Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

DrBouvenstein posted:

Any good phone mounts for bikes?

This seems to be the #1 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015C03SI8/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

That's probably a decent enough endorsement, but it doesn't look like it holds the phone THAT securely. I'd prefer it held it on all four sides, not just the sides (I see it has little rubber mesh thingies for the corners, but it still looks like it's not enough.)

I'm getting this for my fiance so you can be drat well sure that if her phone EVER falls out of this and shatters on the pavement, I'll get quite the earful and then I'll have to buy her a new phone.

She has a Pixel XL (original, not the Pixel 2) so I guess it's (at this point) an average phone size?

I used this on my bike & I'm happy with it. Looks like it's using the same securing system so I assume it will work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I know this is the thread for products, but what about services? I need to find a good interstate non-emergency medical transport for my mom. Heading from Maryland to Florida, likely soon. She is invalid & needs O2.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm taking care of my mom's house here in central Florida & I need to replace the refrigerator and over-the-stove microwave here. Labor Day sales are abundant & I'm trying to figure out what would be best with these criteria:

-Budget is ~$1000 for the refrigerator, ~$120 for the microwave.
-Color needs to be white.
-Want the refrigerator to be bottom freezer/French doors. Ice maker good but water dispenser unnecessary.

What say you, goons?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Iron Crowned posted:

What wacky shenanigans did you get into that caused the refrigerator and microwave to be destroyed?

the microwave stopped working a while ago. The refrigerator recently started leaking.

I don't live here & the house has been empty on & off for the last year, so getting these things fixed weren't priorities.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's what my sister suggested, mainly because this house is in a neighborhood of old people & when we do rent it out, it's easier for the elderly to get frozen stuff out of bottom shelves than a side-by-side or a top freezer.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Sure. Sounds like you just need to run a long cable from the outdoors antenna to your basement.

Do you have the ability to modify your domicile, or are you renting this place?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My sister is helping me shop for Christmas presents for her husband & in-laws. My brother-in-law is getting into fishing (mainly freshwater right now in Maryland) and she suggested I get him a good fillet knife and/or a fish scaler for his tackle box. What do y'all suggest?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My brother-in-law already has an extendable fishing pole. My sister is the one that knows what he has, hence the request for recommendations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Inzombiac posted:

Daily boot. I sometimes work in industrial areas but they don't require steeltoe. I just live in Portland and it rains all the time.

I'd love to get a Red Wing set but there's no way I can afford it.

Since you live in Portland I recommend checking out the Danner Factory Store out on NE Airport Way. Look specifically for the factory defect/blem section; you may be able to find what you're looking for in the price point you stated.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm a sweaty, overweight goon. If I don't wear undershirts when wearing formal shirts, I'll get nasty put/sweat stains. I'd rather look dorky than gross.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My sister's in-laws have an air fryer, as do a couple friends of mine in town. I ordered an air fryer top that's compatible with Instant-Pots for my sister's birthday.

Last weekend I melted a container of shortening in a cast iron dutch oven to deep-fry stuff.

I think I'll buy an air fryer when I have the chance...

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Van Dis posted:

I need an iPhone charging cable that's longer than the standard ones and that won't immediately start to fray.

I swear Apple makes these things weak on purpose.

I've been happy with the Belkin DuraTek cables.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I have one of those too but I left it at my sister's place in MD, so I picked up the Belkin one at the nearby Target.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I got an Outdoor Research one that I like. Being able to change filters is a nice feature.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Fanny packs are awesome, if a little small. Bonus for being to swing them from rear to front when you want to sit down.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pick posted:

What's some poo poo for my kitchen that will dull the pain inside. I got a Wusthof paring knife so that suffocated the agony of existence for several minutes.

Well while it won't dull the pain of existing, a good whetstone will sharpen your new paring knife.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I saw a nice pepper grinder over in the PYF Recent Purchases thread and now I'm curious if there are models that can handle the larger-sized juniper berries.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I do have a dedicated blade coffee grinder for spices in general and that's a what I've been using . I just wanted something small & handheld as using my grinder is a little bit of a hassle to set up & clean when done using it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Duck and Cover posted:

Puny Unicorn Magnum. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mannkitchen/mannkitchen-pepper-cannon-the-pepper-mill-for-pepper-lovers Bam Pepper Cannon. This is not a suggestion it's merely a post to point out the Pepper Cannon exists.

$159 for a Pepper Cannon?!? :homebrew:

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, I'm talking about a manual burr grinder. Anything you use that isn't entirely metal is going to pick up smells, so if it was me, if I was grinding juniper, I would have that be my juniper grinder and nothing else because cleaning out something like a pepper mill, which you fill up and leave on your kitchen table, is going to smell like pepper and it's going to impart pepper smell and flavor onto anything else that goes into it. You could buy something like a Unicorn Magnum or whatever other fancy pepper grinder for it, but those are like 50 dollars. A manual conical burr coffee grinder can also be left on your kitchen table, and it should easily handle whatever large spice you through at it for half the price. Given that you're used to using a blade grinder, you don't have to spend big coffee grinder bucks on some 70-120 dollar bougie rear end camping grinder, because you're not looking for high quality coffee grind consistency. So my thought is basically, instead of buying an expensive pepper mill to handle a job they aren't generally suited for, I think a cheap manual coffee grinder would do the job for under 20 bucks. But of course, that's just my own thought on it.

Now this is a good idea. My brother-in-law has a small manual burr grinder for his morning coffee and this may be just what I want. Thanks for the suggestion!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Your Speedcrosses should be sufficient for Yosemite if it's basic hiking. If you're backpacking something to give you a little more ankle stability would be a smart move, but not entirely necessary.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Captain Invictus posted:

Simple Green is like, the most mundane of cleaning chemicals, right?

Yeah, but it works well enough and IIRC it's the least toxic compared to other detergents.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My pants of choice were the Arc'teryx Perimeter but they're discontinued. Now I run a lot of stuff from Beyond Clothing as their hiking pants are relatively similar.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
North American Rescue was having a sale on their D-BCRK Individual Bleeding Control Kits with the nylon pouch so I have one of those in my car. I need to supplement it with a general purpose first aid kit with bandages, painkillers, and an emergency blanket.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ah yeah the kit I linked is a trauma kit for extreme situations (like a car crash or similar).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Are you looking for a kettle that heats up over your stove or an electric one?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Well I may be in the market for a new washing machine. My 16 year-old LG TROMM may be more expensive to repair than getting a new unit, so I figure getting an idea of what's out there would be a smart idea.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

a sexual elk posted:

Ive had one of these for about 20 years, still works just fine. It’s in a box somewhere since I moved last year.

I had one of those when growing up. I graduated to this in college back in 1995 & never looked back:

The only issue is the middle horizontal LCD light on the far right digit is not working, so sometimes it's a little difficult to distinguish if it's a 0 or an 8.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One weird trick to make your own foie gras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've been using my Zojirushi for making quinoa lately (it helps it has that setting).

An Instant Pot has a bit more versatility but it's a true "jack of all trades, master of none." If you're limited on space I'd get one; my sister moved to a smaller spot and her Instant Pot's been :discourse:.