Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I hope this is the right thread for this but I was looking for recommendations for a laptop. I don't know much about computer shopping as my knowledge for buying them caps at around the early 2000s. I don't need a fancy machine but a number pad and dedicated graphics card are somewhat important. Cheaper is better, I'm looking in the $600-800 range if that's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I've been using the same alarm clock for almost 10 years now, and while it still works fine (except for the motorized CD door that I never used and that broke after a year) I think it's time for an upgrade. I was looking around amazon at various projection clocks, and while I really like some of the ones I've found, I really have no idea how these things work, and what/who makes a good one. Some of these clocks have thousands of positive reviews, but then those reviews all mention "oh yeah you can't swivel the projector so either learn to read the time sideways or prop the clock up in such a way that you can't read the actual screen".

Does anyone have any recommendations? I guess the only requirements I have for it is that projects the time and preferably has some kind of temperature display (not 100% necessary but would be nice). A radio is also a plus but I've noticed a lot of clocks are omitting the radio nowadays so it's not a big deal.

Another thing I need a recommendation for is a good laptop cooling pad. I have one I got from amazon a few years back that's like a metal plate full of holes where you can attach/move three small fans, which was fine for my old laptop, but my current laptop gets so hot its unusable on my lap. That and my setup (laptop + cooling pad + fans + surface pad for me to put it on) functionally makes my laptop five times as thick and a complete pain to move around. Any suggestions would be welcome, though I realize this might be one of those things where there is no easy solution.

Re: desks, Ikea's Micke line of modular desks are pretty awesome, I got this one along with a drawer expansion and I'm very satisfied.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

colas posted:

Can someone recommend a good pillow?

The one I've got my head on as I'm writing this. Sensorpedic cooling gel pillow, I think possibly this one, or something like it. I got it on sale for like $40 at Macy's and its gotta be the best drat pillow I've ever used. Its got some kind of cooling wizardry so I never wake up with a sweaty head anymore, plus its comfortable memory foam that's good for my neck (which I've always had problems with). They had both the contoured one and the fuller gusset ones when I bought mine. It seems to be expensive as hell on amazon, but hopefully this can help point you in the right direction.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

LivesInGrey posted:

Does anyone know of any comfortable, warm slippers available in men's 11? Everything I've worn this far hasn't been warm enough even if they're as comfortable as could be. I need it to be a slipper I can occasionally slip on and wear outside for quick errands; temps here can get below freezing once in a while.

Ugg Ascot. Worth the price tag, very warm, and has a good sole for going outside.

EDIT: The interior is sheep skin and they do take a day or two to break in, so they might be snug when you try them on in a store. You also don't need socks with them since they'll eventually contour to your feet

The Blue Pyramid has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Dec 5, 2015