years and there isn't any change to the paint color behind it from heat coming off the coils.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I always suggest Anker for all USB charging needs. Their cables are top notch and their portable batteries and wall chargers are excellent as well.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Honestly audiophile :spergin: aside you don't really realize how terrible flatscreen speakers are until you try something else. My TV has better than average speakers, but I was still missing a wide range of sound both above and below what the TV was capable of that I didn't even realize I was missing until adding a sound bar. Yes, a true surround sound system is better but not everyone wants to drop $500+ on a receiver and speakers, and in my case my house was built in the 20s - my living room is 10'x 13' and I don't even want to think about trying to drag speaker cable through the lath and plaster walls.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Mar 29, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Leavemywife posted:

I'm not sure where else to ask this question, but I've had a pin put into my wrist a few years ago. Using a regular mouse for a while makes my wrist ache. Would a trackball be a better method of using my computer? I mostly just play games and do LP stuff.

If that is a better option, which would be a good choice?

Up until the end of February I worked as a computer janitor at a call center (got laid off after they lost a contract accounting for about 20% of their workforce), I used this trackball after I started to get hints of carpal tunnel from using a mouse 8+ hours a day every week.

I found it was better from an ergonomics standpoint because it allows your wrist to lay as close to flat on the desk as possible. With a mouse you're constantly moving around which seemed to be the cause of my wrist/forearm pain.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Have you considered a Chromecast Audio? As long as your phone remains connected to the same wifi network it will continue to stream.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
You might also look into an FM modulator. Not to be confused with a transmitter, it plugs in line with the antenna cable and injects the signal directly into the stereo. Near CD quality (unless you're an audiophile :spergin: you won't be able to tell the difference) and no batteries or stronger signals to contend with.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
5 gallon bucket with Gamma seal lid if you're storing 20+ pounds.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I've had an Amazon basics speaker for the past two years and for $30 it has great audio quality and the battery lasts forever on a single charge.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Nthing the brother laser printer sentiment. I bought a monochrome USB only printer in 2010 from microcenter on sale for $80. I don't print a ton, but it's still running on the original demo toner cartridge and the only trouble it's ever given me is difficulty picking paper when the tray gets down to 20 or so sheets.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Jinh posted:

Alright friends, I work with draft beer systems. I regularly handle a caustic solution, take apart small metal beer faucets, and dip my hands in buckets of water to scrub parts.

I need a hardy pair of waterproof gloves that still let me move pretty freely. Maybe just really nice kitchen gloves, basically. I'd really like to be able to still feel what i'm working with a bit, some of these parts are tiny.

The caustic is no good for my hands at all, my fingers are like sandpaper and constantly opening small cracks, it hurts like hell. Regular disposable type gloves dont last more than a second into the cleaning process before tearing apart from metal threads catching on them. Being able to avoid the weekly metal splinters would be a huge plus too.

I used to work as a field tech servicing wet process photo printers (chemistry isn't terribly caustic but can result in contact dermatitis if it comes in frequent contact with your skin so gloves were a must) , in my experience the choice was either heavy rubber/vinyl gloves that pretty much trainwreck dexterity with smaller parts or disposable nitrile gloves that allow you to feel smaller parts but run the risk of tearing.

Have you tried heavy duty nitrile gloves? I do most of my own car maintenance and frequently wear these gloves from Harbor Freight when dealing with fluids and they stand up to moderate abuse fairly well.

If you're outside the US or don't have a Harbor Freight nearby you can probably find a comparable product elsewhere or online.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I've had Ikea's 365+ garlic press since 2010 or so. Opens for easy cleaning and can fit two giant or four large cloves at once. $6.99 if there's a store near you.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Low price alternative to the Cuisinart.

I've had one since 2013 with almost daily use, still going strong. There are a lot of low ratings for it dying, but most of these are undoubtedly coming from idiots who put something other than water in them which blows the thermal fuse after solids form over the heating element, and the kettle has to work harder to heat the water.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

obi_ant posted:

I just purchased a bunch of emergency food, but uh apparently I need boiling water for it.

Can someone suggest to me one of those survival emergency water boiling things? I would prefer to be able to purchase it from Amazon.

