Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

1redflag posted:

I'd recommend you get an 8" Lodge cast iron and a 12" Lodge cast iron. They'll be about $15 and $25, respectively on Amazon. Seasoning is pretty easy; heat some bacon or other oily meat (or even just oil) in the pan a few times, and simply wipe clean with a paper towel once it cools down a bit, use a little bit of oil for everytime you cook until you can tell you won't need it anymore, and never wash the pan (just wipe clean when done cooking) and NEVER USE SOAP.

As for a roasting pan, you could use the skillet, but honestly, they are pretty cheap and you will be better off with a purpose driven roasting pan in the long run if you really are interested in cooking for yourself

In addition to these you should also check out a Lodge dutch oven. I got the 6qt recently and it's been incredibly useful for a curry and a lentil soup. It's cast iron as well but it's enameled so you don't have to bother with the seasoning business.

There's a comparison between the Lodge and the way more expensive Le Creuset here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
Anyone here have one of those fancy Miele vacuums Sweethome is recommending? I have a cat who loves to shed and also loves to spread Dr Elsey's clay litter all over the place so I need something to pick up all that junk.

Currently I have a lovely Dirt Devil that sprays clay everywhere when I run it over a litter spill. Can anyone comment on Miele or recommend another vacuum that fits my situation?

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

colas posted:

Anyone have a shark? The shark looks pretty decent.

That's also one I was leaning towards. I think it's the NV352. It looks so chintzy (and has lots of infomercials which is rarely a sign of a good product) but if you can really get 80% of the way to the suckitude of the $400 Miele models with a $150 model like the Sweethome people say I guess it's worth it.

Anything to never again wake up with a piece of cat litter gravel jabbing me in the back.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
I've started wearing long sleeve sun shirts like this one in the summer to avoid the annoyance of constantly having to put on sunscreen. They're relatively loosely fitting, breathable, and block the sun.

What I'd like is some equivalent sort of pants for men. I wear shorts a lot because they're lightweight and breathable but they leave me having to put sunscreen on my (very hairy) legs which is really annoying.

Does anyone have any recommendations for light weight, breathable, sun blocking pants that don't make the wearer look like a slob (sweats) or a gangster (wind suits)?

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Warbird posted:

I’ve got a pair of Patagonia joggers that are exactly this that I’m super fond of. Same deal with Prana though those are a bit thicker and more hiking oriented. REI carries both. And while I’ve not tried their longer offerings, all the Lululemon stuff I’ve ever gotten would be good for this, though that’s going to be pretty pricey and likely not too loose fitting. Deffo going to check out one of those shirts.

Dance McPants posted:

yeah check out REI if you have one near you. I have Prana and Patagonia pants from the discount rack there that I've taken camping and they work great for what you're describing. I got some used North Face pants that are a bit heavier but still work well, I think I like my Patagonia ones the best.

Like wearing nothing at all. nothing at all. nothing at all

Thanks! I'll check out the Patagonia pants. I have some Prana hiking pants that are great as well so that's a good call for that Flanders fresh feeling.

Happiness Commando posted:

Railriders EcoMesh are some of the lightest pants around. They're expensive though.

These are super interesting. It's not a brand I'd seen before but I'll definitely check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

couldcareless posted:

Honestly, the worst thing you can do when purchasing an instant pot is buying an undersized one. I have the 8qt and there's still times I am cutting it close with space (also just cooking for me and my wife). I'd suggest just waiting for a good deal on the 8qt and getting that and not looking back

Instant Pots go on pretty steep sales on black friday usually.

I second the recommendation to get a bigger one. I have a 3qt that isn't big enough for anything more than a couple chicken thighs. It works great for yogurt though so I got a 6qt that's good for making a whole bunch of chicken soup or green chili for a single person. The 6qt Duo Evo Plus was $70 last black friday so well within your range.