Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Thinking about getting a universal remote. From what I understand, the logitech harmony series is the recommended product, but their line is pretty diverse, with prices ranging from $70 to $350. I know very little about good universal remotes so I'm not sure what sort of features there are in the higher end models that I would care enough about to drop a few hundred on vs $100.
Can anyone with more experience with the remotes give me any sort of advice on what I should shoot for?

I don't plan on using it for any sort of home automation, just a receiver and TV mostly but if it works for game consoles (ps3, 360, wii u) that's a pretty big plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

He Who Wears Pants posted:

A couple pages back, but I also have this one and can confirm that it owns. I originally had a Harmony remote with a screen, but the little function buttons next to the screen started to become nonresponsive to the point of unusability, it was finicky about recharging on its stand, and (minor quibble) you had to hold it pointed at the TV while it turned everything on in sequence. This one has a simple remote that's very slim and connected to a separate IR hub using wi-fi, you don't even need to point the drat thing at your TV at all. I placed my hub under my TV, and it doesn't have any line-of-sight issues from that location. You can also control it with a cellphone app if touchscreens are your thing, but I prefer the remote, as you don't have to unlock it, find the app and open it before you can change the volume or something.

And yes, it even works with my 360.

This looks like the one I need. No battery draining screen, simple sleek look, and console control is right on. Guess I'll put this on watch for a price drop

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking for a good brush or tool for my shedding long haired dog.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

colas posted:

Is there a product like Amazon Echo but for emergencies? I live alone and I don't have a Life Alert bracelet and I think it would be nice to have something in case I fall in the shower or get a really bad leg cramp. I wanna just be able to shout "OK GOOGLE, I'M DOWN! MAN DOWN! EMERGENCY!"

If you have any recent android phone, you can use "ok Google" and "call [name of contact]"
I think newer versions of ios also offer this in similar fashion with Siri. Obviously this would require you carry your phone around with you though

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Nests are good but some HVAC systems can freak out with them. Mine did and it gave me anxiety the whole time afraid that $200 device was going to cost be a few thousand in repairs. I brought it back and replaced it with a Honeywell smart thermostat. When we go to inevitably replace our upstairs hvac, I may reconsider the Nest.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking for a nice large butcher block for my kitchen. Are there any good recommendations for these?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Best small affordable household network equipment rack?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I should probably specify I want something wall mountable that will reside in a closet.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I usually run some lemon or orange peels through it with some hot water and that does the trick.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I will be in the market for a new desk chair soon. My budget is probably <$150. What are some good recommendations?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

obi_ant posted:

What are some good websites I can look for wedding bands for men?

Boone

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
French press just broke. Any goon recommendations for a new one?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
A large ant hill has popped up in my yard. What is the recommended pest control solution for them, preferably that I can purchase on Amazon.

couldcareless has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Nov 11, 2016

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Eponine posted:

I have no recommendations for an ampersand infestation.

Damnit phone posting.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Teflon is for lazy people that can't maintain a properly seasoned cast iron.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I need to buy some more filters for our AC. I used to buy the filtrete basic and swap them once a month, but I'm starting to see reports of the quality of those filters turning to poo poo. I'm still partially inclined to continue using them until I see issues myself, but I'm open to any recommendations anyone else might have. I'd like to keep it around $5 or less per filter.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Is there a big difference between the classic and the mk4? Been watching for a deal on these for awhile and if there isn't a notable difference I'll bite on this.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Good enough for me. Awesome deal, thanks for the heads up

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We just got a Casper. I enjoy it, but my sense for a good mattress is about as keen at my taste for wine. My wife who is on her feet all day does enjoy it though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We got our current sectional from LA Z Boy. It's fantastic and been durable enough to put up with our 2 dogs without showing any signs of damage. It is also comfortable enough that we regularly pass out on it. I enjoyed the customization that they offered which allowed us to sort through the fabric and add-ons. The 0% financing was nice as well.