You're probably going to want a camping stove. Depending on what kind of scenario you're planning on riding out will determine the type of fuel. Propane is the easiest to use but propane cylinders are bulky and don't last very long. White gas is slightly more difficult (you have to prime the burner - they vaporize the fuel by passing it through a metal tube that gets exposed to flame) but is more economical with fuel by volume. In this category there are also "universal" fuel stoves that will run on pretty much any flammable light petroleum distillate - gasoline, kerosene, jet fuel, etc - denatured alcohol or practically any flammable fluid light enough to flow through the stove's internals.

If you're looking for something to use in the event of a collapse of society scenario there are wood fired camping stoves, which are basically a charcoal chimney starter with some kind of platform on top to balance pots/pans/kettles on.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Jan 10, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

obi_ant posted:

A white noise machine wouldn’t work well as I’m fairly confident she’ll be able to drown it out.

In my experience combining earplugs with white noise can drown out all but the worst snoring. You might also look into something that can generate other types of random noise, like pink or brown which have lower frequencies that can better drown out snoring. There are smartphone apps that can do all three.

If you haven't tried it already get your wife a wedge pillow, it can help keep the airway open. My wife used to snore very heavily and getting her a wedge pillow made a world of difference - it didn't stop it completely, but reduced frequency and volume of her snoring to the point where I can manage it with just foam earplugs.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

obi_ant posted:

I've never looked at a wedge pillow. Does your wife complain about back pain from using it? My wife has to do yoga all the time to help her with it. We have a "soft" bed, and I don't know if using those together would contribute to her back pain.

No back pain, but then again she's never really had back issues.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Thirding the Fibrox 8" chef's knife. Bought one about two years ago and I rarely reach for anything else when working in the kitchen.

Price is up substantially though - paid $30 for mine in February of 2016.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

life is a joke posted:

What makes it so special?

It's every bit as good as a chef's knife costing four times as much without the flash or name brand (although it is made by Victorinox, the same company that makes Swiss army knives.)

I've used mine at least three times per week for the past two years and it still has a sharp edge.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

what's the most powerful yet compact whole room fan you've used? Willing to pay a much higher price if I can get a lot of power in a small size

I've had a pair of these Honeywell room circulators for about 12 years. One finally kicked the bucket last month after being run pretty regularly, would definitely buy again.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Connect the computer or tablet to the TV and play the video through either.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
For water my go-to is a narrow neck Nalgene bottle.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nephzinho posted:

It is a nice touch I would like to play with a bit at home. Any recommendations for that kind of seltzer bottle/soda siphon that works with cartridges instead of a restaurant hookup so I don't end up opening a can every time I make a drink?

I've had this one from isi for about 10 years now, only black instead of polished stainless.

It only comes out when I'm entertaining because it's too fiddly for everyday use. You'll want to chill the water ahead of time (I usually fill mine and throw it in the refrigerator a few hours before I plan on using it.) Also it's a bit counter-intuitive but it helps to uniformly carbonate the water by shaking the poo poo out of it right after charging.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bamhand posted:

Looking for a set of drawers to place a TV on in the bedroom or a TV stand that has drawers. Looking to spend < 300.
Some stuff I've looked at:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00318598/

Can't comment to that product line from Ikea, but I have two Besta cabinets sitting under a wall-mounted TV with my HTPC and a turntable on one (open) side plus other living room odds and ends stored in the other behind a door in our living room. It's pretty high quality for the price point, I think the entire setup as described was just under $200 including legs and a glass top plus a sliding shelf that the turntable sits on.

We've also had a set of their mid-price range Malm dressers for almost 10 years. There's a bit of sag in the drawer bottoms, and it's becoming increasingly obvious they're made from particle board (getting some minor bowing/warping around stress areas) but otherwise no complaints.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

George H.W. oval office posted:

Is there a considered best water repellent for car windows? Need to apply a treatment and get new wipers

I always suggest PPG Aquapel for this application.

Similar effect to Rain-X but lasts about 6 months instead of a few weeks between applications. Some chain parts stores carry them individually but they're prohibitively expensive, I'd suggest buying in volume on Amazon. I typically use two per car per application, one for the windshield and another for the front door glass and mirrors but YMMV depending on the size of your vehicle and how large the windows being treated are.

e: also when applying the cleaner you get your glass the longer the treatment will last. I usually give my windshield a thorough cleaning with a good commercial glass cleaner and microfiber, then follow that up with clay bar, a highly-refined clay that picks up dirt and other contaminants off of glossy paint and glass.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Oct 23, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Queen Combat posted:

I wonder how breakdown of the mattresses affects the aerosolization of the proteins that may not be on the surface, though (of course a mattress manus response would be "don't let your mattress get that old).

Problem with latex mattresses is they're effectively a giant slab of rubber with some holes poked in it. They last forever - I've had one since 2009, and when you flip/rotate it's like laying on a brand-new mattress.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I used a USB A/B switch at a prior job to switch a Logitech unifying receiver between two computers that were on separate secure networks.

Combine that with connecting your devices to separate inputs on the monitor and switch between them using the monitor's settings.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

colas posted:

I heard that back-lighting your TV makes movie watching more enjoyable. I mean, literally placing lights behind your screen. Any of you actually do this? What do you use?

There are a ton of bias lighting kits on Amazon. Basically a semi-flexible ribbon with RGB surface mount LEDs spaced every 8-12" on two-side tape, wired back to a controller that's usually run by an IR remote control. They draw power off of a USB port, which practically all modern TVs are equipped with.

Order longer than you think you'll need, it's better to have more than not enough - you can trim the ribbon to size.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
They can also function as a slow cooker.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Simone Poodoin posted:

My keyboard doesn't have media keys or volume control, and it turns out that I miss those. Is there a product that would serve these functions without me having to change my keyboard? I can only find "streamer decks" or this which is exactly what I want but ridiculously expensive.

You could use a macro keyboard application to bind a unique keystroke to volume and media controls.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Humerus posted:

What's the recommendation for a garage kept tire inflator/air compressor? All the reviews I find talk about portable ones that plug into the car's 12v outlet but I just want one to keep in my garage and use whenever the low pressure warning goes off in my/my wife's car.

If you want a cheap option, you can fill a car tire with a bicycle pump - the kind you stand on and operate with both arms (you could probably do it with the compact variety too but it would take all day.)

Takes a few minutes to do a tire, but you're only out $20 instead of $100+ for an inflator, battery and charger (assuming you don't already have one of the above-suggested batteries.)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If you're on Android I've had one of these for years, can't complain.

iOS doesn't allow the bluetooth stack to be used for data or serial connections so you'll need a WiFi adapter instead.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Julet Esqu posted:

How about a Bluetooth speaker? I only need a small one, nothing fancy. Doesn't have to blow me away with sound quality, I just want to sound mostly fine and play it quietly in my room at work.

I bought an Amazon basics unit a few years ago (they don't sell the specific one I have anymore) and haven't had a single complaint about it. Sound quality isn't mindblowing but it has good volume and bass output plus outstanding battery life for a $25 speaker. Based on my experience with it I wouldn't hesitate to buy their current offering.

Anker also makes a decent one for about the same price.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Nov 23, 2019

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Inzombiac posted:

I'd love to get a Red Wing set but there's no way I can afford it.

Their regular work boots (not the Heritage series) are a touch expensive but I'd argue worth it. I currently have a pair of their logger/lineman boots with steel toe (previously worked in an industrial setting requiring them) and insulation, and they keep my feet warm even just wearing normal socks. Last pair I had didn't have steel toe or insulation and lasted me about four years of wearing them as winter boots, and likely would have lasted longer had I been more diligent with caring for the leather (basically - clean them and oil them monthly.)

I paid about $210 for the non-ST/insulated pair and $240 for my current pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I bought an Ego (brand they sell at Home Depot) push mower in 2017, only complaint is the side discharge chute is poorly designed and clogs frequently if you're cutting over a half inch of grass, but I want to say they're now selling a traditional side discharging mower - mine uses a plastic duct that turns the clippings 90 degrees as they exit the same chute used for the rear bag.

Otherwise cuts about a third to half of my sub-acre lot on a single charge depending on length and time of the season, and the 4AH battery reaches a full charge in under an hour. The rest of their lineup is pretty great too.