I think my only problem was the delivery time was something like 8 weeks but I guess due to the size and the ability to customize the order, this is necessary.

That said, I really like the couch you linked above and I doubt they would carry something in that style as they are a lot more traditional.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My work backpack which I use to carry around my laptop and several tools and extra cables, cable tester, etc, is falling apart. I am beginning to shop for a replacement but don't want to break the bank too bad so my budget is probably under $100. Any good suggestions? My only requirements are basically a separate sleeve that can at the minimum fit a 15" laptop and hoping that it can survive daily fairly rough use.

I have a timbuk2 messenger that I really like and has really stood up to the test of time, but it's too small for my regular work carry. What I do really like about the timbuk2 messenger is the ballistic nylon they use for the fabric. If I could find something like that for material, it would be ideal.

couldcareless has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Oct 25, 2017

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking for an affordable but reliable light switch I can set on a time based activation. This will be used for porch lights outside our house. I'm looking to have them turn on at dusk and off at dawn.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
A bit more costly though. Does philips have smart bulbs that are resilient enough for outside? The fixtures are in an enclosure, so they aren't directly in elements, but it's not climate controlled by any stretch

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Inzombiac posted:

ALL PRINTERS ARE BAD

Show me a fairly basic one that maybe isn't going to murder my pets and steal my money.
Wireless is a plus.
Basic scanner would be nice.

Laser brother. You can usually snag a monochrome on sale for cheap.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I need a new garden hose sprayer nozzle. Old one that we got from Costco finally bit the dust. I'm inclined just to pick up another when Costco inevitably puts out their spring yard care stuff, but is there some recommended model or brand out there that can give me some long term reliability?
This is honestly just a shot in the dark.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Luckily I live in the south where, aside from this past year, a freeze is very uncommon. I'll just pick up a Costco special. Thanks!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Best websites for canvas prints of your own photos? Interested in a good balance of quality and price.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Thermapen regularly goes on sale, too. It was probably one of my best grilling purchases ever.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I've gotten some pretty solid and cheap zip up hoodies from Uniqlo. Watch for sales

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'd like to get a custom print running shirt made for a race. Is there a good one off custom shirt site that has some good athletic shirt material to pick from?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking for some good bedding. Is sleeplikethedead good for that as well? Something similar with good write ups would be preferred but direct product recommendation is fine as well.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We have one. Though I haven't tested with and without it to see if it really reduces eye strain, it does look nice, especially if you keep your wall dust free

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I used 1800contacts once. They took a really old prescription as well which saved me a trip to the optometrist. Simply had to take a photo of the prescription form and they let me buy whatever, basically.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Do make sure you remove them nightly and clean. I know there's some Ask/Tell thread from a doctor with enough horror stories to convince you to do so.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Inzombiac posted:

And rice maker and and and...

(I am the cult leader for Instant Pots. I could get rid of all other appliances and still be able to cook nearly everything.)

Instant pot to cook slow things fast and sous vide to cook fast things slow. Everything I need in life.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking for a backpack for theme parking. Wife and I are looking to retire our current one in favor of something a little more sturdy.
Need something that's not too big so as not too bulky when carrying around all day and on rides, preferably a material that can hold sewn on patches well, and has a bottle holder on the side that can securely hold a 24oz bottle.

Don't wanna break the bank too much on this so $150 is probably the very top of the budget

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Starting to shop around for 100% linen sheets for our bed. Since this is a hefty purchase, I'd like to make sure we get this right. Any recommendations on brands? Extra points for good color diversity

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking for silk pillow case recommendations. Wife has been hinting at her desire for one so figure it would be an easy Christmas present grab, no idea where to start though. King size with many color options is a bonus.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
What's a good conical burr grinder that's not too expensive? And no, I don't want to go manual crank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
For work or formal events, I wear an undershirt. Any other time, you're just a loser. Embrace the chest hair.